Oh, the weather outside is...

North America is full of places named "New ______." People want a fresh start but still have nostalgia for where they came from.
Yes, but it can't be that the state was already in the US when it was named by people who migrated there from Mexico as colonists. I have to suppose it had that name before, as part of the empire of Mexico, and was conquered by US in their war, yet US kept the name.

Yes, but it can't be that the state was already in the US when it was named by people who migrated there from Mexico as colonists. I have to suppose it had that name before, as part of the empire of Mexico, and was conquered by US in their war, yet US kept the name.
That seems the most likely explanation, and since they couldn't call it just "Mexico", they decided to add a "New" onto it and call it a win.

Or at least that's my guess. This isn't something that was ever covered in any history class I took either in school or college.

I checked the map, but was mostly interested in that the state is called New Mexico. Was it annexed by US in the war against Mexico? (and if so, was it called that already at the time?)
Certainly would never happen in Europe, to keep such a name, we like to rename stuff or return them to their name back when they were in the country prior to being taken ;)

North America is full of places named "New ______." People want a fresh start but still have nostalgia for where they came from.

Well, no. Cortez conquered the Aztecs (capital in the the Valley of Mexico) ~1519. In 1541 The first settlement attempt was made by the Spanish into the Rio Grande Valley. It failed, but likely introduced horses into the wilds of the southwest. In 1598 a second settlement attempt (successful) was made and the provincial kingdom of Santa Fe de Nuevo Mexico as part of New Spain was established. The name was derived from the riches of the Aztec's Valley of the Mexica in hopes that the Pueblos of the region would be as lucrative a conquest. Alas, no such luck. The Camino Real (road) was built connecting Santa Fe with Mexico City. The region's name carried over through the Spanish Empire, the Mexican Empire, the Mexican Republic, US territory and finally statehood in 1912.

Tenochtitlan was in the Valley of the Mexica (Aztecs). Not long after the conquest, the Spanish shortened the city's name to Mexico ; by the mid 1600s, the name Mexico had been expanded to include the whole region from New Mexico (Rio Grande) south to the Yucatan. So the process went from Tenochtitlan in the Valley of the Mexica > Mexico City > Santa Fe de Nuevo Mexico (Valley of the Rio Grande) > Mexico being applied to more than just a city in New Spain > Mexico as a nation that included New Mexico as a region > NM as a US territory > NM as a State.

The prediction for today is that it will probably drop below 30°C around 11 PM.
This will be the first time for a long time that I'll go for a run to the gym, and not outside. This is unbearable.
That sounds like what we had last summer. Thankfully it hasn't been as bad this year. So far. We had 30C temperatures in September one year, which was insane. Normally we get first frost in September and already one snowfall in the mountains. Sometimes first snow happens here in September (it doesn't stay). But not that year. I spent most of the month at the mall, as my suite faced west and I had no fan or AC. I made up beds and put water for the cats in the kitchen (only room besides the bathroom without a window) and left.

This year seems to have a lot of tornado activity. Nothing close to me, though (no complaints about that!).

Some (ie. at least a taffy tabloid) are calling this an 'E.T.' weather system

Spoiler I do not get it :

What don't you get? The eyes, the nose, and head shape are all there - just tilt your head about 45 degrees counterclockwise.

omg, it's disgusting outside. I hate Summer.

Still terrible, but supposedly getting a little better:

1662404076331.png

This is the first year in awhile that we didn't get snow in September. The leaves just started turning in the last couple of weeks, so fall is late this year.

I don't mind. I have a medical appointment in a week and a half and prefer not to have to take my walker out in the snow (should make sure I have my broom packed...).

This is the first year in awhile that we didn't get snow in September. The leaves just started turning in the last couple of weeks, so fall is late this year.

I don't mind. I have a medical appointment in a week and a half and prefer not to have to take my walker out in the snow (should make sure I have my broom packed...).

Isn't there time for it to snow before then? Is the forecast too warm for snow?

Edit: here in DC we've had a textbook changing of the seasons, with it getting gradually colder until now lows are just above 40F.

Top Bottom