OK, I'm mad now

}{ELL/\/()

Warlord
So I was perfectly willing to overlook gameplay flaws and balancing issues because I figured it would all get fixed in patches and mods. I just won the first game I bothered playing to completion for a space race victory.

Step 1. Research Techs-- same ole same ole
Step 2. Build Spaceship-- hmm not many parts, why cant I look at my spaceship in progress
Step 3. Assemble
Step 4. Instant Win

OK, that weird, im used to like 10-20 turns for the spaceship to make it there, im also used to a more complex spaceship but whatever. What I really am pissed about is... no victory video.

Really, just a screen saying I won wow, its like when you know you have to take a dump really bad, you are on the toilet for like 30 minutes and this tiny little poop comes out. All that work for that? Oh and then when I exit to menu, no witty screen comparing me to a historical ruler? Not only is there no toilet paper but that little nugget is somehow the messiest dump of your life.

Ya deadlines, and rushing whatever. How hard would it be to create a different cutscene for each victory / for defeat? How hard would it be to make some stupid screen with an animation on it that uses an algortihm to give a name to how well you played. Oooh look I had 1423 points. Lets compare.

Other things that are mainstays of the civ series that would take little to no effort:
Top cities screen.
Wonders screen
Graphs
Palace/Throne Room

Like really, that stuff doesnt affect gameplay at all but it affects satisfaction. It feels like Im getting a finished product, I get a pointless reward for happy citizens (throne/palace) I can measure myself vs other civs (graphs, wonders, top cities).

Moderator Action: Inappropriate/Offensive analogy removed.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Step 2. Build Spaceship-- hmm not many parts, why cant I look at my spaceship in progress

You can, it's on the launchpad that appears on the map next to the city you built the Apollo Program in. Admittedly, it's easier to look at it if you enabled debug zoom in the config file, because it's not very large.

OK, that weird, im used to like 10-20 turns for the spaceship to make it there, im also used to a more complex spaceship but whatever

From BtS, I assume, because the expanded spaceship victory was not in Civ IV vanilla.

What I really am pissed about is... no victory video.

Yes that's a bid sad in general, with all the victory types.

To add insult to injury, there actually *is* a spaceship launch animation. It does take off from the map and it's nice enough to watch if a bit on the short side, but you have to be really fast clicking that "one more turn" button!

Oh and then when I exit to menu, no witty screen comparing me to a historical ruler?

Uh, that one is there. The moment the game came out, people started posting threads that they immediately made Augustus Caesar...

Ya deadlines, and rushing whatever. How hard would it be to create a different cutscene for each victory / for defeat?

It's not a matter of how hard, more of how many easy things can we do in a given time span. The game has more serious flaws. I was disappointed too but this is the way it works.

Your degenerate analogies are neither clever nor amusing.

The victory screens ARE a tad bit abrupt. When I first achieved mine, I thought maybe the ship would blastoff from the tile it was built on (Even though I was still expecting the simple window after past domination and diplo victories). :( At least it's cool actually transporting the components; I guess.

On the other hand, after achieving victory so many times, do you really want to sit and watch the video again? It's brief and to the point, just like the nice Wonder paintings you get. At least it's narrated. :lol:

Perhaps during production they decided to use simple pictures on things like wonders and victories so that they can spend more time on the leader diplomacy environments that pop-up more frequently during the game. (if their argument wasn't that you'd get tired of seeing it after a while) Who knows? :dunno:

I agree with you regarding the Wonders screen. Unless I'm missing something, sometimes it's difficult to remember if a wonder was constructed or not and what's still available to try and research towards. Currently, I think the only way is to scroll thru the message history... or to find you can't build it, but by that time you already wasted your time researching towards it instead of another tech.

Graphs would be alright. Something to show everybody's progress and to see where you and/or certain civ's peaked in power or skyrocketed from at the end of the game. Though, I don't think I'd like that data available during the game. I personally prefer the abstract information given by the advisors, like the military one who tells you how you measure-up to other civ's.

The Throne Room I can REALLY live without. It would be similar to the silly banner which appears every now and then across the screen. I would probably get just as annoyed with the Throne Room popping up periodically as I do with that banner. I remember it being a nuisance back when I played Civ2.

Well, there ya go... there's my personal preferences. :D

I don't know why anyone likes that "wait 10-20 turns after launching before victory" feature to begin with. In addition to being totally boring, it doesn't make any sense. What, is your spaceship going to turn around and go surrender itself to your conquerers if your capital gets burned down before it lands??

The whole mechanism where "better" ships can get there faster could maybe work out if the game had more depth to the project, but no Civ has ever had that, really. It's always just been about collecting techs and building 1+ of all the required parts. Not that I think it would be an improvement to make that part way more complicated...

The victory videos have always been lame/cheesy.

I just want a game replay.

It does blast off from the map, at least it has always done so for me. But you can't see it if you don't close the victory dialog quickly enough.

Oddly enough, if you continue the game after your victory, the spaceship reappears at the launchpad outside your capital and blasts off again in every subsequent turn. So you can watch it over and over again and pretend that's your video, I guess? :undecide:

But yeah, the anticlimax of winning any kind of victory is pretty bad. Reminds me of the Strong Bad Teen Girl Squad vids - "It's OVER!!"

The Throne Room I can REALLY live without. It would be similar to the silly banner which appears every now and then across the screen. I would probably get just as annoyed with the Throne Room popping up periodically as I do with that banner. I remember it being a nuisance back when I played Civ2.

I know im probably in an extreme majority but i secretly loved the throne room in civ2 :)
surely they could somehow intertwine that with the advisor panel, with a display from the view of your throne out upon the room with the advisor information displayed on it. and the room develops as you pass through the ages and on your social policies and country etc.
just anything they can do to add flavour and immersion to this boring board game!

edit: oh and yes lame ending to any victory, not that i actually bother to play 3/4 of games to the end since theres too many game play issues but thats a whole other story

The whole mechanism where "better" ships can get there faster could maybe work out if the game had more depth to the project, but no Civ has ever had that, really. It's always just been about collecting techs and building 1+ of all the required parts. Not that I think it would be an improvement to make that part way more complicated...

I'm pretty sure that Civ 4 BTS had this. You could choose to build the bare-minimum number of parts, resulting in a longer voyage to Alpha Centauri - or you could build more parts before launching resulting in a shorter trip (less turns to wait before victory).

I'm pretty sure that Civ 4 BTS had this. You could choose to build the bare-minimum number of parts, resulting in a longer voyage to Alpha Centauri - or you could build more parts before launching resulting in a shorter trip (less turns to wait before victory).

Which is the way it worked all the way back to civ 1.

I don't know which games you're talking about, certainly not earlier Civs:

Civ2 ending
Civ3 ending (just... beautiful, made you wanting to finish another game straight away it was so awesome
Civ4 ending

Civ5 ending :rolleyes:
For some reason it took me a while to find that screen, seems that nobody was proud enough to present just the victory screen... In this movie you need to scroll to 4:57, and... Rejoice, I guess... :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm a silly rusty old fart, and I'm supposed to feel guilty that I enjoyed greatly: victory movies, different outfits for leaders in different eras, and the throne room. But you know what? I could live with that "streamlining" if I could see improvement in other aspects of the game (AI coding anyone?). But there's no improvement here at all, only cutting corners with same lame excuse "oh modders will fix it, (so-called) "not complaining" people will love it because it's civ so let's fire more stuff from our company"

I know im probably in an extreme majority but i secretly loved the throne room in civ2 :)
surely they could somehow intertwine that with the advisor panel, with a display from the view of your throne out upon the room with the advisor information displayed on it. and the room develops as you pass through the ages and on your social policies and country etc.
just anything they can do to add flavour and immersion to this boring board game!

edit: oh and yes lame ending to any victory, not that i actually bother to play 3/4 of games to the end since theres too many game play issues but thats a whole other story

omg yes, i loved the throne room in Civ II.

Civ2 ending
Civ3 ending (just... beautiful, made you wanting to finish another game straight away it was so awesome
Civ4 ending

For some reason it took me a while to find that screen, seems that nobody was proud enough to present just the victory screen... In this movie you need to scroll to 4:57, and... Rejoice, I guess... :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm a silly rusty old fart, and I'm supposed to feel guilty that I enjoyed greatly: victory movies, different outfits for leaders in different eras, and the throne room. But you know what? I could live with that "streamlining" if I could see improvement in other aspects of the game (AI coding anyone?). But there's no improvement here at all, only cutting corners with same lame excuse "oh modders will fix it, (so-called) "not complaining" people will love it because it's civ so let's fire more stuff from our company"

This made me sad. Civ II and III had awesome endings.

Also, I loved the Civ II throneroom too. It was a brilliant feature, if a little theme dependant.

No victory video? That's what you're mad about? Wow, this whole band wagon of hatred thing has gone too far.
Especially for you, since it seems I didn't get the message across, here's a replay with highlights :goodjob:

Civ2 ending
Civ4 ending

Yeah, I'm a silly rusty old fart, and I'm supposed to feel guilty that I enjoyed greatly: victory movies, different outfits for leaders in different eras, and the throne room. But you know what? I could live with that "streamlining" if I could see improvement in other aspects of the game (AI coding anyone?). But there's no improvement here at all, only cutting corners with same lame excuse "oh modders will fix it, (so-called) "not complaining", a.k.a "perfect customers" people will love it because it's civ so let's fire more staff from our company"

There, the red large font. I hope you understand me now :)

Uh, that one is there. The moment the game came out, people started posting threads that they immediately made Augustus Caesar...

I clicked the one more turn button because I wanted to drop some nukes to see what they were like and I guess if you do that you cant find the ranking screen again (or maybe its hidden).

I would like to see victory movies also. Wonder movies I can live without, actually I prefer the new paintings. But victory movies, I hope they eventually include via patch or expansion.

Top Bottom