Offworld Trading Company

Island Dog

Warlord
Offworld Trading Company has been updated with Steam Workshop support!

With this update:
  • Modding xml data for buildings, units, resources, and more
  • Writing your own C# code that can execute alongside the game's code
  • Accessing Steam Workshop easily through the game
  • Easy access to your work with a new "Mods" screen on the Start menu
  • Downloading other game mods from around the world
More info can be found here: http://forums.offworldgame.com/480908

Sounds pretty cool; I know a well-executed Workshop can make it really easy to add mods. If I understand correctly, there was already modding support, but this adds the workshop to that? Either way, definitely a game I plan to play more in 2017; I gifted another copy to a friend last week during the winter sale.

Does anyone else here play Offworld? I feel like we used to have a thread for it, maybe when it came out in early access, but it's been quite awhile since I saw any activity on it, definitely before I started playing it in September. So far I have one complete single-player campaign, the tutorials, and several multiplayer games under my belt. Would certainly be cool to do a multiplayer campaign - I'm not sure if I could get 8 players for a campaign, but being able to do 3-5 plus AIs, and continue the campaign in a subsequent session would be pretty cool.

I bought the game when it was on offer before xmas. I have not had the energy to play a game. I should start playing it really.

I often have that problem - buying a game, intending to play it, but not getting around for it for awhile, often revisiting old ones. Offworld is usually 30-45 minutes, though, and it has a fairly good interactive tutorial, so at least it's easy enough to get into once you do have the time and energy for a new game.

The Blue Chip Ventures DLC is available today!

Info: http://forums.offworldgame.com/481268/New-DLC-Blue-Chip-Ventures-is-Now-Available

Learn valuable management skills and become a better executive by undertaking a unique scenario from one of these different categories:

• Supply and Demand: They want it? You’ve got it. Focus on monopolizing resources and learn the right times to shift your focus to keep yourself ahead of your competition.
  • Play Well With Others: Can’t we all just get along? Focus on how best to handle your opponents - and also how to work well on a team with your allies to seal your victory.
  • Long-Term Planning: You’re in it for the long haul! Deal with debt strategies and turn around a losing game through careful planning.
  • Challenge: Playtime is over! These scenarios will force you to take all of the concepts you’ve learned and execute them flawlessly in order to win.

Am I the only one here getting a bloody nose from this game? I'm playing at the easiest levels and I'm being stomped.

Does anyone else find the game incredibly hard, or is it just me?

Am I the only one here getting a bloody nose from this game? I'm playing at the easiest levels and I'm being stomped.

Does anyone else find the game incredibly hard, or is it just me?
The game can be hard starting out, as it is so different from other games. It gets easier when one realizes that the goal is not to build resource chains and produce everything, but to make as much money as possible and to invest that money to make more money. That means you should specialize in fewer resources while making use of adjacency bonuses. Debt is your friend. You can take on a fair amount of it before it starts to hurt you, so it is often best to ignore life support early on and focus on HQ upgrades (to make more money that you can invest to make more money…).

I always recommend Zultar’s tutorial series as a starting point for beginners. You could also check out the spreadsheet that I put together with a friend. It contains some advice and guidelines that are useful for both beginners and intermediate level players.

The game can be hard starting out, as it is so different from other games. It gets easier when one realizes that the goal is not to build resource chains and produce everything, but to make as much money as possible and to invest that money to make more money. That means you should specialize in fewer resources while making use of adjacency bonuses. Debt is your friend. You can take on a fair amount of it before it starts to hurt you, so it is often best to ignore life support early on and focus on HQ upgrades (to make more money that you can invest to make more money…).

I always recommend Zultar’s tutorial series as a starting point for beginners. You could also check out the spreadsheet that I put together with a friend. It contains some advice and guidelines that are useful for both beginners and intermediate level players.
Thank you so much for the tips! I'll be sure to put them to good use. :)

Did the tutorials, still had trouble even playing skirmish. Getting crushed at the default setting is quite discouraging to this veteran player. I will bump down difficulty level and turn off Sabotage to see if I can get get a handle on what is going on.

I continue to be frustrated, so I won’t be purchasing this game, even for $10 (which seems to be the price available anytime from Amazon). I am happy to have tried something new.
If this experienced gamer needs videos (ugh) or a spreadsheet (double ugh) to win at the lowest difficulty level after going through the tutorials, then pardon me, but I do not think the game is particularly well designed.

Offworld Trading Company has been updated with Steam Workshop support!

With this update:
  • Modding xml data for buildings, units, resources, and more
  • Writing your own C# code that can execute alongside the game's code
  • Accessing Steam Workshop easily through the game
  • Easy access to your work with a new "Mods" screen on the Start menu
  • Downloading other game mods from around the world
More info can be found here: http://forums.offworldgame.com/480908

Rare case of a game where you can see the entire game in one picture ;)

Top Bottom