Oh catherine, we hardly recognize you

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by amboo, Sep 28, 2010.

1. jagdtigerciv

jagdtigerciv Prince

Thank you. I was actually looking for this image to post in retort to the same statement. I liked this depiction of Catherine the best.

2. neptune2000

neptune2000 Warlord

LOL @ Chuck Norris starring as Ghandi in Civ V.

Is it just me or does the CivRev version look like the uh, chest is above 4 inches too low on her torso?

I like Civ IV leaders the best. Yeah, they were sorta caricatures (Ghandi looked kinda like a 70 year old Indian Stewie Griffin/ET hybrid), but they had so much personality and emotiveness, which always made the diplo screens fun. When I wasn't playing as her, I loved to see Catherine mad. And Monty would usually irritate me into dow'ing on him.

3. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

There, as flat as a coin toss. No controversial illusions, no dress (oooppss), no marble resurfacing, not even suggestive.
    Plain metal punch currency.

4. AfterShafter

AfterShafter Deity

A picture stamped on a coin at one point in a woman's life is hardly telling in the long term. I mean...

VS

Or...

VS

Age, weight, makeup, dress, current activity... They can all "change" how a person appears at various times in one's life or even from moment to moment. Not a one of these pictures is a cast-in-iron "how Catherine looked." I'm sure she looked a lot of different ways.

5. Mutineer

Mutineer Deity

6. hardcore_gamer

hardcore_gamer King

:confused:

Why is Chuck Norris on the third image?

EDIT: Also, "AAAAAAAAAAAAAARGGHHH" at the first image of Gandhi! He looks like he's been dead for a few years and that someone simply stuffed up the corpse so that they would not have to replace him.

Just look at his face......his dead lifeless face.

7. Renergy

Renergy Warlord

Funny how many views this thread has - more than half of the dec. patch notes. :lol:

EDIT: Uh, sorry. Thought it was a recent thread, but it was begun on sept. 29.

8. Wolfwood

Wolfwood Elite Commander

Have you played Civ5 with Gandhi as your neighbour? Didn't seem too peaceful in my game... ;)

9. Slowpoke

Slowpoke The Mad Modder

Spoiler :

ugh, I hate how paintings in that era had copy/paste faces. And the woman in that picture... apparently has no breasts but instead a giant lump for a chest.

10. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

Funny...
    She also does it!

Even on Stamps, too...

11. CivFart

CivFart Warlord

I don't like having Catherine in my game, I am not capable of hating her. I am dependant on hating my competitors. I always feel sorry for her when I steal every piece and rubble that she owns. So I cant have her in the game, I feel more sadness and sexual attraction to her than I do for a good game.

12. Honorable_Pawn

Honorable_Pawn Warlord

13. Mad Hab

Mad Hab Warlord

Agreed. At least, with the "old grumpy" portrait they didn't try to use Catherine for their sexual jokes of questionable taste. I wonder why they show more respect for other leaders - I doubt she is the only historical leader to display sexual oddities in her biography...

And I also agree with this: LOL @ Chuck Norris starring as Ghandi in Civ V. :lol:

Cheers!

Mad Hab

14. Catastrophe90

Catastrophe90 Warlord

Because seeing Nebuchadnezzar or Hiawatha making thinly-veiled sexual advances to you is kinda creepy. Don't forget who the target audience is...

Speaking of Gandhi, his Civ II portrait scares the crap out of me.

15. CivFart

CivFart Warlord

The first time I came into the diplomacy screen with Nebuchadnezzar I jumped in my chair, this hellish dark environment and this jungle man yelling in my headphones, he look and talk insane.

16. Baleur

Baleur Prince

Excatly.. You all talk about how ugly she was irl or how sexeyh they made her in Civ5.

LOOK AT PETER..... His face looks even more ridiculous, yet he didnt look exactly like that in real life, nor did Catherine. Its a painting, not a photograph. Just look at their faces, it's quite obvious that they are rather incorrect in terms of "looking remotely human".

Now i'm not to blame the painter, but yeah.. The faces are ridiculous in most examples i can find.
    So to claim you know what the real Catherine looked like from a couple of hand-drawn paintings, as in her facial features, is a guess at best.
    It's a bit like Cleopatra, the history tells us of her legendary beauty, capable of seducing any man, yet the visual representations history left us shows a rather odd mutant face.
    This is beacuse they arent photographs. >_>
    Then there are rare really really good paintings of course, but those aint some of them.

17. Mad Hab

Mad Hab Warlord

And because the target audience are teenagers eager for their first sexual experience everybody else has to tolerate a sexual-driven leader? If girls become the target audience for Civ 6, wouldn't you feel alienated if, say, Ramesses flirted with you? Targeting one group does not necessarily means you have to displease all the others...

Cheers,

Mad Hab

18. Rohili

Rohili King

I think it would be amusing, actually. Makes me wanna dominate them more. :evil:

19. Slowpoke

Slowpoke The Mad Modder

Oh you're into domination rohili? :lol:

20. Rohili

Rohili King

Yeah, I love invading people's capitals... ;)