Office of the Foreign Affair Consul

I'm guessing that we Doughnuts are participating a lot less than the other teams, in general. With only 3-5 regular posters and the rest tossing in a comment here or there, we don't get anywhere near our potential as shown in the player list. It's impossible to ask if the other teams have many more people participating though, because to do so we'd have to reveal how little participation we have which could be disasterous.

As for balancing it, I wonder how SGOTM teams are balanced? At one point the concept was to limit the number of deity+ players on a SGOTM team and thereby ensure some balance, could an equivalent mechanism be used in future MTDG's?

It's hard though, to touch friendships by denying people's requests to join a team.

I don't think this can be solved really. In any team game, one team is stronger than another. We'll either need to recover and prevail, or take our lumps and learn from it.

First of all, sorry for the threadjack :).

Second, my comment was not meant to criticise the game admins, it was merely an observation. In part the imbalance between the teams was just like a small snowball growing larger and larger. And of course I can understand that you (the admins) didn't want to refuse people to join a certain team.

In hindsight though, probably that is just what you should have done, in the interest of all the teams. Unfortunately, we are not talking about a small imbalance here, and I can imagine that - unfortunately - this game is losing some appeal because the outcome is clear, and has been clear for quite some time now. Even for team KISS it must be somewhat boring to play a game that's almost surely won. Team Doughnut never had a great team culture, but I am pretty certain that it suffered quite a bit from our less than stellar game position. I do not know of course, but I have the impression that MIA and TNT are also less active then they were - even before Civ4 came out.

DaveShack said:
As for balancing it, I wonder how SGOTM teams are balanced? At one point the concept was to limit the number of deity+ players on a SGOTM team and thereby ensure some balance, could an equivalent mechanism be used in future MTDG's?

The SGOTM admin has the power to change teams if necessary. It's mostly done by distributing new sign-ups. He has the same problem as our admins though - it's hard to go against a team's wishes. Of course, in SGOTM you do not play directly against the other teams, so the game can be enjoyable even if you cannot win the laurels.

EDIT: Welcome Alphawolf! :wavey:

Talking to the reps of all the other teams, they have all suffered a drop in participation since civ4 release. Now as far as the game balance go's i don't think the teams were unbalanced rather the situation that evolved in the game unbalanced it, as it turns out in favour of KISS. Had TNT not gone to war things would have been different. I think the problem is having only 2 teams on one continent, because then it becomes easier to unbalance the game if one team can gain the accendancy. In hindsight maybe we all should have been on 1 continent.

I was just throwing out an idea to get other possible ideas out. I don't see the posts here as attacks, just a nice way to bring up a problem (constructive critism, if you will). This MTDG was a new thing for us all. It will no doubt be a learning experience for any future ones.

Top Bottom