1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Official CivBE full intro cinematic "The Chosen"

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by SupremacyKing, Oct 15, 2014.

1. SupremacyKing

SupremacyKing Prince

2. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Wow. My parent heartstrings were plucked a little when the girl was pulled away from her father. Well done.

3. Karl0413

Karl0413 Prince

4. SupremacyKing

SupremacyKing Prince

5. SupremacyKing

SupremacyKing Prince

The video is indeed really well done. You definitely feel for the people embarking on this voyage to a new world!

6. Karl0413

Karl0413 Prince

Yeah, put 28VDunrSCYk in-between the Youtube brackets. That should make yours work.

7. SupremacyKing

SupremacyKing Prince

Thanks. I fixed it now.

8. Cyon

Cyon Cosmonaut

So is this the intro movie, or is the old one the intro? Both are very well done!

9. Karl0413

Karl0413 Prince

This is the intro movie.

10. Yama951

Yama951 Chieftain

The ARC's NASA is apparently called A.R.C. Beyond Chiron. It's on the logo at the space agency.

The video shows Kavithan Protectorate, Slavic Federation, American Reclamation Corporation, and back to KP.

11. SupremacyKing

SupremacyKing Prince

This is the official intro movie that plays when you start the game. The other video was just a teaser video made for advertising the game.

12. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

It's official then.

Kavithan Protectorate is the "protagonist" faction in the game, much like how Gaians were the canonical Transcendence faction in SMAC.

13. Khaim

Khaim Prince

WMG: Civ BE is just a dream of the SMAC post-transcendence planet mind. You can tell because all the voices are the same, and they're all Deirdre.

14. Eisenhart

Eisenhart Warlord

Wait, that's strange. The other video wasn't spliced into this.

That is unusual.

15. Civ'ed

Civ'ed I ain't gotta explain a thing

Things I noticed:
    • Every Kavithan we saw had a barcode - not something we saw in the SF or at the ARC space station. Perhaps this is the dark side of the KP?
    • The presence of a priest at the SF rocket - indicates that the SF isn't as much of a rehash of the USSR.

16. COF

COF Emperor

Oh yes, this is really good. Very emotional which is something I enjoy more that BNW's lame opening.

And it isn't followed by choir chanting the same thing over and over again, so that is a very good thing in my book.

17. Lord Shadow

Lord Shadow General

Quite moving. Amazing. :eek:

Looks like the Slavic Federation is, expectedly, more like greater Russia than some analogue of the Soviet Union.

And while the older video doesn't seem to be present, either the actual full intro will have it spliced with this one, or it will appear separately (i.e. one when the game loads, and the other when you actually start a game). Because if you think about it, this intro shows bits of ARC, KP and SlavFed, whereas the other shows hints of Brasilia, Franco-Iberia and the PAU (well, a tad of ARC as well). One's focused on the beginning on the journey, while the other also has bits about the arrival. They do seem to complement each other to a fair degree.

18. janboruta

janboruta Artistriarch

I disagree (Kozlov's tech quotes are totalitarian an un-humane for example), but this one moment touched me the most in the whole video. It was something I could relate to, in a way it felt homely. The image of an out-of-place, out of his time priest among futuristic surroundings made me feel connected to the whole setting of the video. Also, I appreciate the fact that the video acknowledged faith as a human activity that is likely to stay persistent in future centuries, despite technological progress (Orthodox priest, Sikhs in the KP military).

As a side not to ARC's space program being called "Beyond Chiron", Chiron in Greek mythology was the wisest of the centaurs, who bestowed the gift of immortality upon Prometheus; another hint to the whole 'salvation of mankind' theme.

In any case, it's a beautiful conclusion to the family of exceptional Civ 5 cinematics.

19. MechMedic130

MechMedic130 Warlord

I'm getting goosies over here! Nicely made video, next week is going to be a very long week of waiting I think.

20. defiler

defiler Warlord

Very good video, thumbs up for Firaxis
    Some highlights:
    now we know a little of every faction but PAC and Polystralia, they are completly in the dark.
    Brasilia or Organization of South American States has its launch complex on Rio de Janeiro a very poluted and industrial place (If Rio is like that I guess that São Paulo is some of those places where the atmosphere is not breathable anymore that they say on harmony lvl 1 blurb)
    Franco-Iberia launch complex is on Paris, a sprawling clean and high tech metropolis
    PAU has his launch complex on Gize and the Pyramids still stand that far in the future even after suffering severe flooding
    ARC seems to have bought NASA and New York is a overcrowding city, probabilly its one of the reclamated areas
    Slavic Federation surprising enough its the one that gives a glimpse that religion still stands, and its still cold enough up there even after the aparent global warming
    Kavithan Protectorate aparently used the refugee colonists option with a great refugee camp around the launch complex and used a lottery system to chose the ones that would embark
    I really hope they would launch another small material to show how PAC and Polystralia societies are, although this close its almost impossible, maybe on the next expansion video