Oil tanker rescues eco-failboat

DBear

unbeliever
Eco-sailors rescued by oil tanker

The Fleur crew were rescued by the Overseas Yellowstone in strong winds
An expedition team which set sail from Plymouth on a 5,000-mile (8,000km)carbon emission-free trip to Greenland have been rescued by an oil tanker.

The team, which left Mount Batten Marina in Plymouth on 19 April in a boat named the Fleur, aimed to rely on sail, solar and man power on a journey to and from the highest point of the Greenland ice cap.

The expedition was followed by up to 40 schools across the UK to promote climate change awareness.

But atrocious weather dogged their journey after 27 April, culminating with the rescue on 1 May after the boat was temporarily capsized three times by the wind.

In one incident Mr Stoddart hit his head and the wind generator and solar panels were ripped from the yacht.

The crew were 400 miles (644km) off the west coast of Ireland when they sent a mayday to Falmouth coastguards who co-ordinated the rescue with Irish coastguards.

Technology. It works, . .. .. .. .. .es.

source, please?

all I see is a heavily edit text you stole from somewhere.

So what's the point of this? Are you just being an ass and making fun of people for trying to do something new and innovative that people like you wouldn't have the balls to undertake? I really don't see any other point to this thread. :confused:

With this sort of mindset towards new ways of doing things, the future is indeed auspicious. :rolleyes:

I guess it would be the irony of it being saved by an oil tanker.
Edit: bigdog beat me to it you gotta admit its pretty funny though.

Irony is indeed funny, provided that it isn't politically motivated.

I chuckled.

Although the irony is striking, I do have to say that the eco-boat was a very commenable effort.

And by the way, aren't solar and wind energy generators technology? It's moreso the size and scope of the boat that caused the mission to fail, not so much the green technology.

And by the way, aren't solar and wind energy generators technology?

Yeah, which is what I don't get about the OP. Does it assume that eco means going primitive or does it think that technology sucks?

Eco-technology is cutting edge compared to diesel engines or whatever powers the traditional oil tanker. So cutting edge that many people still distrust it, which may or may not be good depending on the extent and circumstance. Going green certainly entails a revolutionary reduction in the expansion of consumption, but it also means coming up with new technology to help accommodate population growth and both to push the limits of the earth's capacity and to keep production within that capacity (i.e. sustainable).

...this isn't irony.

Let's just agree that whether it's an eco-sailboat or an oil-tanker, going out on the high-seas is awesome. (Unless, it's a cruise ship and you're not the captain or mega first class then it sucks)

So what's the point of this? Are you just being an ass and making fun of people .........blah blah blah
No, not him, but it might be me! :p
Irony is indeed funny, provided that it isn't politically motivated.
You're the only one injecting politics in this.
Let's just agree that whether it's an eco-sailboat or an oil-tanker, going out on the high-seas is awesome. (Unless, it's a cruise ship and you're not the captain or mega first class then it sucks)
Or unless your stuck on a damn flat bottom boat in rolling seas........... bend over to tie your boot & diarrhea your pants......... not so awesome.

Top Bottom