Official Civilization 4 Ports for Multiplayer

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Multiplayer & PBEM' started by enchanter100, Nov 14, 2005.

1. enchanter100

enchanter100 Warlord

Hey, I have been chasing down an issue where only one person can be connected to me at a time. I ended up calling take2interactive and had a pleasent experience. Not to mention helpful, they all speak with a heavy french/european accent. Well they told me the ports needed to be opened.

Clients
    2056, 2075-2079, 2081, 13139

Hosts (along with those above)

Hopefully this will help everyone. If it does, perhaps a sticky is in order?

2. kandy

kandy Chieftain

thanks for this. bit of a nub question tho - where do i alter these port settings in windows? and do i open all these ports? no idea about this stuff.

3. alco75

alco75 Warlord

4. TrailblazingScot

TrailblazingScot I was kittenOFchaos

No, it is $24.99

5. skourak

skourak Chieftain

In any case Candy, you set up port forwarding at your router setup - it is not a windows option. On most systems, you can access your router config via a browser going to http://192.168.1.1. The username/pwd was given to you from your internet provider when you received your router probably. If you feel overwhelmed, just google "port forwarding" and read a bit about it. As instructions vary over different router models, it´s not really possible to offer step by step tutorials for everyone, but if you get the idea you should be fine on your own.

My second intention with this reply is to bump this very useful information a bit. I find it noteworthy that while the civ4.ini only specifies one port (2056), technical support actually instructed you to forward a wider range. Is there any reason for this? I would assume one port for VoIP, but the rest? And what of the host-only port? Has anyone checked if any traffic actually goes through them?

6. enchanter100

enchanter100 Warlord

Something has to go through them, game wouldn't allow more then one perons to join me at a time until we all opened them up. This was a contacting peer issue.

7. risa2000

risa2000 Chieftain

Apart from the fact that this info should probably be better placed in manual from the very beginning, I would like to add to this that for 'Direct IP' only port 2056 (UDP) is used. At least it was on my setup when I tested it.

I have however encountered another problem. After changing 'Port' variable in CivilizationIV.ini I observed that in outgoing UDP packet only source port was changed (dest. remained 2056). So the intended use that all my friends will change the port number and we will simply run the game this way on alternate port is no go.

Is it bug, or feature?

8. A+ombomb

A+ombomb Actuary

Are all of these ports TCP or are some UDP or all UDP, what's the deal?

9. Quantum7

Quantum7 Warlord

10. srynas

srynas Chieftain