[GS] Oh, Maori

Lily_Lancer

Deity
Screen Shot 2019-10-12 at 10.01.53 PM.png

Never getting such numbers at T42.

The real advantage is that as Maori you can settle everywhere, so in most cases you have a wonder(or even multiple) to settle close to, which provide significant yields.

Also, you can invest on whatever CS you want. That's another advantage. I invest on Nan Madol. As other civs I may not even discover him so early.

Yes, continent map, not archipelago.

Last edited:
Key:
1: Early research: Directly towards Harbors. Build Harbors on every city.
2: Early Civic: Directly towards early Empire for settler +50%, then directly to Naval Tradition.
3: A city must always be producing one of the below.

Settler
Harbor
Government Plaza
Ancestral Hall
Great Pyramid

Don't waste your hammer. Buy all other things like scout or builder or lighthouse or trade routes.

Don't settle cities that are not adjcent to coast.

Builders with 1 charge can be used as scouts to explore the world.

Key:
1: Early research: Directly towards Harbors. Build Harbors on every city.
2: Early Civic: Directly towards early Empire for settler +50%, then directly to Naval Tradition.

Settler
Harbor
Government Plaza
Ancestral Hall
Great Pyramid

Don't waste your hammer. Buy all other things like scout or builder or lighthouse or trade routes.

Don't settle cities that are not adjcent to coast.

Builders with 1 charge can be used as scouts to explore the world.
i assume this is meant for a strong start that will lead to any VC without trying?
also when do you build other districts?

i assume this is meant for a strong start that will lead to any VC without trying?
also when do you build other districts?

Maori don't have "strong start", they born on ocean.

However they can settle around the world so they're sure to choose the best location to settle.

But you have said for a long time they are the worst civ because you cannot harvest resources.
You will not get nan Madol every game.
The yields of harvesting resources is reduced in the September patch.

If you don't have Nan Madol, invest on Kumasi.

If you don't have Nan Madol and Kumasi, invest on GP +% culture CS.

There's always someone worth investment if you meet all of the CSs early.

There's always some yieldful wonders on the map, but if you're not Maori you may not be able to settle there easily.

I play continents, exploration is xtremely important on continents.

What is called "useless exploration"? You give up building a builder or settler to build a scout, but that scout moves slowly in forests and finally being shot out by a barbarian archer. (or skirmisher/xbow)

What is called "exploration"? You explore all over the map with Maori's +2 movement, in ocean there's no barbarian at least in early game. You meet all Civs (that is not useful), all CSs close to coast, and collect all tribal villages. (especially those island or polar ones) You explore all coastal wonders.

Exploration is really important, but unsafe exploration by a 10-strength scout is not real exploration.

Last edited:
It was clear from elimination threads you had not played the Maori and now you have. Great, you are coming up with everything that has already come up with the Maori. Have you seen how fast sea attacks are with Maori? Why move your Toa’s on land, they are much faster at sea. The ability to guarantee a golden age, the extra production early, even the free builder and having shipbuilding. The civ is so flexible and the many abilities do make it very strong.
I guess you only see the optimum path with a civ which is harbours and free inquiry but there is so much fun and different approaches with this civ.

You attack the scout once again and yet again I point out the players that beat you start with a scout. Yes a scout is useless with a Maori, a one charge builder or a warrior is much better. Ah, I give up with you.

You attack the scout once again and yet again I point out the players that beat you start with a scout. .

You always say this. However who do you refer to? My experience is that if you first look around then restart, a scout is better. (Since you're always going the right way to villagers/CSs instead of fall directly to barb camps) But if you never restart and just play through it is better building a builder.

Wouldn't the Maori be even stronger on slower game speeds, since you have more time to explore, and spending extra turns sending your settlers to ideal locations (rather than nearby locations) doesn't cost as much since the new city wouldn't have gotten as much done in the X extra turns it took to travel?

Wouldn't the Maori be even stronger on slower game speeds, since you have more time to explore, and spending extra turns sending your settlers to ideal locations (rather than nearby locations) doesn't cost as much since the new city wouldn't have gotten as much done in the X extra turns it took to travel?

Yes, of course. If we consider Online Norway as 100 and Maori 90, On standard speed, Norway is 300 and Maori 250. (While most other Civs lie in the 0-70 range)

Maori can reach 1,000 science and culture per turn on standard speed before 1AD.

Though being too strong on standard speed, Maori is still strong enough on online speed.

seems to me pretty much any time you find Nan Madol, and are in position to spam coastal cities, the game is won already. I guess the Maori would have a small edge in increasing the likelihood of meeting those criteria...but they can't do anything to change the fact Nan Madol is not in the game. Yes, usually there is some decent CS to invest in...but Nan Madol is better by orders of magnitude (for this strategy) than any other CS aside from Auckland.

seems to me pretty much any time you find Nan Madol, and are in position to spam coastal cities, the game is won already. I guess the Maori would have a small edge in increasing the likelihood of meeting those criteria...but they can't do anything to change the fact Nan Madol is not in the game. Yes, usually there is some decent CS to invest in...but Nan Madol is better by orders of magnitude (for this strategy) than any other CS aside from Auckland.

You also have Auckland or Kumasi. If you meet everyone there's enough freedom to select the best one, instead of competing on a single useless CS with 3 other Civilizations since that's the last remaining CS on the continent so everyone invest dozens of envoys trying to get a Suzerain even if that Suzerain doesn't work really well. (e.g. Imagine 3 Civs, each having a dozen envoy at Preslav)

Key:

Settler
Harbor
Government Plaza
Ancestral Hall
Great Pyramid

Forgive my noob ways, but is Government Plaza just for loyalty bonuses, or is for Settler Spam. Or a little of column A and column B?

Forgive my noob ways, but is Government Plaza just for loyalty bonuses, or is for Settler Spam. Or a little of column A and column B?
the loyalty bonus is situational. The main advantages of the government plaza come from the adjacency bonus it provides, governor titles and the bonuses from the buildings you use. Settling with Ancestral Hall is a common (and powerful) strategy. Each tier of buildings had useful additions, some more than others.

Another popular choice seems to be the Grand Master's Chapel for tier 2 governments if you have a lot of faith. Although if you have already built your army by then I dont see the point, I like the extra spy from Intelligence Agency.

Tier 3 buildings can be pretty strong for specific victory conditions. Royal society is good for a SV, helps speed up the victory projects.

Top Bottom