Official Hutama Reveal

It's also pretty reminiscent of Australia's colonial past. Whilst the Puritan settlers emigrated to America and were predominantly religious, the settlers who emigrated to Australia were a raucous bunch who were mainly inebriated most of the time. Nothing much has changed really.

I definitely like the portrayal of all the reasons we have seen so far - none of them seems a caricature or a cardboard villain (unlike SMAC) - each seems to present a valid (if different) vision of leadership.

I think that a Capitalist Model might be the best Political/Economic Model for an extra-solar Colony. This is partially why I find ARC so attractive as my first Sponsor choice in Civ:BE.

Conversely, a Polystralia led by Hutama suggests a Liberal Democracy, or at the very least lip service to such an ideology. I think that a Liberal Democracy Model might be too unfocused and chaotic to establish an enduring Colony.

Put bluntly: Do we have time to vote about every single Colony Decision while hostile aliens ravage our base?

Actually i think that ARC might be the faction that comes most close to a planned economy. Even Sochua advocates flexibility in matters of hierarchy and government to be able to live on Planet (which is impportant because the PAC seems to be a party ruled technocracy). But Fielding even says that arc will profit, after she has taken her share (very authoritarian). A corporation is basically a centralized planned economy, that has adapted the mechanisms of competition to improve its inner efficiency. In Fieldings colony there will not be liberal enterprise that Hutama advocates, there will only be the corporation and its goals. When the corporation is the state it holds al the monopolies it wants. Its basically without corruption because the system is coruppt as a default. This is not the free market and it only works, because corporations have adopted "internal pricing" in contrast to the sowiets who did not want to do that because of ideological reasons (this is explained well in Francis Spuffords "Red Plenty" which i highly recommend: its unideological, i guarantee).

The preferred form of government on planet might vary. At the beginning it would be important for the colonial government to have access to all important ressources, like a statist system with almost feudal powers, but hopefully checks and balances for personal rights and freedoms and some kind of way for the people to influence who is in charge. As the colony grows and survival is not on the line any more, people would tend to demand more rights for themselves. That can go well leading to inclusive institutions that build on consensus or towards police states that shut off people from the decision making process further. Fielding might turn towards the latter, Elodie, Reijnaldo and Kavitha probably too, Hutama, Kozlov and Barre will probably be more liberal and head towards democracy. Sochua will do what her theoretical models show as being more effective.

Ah how i miss SMACs social engineering screen...

Oh so that's why they have additional trade routes

I'm guessing that, as far as the game design is concerned, the opposite occurred - the beer part of the blurb was written to reflect the trade bonus mechanic. But imagine the designers came up with the beer idea first and then tried to come up with a mechanic to represent it? :crazyeye:

I like this image of Indonesia becoming thoroughly Australianised (an archipelago full of Muslims/former Muslims drinking beer? Why not?). But I do wish they'd tried harder to reflect how Indonesian culture had influenced Polystralia - surely he'd be using a few words of Bahasa Indonesia in his Australian English.

He does. When you meet him in game, the first thing he says is "Come, sahabat".

Top Bottom