Official announcement: Hot off the presses. Next Civ game in development!!!!!!!

Seems a little odd, I would have thought that they'd have waited until the end to announce Civ 7? Unless they spotted a leak about to happen and decided to beat them to it?

“In development” is both vague and obvious, no?

For reasons discussed already, these projects take a long time to “develop”…no?

“In development” is both vague and obvious, no?

For reasons discussed already, these projects take a long time to “develop”…no?
- It's the first confirmation we've of the game *actually* being in development on Firaxis side apart from job postings.
- This came from their official Twitter, and 2K responded as well,

This to me indicates that whatever they are doing, they are revving the engine up for marketing push. I honestly would be shocked if we heard nothing at all this year in regards to Civ 7 outside of this.

Also Andrew liked the post here telling everyone.

They're prepping to start the big marketing campaign for 7 one way or another and it's sooner than later.

There's no reason they would hype up and let it die down this easily.

Firaxis almost never puts the cart before the horse. That they even acknowledged anything publicly before a marketing push is nothing short of a miracle.

This does bode well for Civ 7 releasing before the end of the year. Speculatively, I'd venture an October release with marketing in earnest starting in May or June.

Seems a little sarcastic to me, like a response to people who keep bizarrely suggesting Firaxis is done with making Civ games.

I'm more of this mindset as well. They know we know and we know they know we know.

- It's the first confirmation we've of the game *actually* being in development on Firaxis side apart from job postings.
- This came from their official Twitter, and 2K responded as well,

This to me indicates that whatever they are doing, they are revving the engine up for marketing push. I honestly would be shocked if we heard nothing at all this year in regards to Civ 7 outside of this.

Also Andrew liked the post here telling everyone.

They're prepping to start the big marketing campaign for 7 one way or another and it's sooner than later.

There's no reason they would hype up and let it die down this easily.

Don't get me wrong, I am definitely ready to hand over my money for Civ 7.

What do you have in mind for a marketing push? I can't even remember how Civ 6 was announced. Trailer? Screenshot? Gameplay?

Seems a little sarcastic to me, like a response to people who keep bizarrely suggesting Firaxis is done with making Civ games.
Virtually every 2K social media account reacted within minutes. This was a coordinated social media announcement, not an intern with Twitter access subtweeting a response to a caustic remark that would only be known to people on one forum.

I'm more of this mindset as well. They know we know and we know they know we know.

Don't get me wrong, I am definitely ready to hand over my money for Civ 7.

What do you have in mind for a marketing push? I can't even remember how Civ 6 was announced. Trailer? Screenshot? Gameplay?
I believe they started off with this video for 7:

As well as your standard press release telling you how different it is from the previous iterations and what new things they are shoving in.

If this was just a sarcastic tease, then the whole of 2K wouldn't "join in". This is coordinated, if its' coordinates, its' for a purpose.

There's no way they are generating this hype, just to let it steam off in 6 months with no annoucement. That would get people fired.

I kinda assumed it has been for a while . . .
It has, for sure. They are only just now acknowledging it in a public way, aside from a few unofficial hints from devs' personal accounts.

In the past, they haven't announced anything prior to the big marketing push.

We learned about Civ VI being in development in early 2016 when a competitor's CEO remarked that they expected Civ 6 to release that year.

I remember that because a 2K dev DM'd me to ask how I learned that.

I believe they started off with this video for 7:

As well as your standard press release telling you how different it is from the previous iterations and what new things they are shoving in.

If this was just a sarcastic tease, then the whole of 2K wouldn't "join in". This is coordinated, if its' coordinates, its' for a purpose.

There's no way they are generating this hype, just to let it steam off in 6 months with no annoucement. That would get people fired.

E3 is in June, so I guess that is possible.

I'm definitely not saying that Civ 7 isn't coming. I just find the tweet to be a little underwhelming and sarcastic in tone (emojis, etc.)...

Virtually every 2K social media account reacted within minutes. This was a coordinated social media announcement, not an intern with Twitter access subtweeting a response to a caustic remark that would only be known to people on one forum.
Oh sure, I don't doubt that. Clearly everything they post is heavily coordinated and vetted. I just thought the tone with the emojis leaned a little sarcastic.

I don't think the sense that people have that Civ was "done" is limited to CFC though. I've seen the same random comments from people on Reddit or Twitter.

I don't think it's simply a sarcastic retort, but it does have a bit of a sarcastic ring to it. Either that, or it's a pretty condescending earnest wording, thinking people don't already know it...

In short, it's an official, coordinated announcement...but with a hint of sarcasm directed at the less than informed comments being made to the contrary. At least, in my opinion.

Oh sure, I don't doubt that. Clearly everything they post is heavily coordinated and vetted. I just thought the tone with the emojis leaned a little sarcastic.

I don't think the sense that people have that Civ was "done" is limited to CFC though. I've seen the same random comments from people on Reddit or Twitter.
Gen Z humor... just saying... it appeals to their demographic, after all, like Anetra in Drag Race in that one challenge, Firaxis doesn't need to do "much" for us before we lose our collective minds.

IGN did pick this up, and it also comes in line with the fact that the head of Firaxis has just switched heads Heather Hazen is the new head replacing.
"I'm thrilled to have this opportunity to carry on the studio's storied legacy, beginning with the announcement that Firaxis is in development on the next iteration of the legendary Civilization franchise"

Source : https://www.ign.com/articles/civilization-7-officially-announced-by-firaxis?utm_source=twitter

So, worst comes to worse, tweet was an annoucement for the change of heads (weirdly enough), best comes to best, it's going to lead into annoucement this year.

IGN did pick this up, and it also comes in line with the fact that the head of Firaxis has just switched heads Heather Hazen is the new head replacing.
"I'm thrilled to have this opportunity to carry on the studio's storied legacy, beginning with the announcement that Firaxis is in development on the next iteration of the legendary Civilization franchise"
That's a much more impactful statement than the tweet itself, to me. Thanks for posting that.

Well, I hope everyone is right and that this means the game's release is coming sooner rather than later.

Also, you'll note that Hazin said it's in development, as opposed to beginning development.
I appreciate that perspective! You know, I was thinking to myself that "announcing that it is in development" seemed to me like it was far off, but logically speaking I know they've had to have been working on it for a long time by now.

Your spin on it makes me more comfortable.

Top Bottom