1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Oh yes, oh god yes. (diplo changes)

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Baleur, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Dark_Jedi06

Dark_Jedi06 "Deus ex Machina."

Seems an appropriate place to write this.

I demanded that Alexander not settle near me; he declined. He then takes the spot I wanted for my next city just as I churn out the necessary settler. In anger, I declare war and manage to take the city. I raze it and build my new city, then sue for peace. Alexander accepts...the problem? Supposedly we're still "Friendly"! And the tooltip doesn't even say something like "You razed one of their cities!" or "You declared war on us!".

Step in the right direction, but it seems like this still needs some work... :crazyeye:

2. fcolmenarez

fcolmenarez Chieftain

Unless he figured he deserved it for settling near you: "Damn, that bastard means business, quick make Friendly Gestures!!!!!"

3. digitCruncher

digitCruncher Emperor

This is the BEST PATCH EVER!

This makes this game better and more fun to play than Civ IV. I have noticed a few AI oddities in combat, but they never run straight up to me with archers or seige now... (although they still haven't managed to get enough units to make combined arms useful ... but at higher difficulties and with more units I am a little apprehensive of how good the combat is)

Diplo is fun now! I have managed to negotiate a 4 civ bloc (Me, Mongolia, China and India) against the other three civ bloc (Germany, America and the Ottomans). I am sure that didn't happen in previous CiV installments, although it could have happened and I missed it.

A couple of diplo things from Civ IV haven't been moved in, however. As Dark_jedi said, there is no "You declared war on us" penalty (although there IS a "You are at war with us" penalty), no "You are at war with our friends", and no "We are fighting a war against the same opponent" bonus. In short, war seemingly has no effect on diplomacy!!

But practically everything else I do has an obvious effect on diplomacy. I steal Englands City state... "You are competing with the same city state as I am". Decline to slow my spread towards England? "You refused to stop settling near me". Decline a request of resources for a friend? "You didn't help us after having a pact of cooperation!" [Thankfully, as Arabia, I don't get that often. Although I feel annoyed that they are asking for resources I only have one of, rather than those I have multiples of]. And my favorite? Mongolia is a little annoyed that "You are being too aggressive with your expansion of cities"

I love the new translucent diplomacy. Far better than the transparent diplomacy of Civ IV where you were doing maths instead of thinking about people. Pity war seemingly has no effect on how happy people are... [Except for the "We fear you are a warmongerer" penalty, of course]

4. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

Terrifying looking dude now - indeed.
    Excellent visual introduction.
    I got goose-bumps, i tell you.

5. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

I seem to recall the maximum of 28 (0 to 27, and first CS being #28) from the debug panel - that would only leave room for 5 more after that, right?
    Unless sequencing ID's is a programmable GlobalDefines wreck of a loop inside multiple other files - by modders!
    :lol:

6. Slowpoke

Slowpoke The Mad Modder

Well, you can play with more civs than you have, you'll just end up with a whole lot of bismarks.

7. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

No, i meant for DLC perspectives (Mongol=18, Babylon=19, Spain=20, Inca=21, ... etc), as in slots validated for runtime-inclusion at setup.

8. PAnz3r

PAnz3r Chieftain

so, anyone can write down an overall judment about the new diplo or we must continue to have it piece meal? X)

i need to go home for test it myself.

9. MAntoninus

MAntoninus Chieftain

I was playing on a simple standard map with an extra 2 civs...and I about lost my mind on Diplo spam.

Greece had a half dozen CS allies and every time they did anything - the whole "shiny button on the left" thing becomes a bit maddening when you have 10-20 updates a turn.

10. kaltorak

kaltorak Emperor

I don't have time to test it either and I'm reading oposite things in each post.

One even says "Good, now AIs finally declare war if you piss them off" :confused:
    I think he was playing the sims V by mistake xD

11. PAnz3r

PAnz3r Chieftain

lol.

i've just think " i can abort this boring work day to go home and test it if no one can write down a concrete jugdment"

X)

12. frost_maze

frost_maze Chieftain

I had a public declaration of friendship with the Ottomans... until they denounced me out of the blue.

It was listed on the diplomacy screen as "Backstabbed You". :sad:

I didn't think of killing him until I saw the backstab message. Buhahaha.:crazyeye:

13. Baleur

Baleur Prince

I dont know what concrete judgement to give, i'm just really liking the diplomacy so far, it seems to make sense, but i'll reserve my ZOMGpErFeCt statement until i've come to the future age (playing on epic, +50% research cost mod) and seen how things pan out :)

But so far so good, been at 3 mutual wars against Mongolia..
    Me, Siam and Rome (now the Arabs and Chinese have started to join in) are all cuddly cutesy, declaring mutual war on Mongolia (same request from the three civs the same turn).
    lol =p

Note how Siam expands along the east coast, instead of west into my face. Nice little neutral buffer-zone between our lands.
    It would be very cool indeed if this lasts to the modern age, an entire continent of allies (minus mongolia, nubs!), vs the rest of the still unexplored world.

14. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Yay for more transparent gameplay. It really should be a cornerstone of design, so it's good that they've got around to it with diplomacy.

15. lschnarch

lschnarch Emperor

Is that a maritime settler at Samarkand?

16. Evilsooty

Evilsooty Chieftain

I'm liking it so far. Before it was inconceivable that I could strike up any sort of friendship up with the AI. Now just 300 turns into my game I am trading and fighting alongside India and Mongolia (a nice combination :)) with no backstabbing yet and even have a defensive pact with Ghandi, who sensibly grabbed it immediately when I offered it due to my having a sizable army.

17. JohnnyW

JohnnyW Gave up on this game

They probably captured it from Mongolia, seeing as how they are aligned with the human player.

18. Baleur

Baleur Prince

Wtf!! You are right.. LoL :lol:

19. black213

black213 Emperor

So you are their god.

20. PAnz3r

PAnz3r Chieftain

sounds realy Moderator Action: <removed inapropiate language>
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889 good :D