1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Oh no I got ... as my nieghbor

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Ryski, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Leucarum

Leucarum King

Glad someone else has the same reaction to Pedro's music. I usually disable the Indonesia/Khmer pack for the same reason :/

2. bbbt

bbbt Deity

The Zulu themselves are famous as an avatar of anticolonial resistance (largely on their defeat of the British at Isandlwana), but Shaka himself actually largely predates that.

But I agree in general, I think he's largely in the game as 'Zulu' was a very popular movie for some of Sid Meier's generation, so it probably made them the first subsaharan african nation he thought of frankly.

3. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Emperor

Shaka. Gotta finish him early before he takes off means to postpone building plans. And he's far more dangerous than e.g.Alex to me...
    And I never never get on good terms with China. Qin always hates my guts and declares sooner or later. So the later I meet him the better... :rolleyes:

4. Rosty K

Rosty K King

Both Indias. One will cover your land with religious units, another will hate you because you exist.

On a slightly different note, I like when Alex, Shaka and Montezuma end up next to each other. Keeps them entertained for the whole game and they don't mess with me :D

5. ezzlar

ezzlar Emperor

This. From the worst to the best.

6. Ownsya

Ownsya Warlord

I recently learned about Ghandi's darker, less known, side. Apparently he was quite a racist amongst other things and not as peaceful (ideologically) as he's usually portrayed in history. Made me wonder if the nukes meme is intentional to reflect that?

Stacked_Deck likes this.
  7. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

I can usually befriend most civ's early on, including Chandragupta. Just gotta be johnny-on-the-spot with delegations, open borders, and have some vestige of strength.

Still, I do hate Chandragupta because the elephants are just ridiculous. There's no effective counter except to tech past them.

Russia is painful even in friendship due to the land grab, so that wins the top spot for me. And if you try to found your own religion, he will generally spam missionaries ad infinitum in a shameless attempt to extinguish your religion. Since it now requires diplomatic favor to ask for a promise not to convert more cities, which an early player may not have, I usually have to denounce and DOW just to save the religion I worked for.

8. labellavienna

labellavienna Warlord

I hate it when i get syondeck as my neighbor...she is really truly awful =\

9. Ownsya

Ownsya Warlord

Yea I'm aware of this theory you explained above, and it does seem likely. It's also funny and I always believed it to be the case. But then I heard about Ghandi's darker side, how he was actually quite orthodox in thinking, supported the caste system, was racist towards the blacks of south africa, and his differences with Dr. Ambedkar in Indain politics. It got me thinking, humor me:

CIv's team are history buffs, they must know all about Ghandi and all the other leaders in the game. They could've fixed this "bug" a long time ago but decided to leave it. Could be it's just a popular joke and why not since it's just a game after all. But maybe there's a deeper reason the left it in. Maybe it started as a bug, but then the developers decided to keep it as a serendipitous, historical easter egg. That way they get to reflect some of Ghandi's less known history without creating controversy. :eek:

I'm no historian, and I'm not even sure how accurate my info is. It's just an alternate theory regarding the nuke meme that I find amusing.

10. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

There is no alternate theory. There was a simple bug and that's all there was. Ghandi can be a complex person and a bug can just be a bug.

11. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

I believe you and many others may find intriguing this video about how did the nuclear Gandhi bug happened in Civilization. Or did it even really happen at all???

Also, guys, unless the leader being allegedly 'racist' IRL and all that gives some quantifiable and apparent bonuses or debufs in-game to make him a scary or likeable neighbour, please discuss such stuff in off-topic thread or similar...

Meluhhan and Ownsya like this.
  12. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I doubt it, most of this was unknown to us average gamers in the west (specifically the U.S.) until very recently in liberal news articles. I'm not going to get into that, as mentioned above, it's best left for off topic. I'm just saying it wasn't widely known. I only found out about it from an article I read like 6 months ago.

13. James_Champagne

James_Champagne Warlord

Oddly enough I've never really encountered the "Psycho Nuke Gandhi" thing. In all the games I've played with him it either wasn't one of his attributes, or he ended up getting wiped out early on in the game (usually by me, as for whatever reason he tends to be one of the civs closest to me quite often).

Japan is a civ I really don't like having as a neighbor, because they seem to really go overboard with the missionaries/apostles/warrior monks.

14. Linklite

Linklite Prince

Gotta say, Teddy is a great big flipping hypocrite. On my current game I start out next to him as Alexander. We got pretty chummy, then out of the blue, he surprise DoWs me. I have next to no army but plenty of resources and gold, so I rush an army out to hold off the American hordes, then manage to produce an army to wipe the floor with his. I get a few catapults and capture half of his cities to bring him to the bargaining table. We settle for peace with significant compensation for the troubles he caused me (it was while I was still establishing my first couple of cities, a crucial time for me).

Two turns later, I get a message off of him (paraphrasing, I can't remember the exact words) "Thank you for helping estabilish peace on our continent!" I wanted to curse!

Anyway, on topic, I hate starting next to Curtin, he always wants to DoW me when I'm wanting to focus on my cities and getting them productive. No one else seems to do that (except Teddy, once).

17th Sep: edited a few spelling mistakes.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  15. bengalryan9

bengalryan9 King

As a mostly peaceful player, Alex gets on my nerves just for constantly asking me why I'm not at war.

Eurritz likes this.
  16. kb27787

kb27787 Deity

Perhaps you understand why once an AI declares on me without a cause (and even seemingly despite our various friendly modifier, my kindness and gifts, and the fact that he couldn't hope to hold my cities due to loyalty anyway... just to be nasty for the sake of it) I settle for nothing less than total annihilation of their accursed race...

And the other civs somehow think I'm the bad guy.

17. Chefofrats

Chefofrats Prince

Obviously I dislike the overly aggressive neighbours, and the ones whose agendas are impossible to satisfy (looking at you, Gorgo and Alexander, for disliking my peaceful empire building). But what gets on my nerves the most are the Civs with obnoxious musical themes, and Maori top that list. Cultural sensitivity aside, I simply cannot stand all that aggressive shouting. It feels like playing while the nighbours are having a drunken party. The Georgian chanting annoys me too. I guess I just prefer non-vocal tunes as background music.

18. Connor_CivFan

Connor_CivFan Chieftain

I hate agressives, awful to play with

19. SagarRathore

SagarRathore Chieftain

Please Guys stop ur Gandhi bashing,most of things are pure judgemental nd out of context of civfanatics .Whether u like Gandhiji or not ,nd how much u know about him to judge him nd India as a civilization?
    Please make sure to limit discussion to civ 6.

Meluhhan likes this.
  20. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

They are like any bully, once they have a bloody nose they learn to behave

Eurritz and Deadly Dog like this.