1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Ok so what do Rock Bands actually do?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by tiamats4esgares, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Just doin some tests tonight

1. Rock bands are killed by nukes - tested.
    2.Below is a level 2 rock band ... I have not chosen promotions for it. It still rolls odds as a level 2 rock band. In its stats wether it be level 1 or 2 it has 15XP, I guess that was to ensure the first promotion. As I have got to level 2 without doing my first promotion, it is lost
    3. I managed to get a level 1 rock band to roll a 0 (6 stars) and so definately confirmed. Attached is the test file , 100 tests of level 1
    upload_2019-7-16_21-50-32.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    DanQuayle likes this.
  2. Troy Bruckner

Troy Bruckner Prince

What I find funny about rock bands is the better the Ai plays the more useful/powerful rock bands are. I really hate when the game keeps giving me the choice to perform at 2 levels higher on a water park. I have never seen the Ai build a water park.

3. Victoria

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    DanQuayle and acluewithout like this.
  4. DanQuayle

DanQuayle Prince

Good to know that my probabilities hold up (and that the only conflicting result was because a level1 rock band roll is 0-195 and not 1-196).

Question: Are all promotions equiprobable and independent events?
    If so, it would be possible to calculate/simulate expected rock band life(measured in concerts performed), expected tourism output (pre/post Hallyu), etc.

5. Victoria

This appears to be the case. I did groups of 20 last night in the same turn and they were pretty random.
    We have 4 venue values, 5 tourist bomb values and a large range of possible album sales.
    Is it possible to calculate? I guess so ... will I calculate is the question and the answer is no, I am happy to surmise but beyond that is beyond my willingness.
    As for post Hallyu....just not sure how to answer that one. Would you take anything but +2 wonder promo's?

I was wondering about the rock star promotion, if it took money off the civ but realised that would be very nasty indeed.

It was weird on the promo side, they did seem to be running out in the end like apostle ones do, seems to be along the same mechanic.

6. DanQuayle

DanQuayle Prince

I might do it then, once I get really bored.
    Pre/Post Hallyu odds are different since post-Hallyu, you are guaranteed a +2 level promotion. Pre-Hallyu rock bands are thus more risky and have shorter expected life / expected tourism output.
    To mitigate this risk, you need to build a lot of rock bands and thus need a lot of faith. Then the question becomes: how much faith do you need in average to close/win the game with rock bands?
    If you don't have enough faith, should you wait for Hallyu?
    If your 5 first rock bands didn't get a +2 level promotion, how many more rock bands do you need?
    etc.

Post-Hallyu (depending how far you are to victory), you can pick a +2 level promo (non-wonder) for higher survivability, build up your album sales and then choose +2 level for wonders for higher tourism output since wonder locations are limited. (higher risk/higher reward).
    If you are closer to victory, +2 level from wonders straight up is better and faster.

If you wait for Hallyu and haven't won a CV yet, this probably means there is another player with a strong culture output, which means he has or is close to getting the Music Censorship card which means you also need the Goes to 11 promotion.

But, all of this is kind of moot in practice since you can win a CV before these questions become relevant...

Victoria likes this.
  7. Troy Bruckner

Troy Bruckner Prince

They way games go the Civ with the high culture output would not be close to another Civ, so I can see building up several cities next to said Civ and gift the cities to another Civ just to be able to use your rock bands with the Goes to 11 ability.

8. Victoria

I have played 3 pure rock band CV’s. None were an issue needing about 12k faith each and taking the approach of playing everything on wonders of the highest Culture person. You will find all the other +2’s are at 250 tourism venues and tbh it just does not seem worth it. You know CV is all about the longer you leave it, the steeper the curve. I just did some rough calculations and decided you may as well just play wonders, after all the leading culture civ normally has quite a few. This ended up in all 3 games with no OP rock bands but a faster culture win.
    I would be interested in a more empirical assessment though.
    You know that’s down to RND and we are only talking about 20-30 rolls so it’s not like it is law of averages stuff.

I have one save if you want to try, Khmer, was a game I got 10 cities to 30 pop that I reused... They have about 19k faith. Faith nowadays is just too easy to come by.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  9. Troy Bruckner

Troy Bruckner Prince

All this talk about rock bands and wonders of the world makes me want to post this :

Victoria likes this.
  10. Victoria