1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Ok so what do Rock Bands actually do?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by tiamats4esgares, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Starwars

Starwars Warlord

Yes, they can be extremely potent. The religious promotion is pretty nice but the loyalty one is fun too. My last game I wasn't going for tourism but I had some faith going on at the end of the game so I slotted the card where you can choose the promotion for fun and bought a bunch of Rock bands with the loyalty promotion. Ended up flipping three large cities on my borders. They flipped to Free Cities but if you were playing Elanor I guess you'd just end up stealing the cities right away.

Well, I mean... that kind of "strategy" comes so late in the game that it doesn't matter *really* but it sure feels powerful anyways, haha.

2. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

The world's only one good pop rock band away from a Zoroastrianism revival.

3. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 King

pics or it didn't happen :scan:

4. Wandering_Dandelion

Wandering_Dandelion Chieftain

Too hard to test, but I'll try. By the way, I really wonder why they didn't write the rule in a .lua?

Victoria likes this.
  5. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Same with the spy rule, I think it is too hard, don’t worry. I asked because @Boyan_Sun thought you might have something.

6. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

So in my game, I'm not interested in a Culture win—instead I'm on the long Diplo victory slog—but Pericles being Pericles was making some decent progress in Tourism (I'm in 2nd). I've been spamming him with the odd Rock Band to see if it slows him down. I've not gone into the numbers as Victoria has, but anecdotally it seems to be having the desired effect (or maybe just my culture has increased enough). I'll play some more today and try to get an idea of numbers to see exactly what's occurring.

7. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

The best part about Rock Bands is the custom naming imo. Even the RNG names are pretty good: In my Eleanor game, 'Vegan Questions' have been flipping cities to me with their alternative art rock. Won a CV as Kristina thanks to a band named 'Radical Queen', who generated around 1.7K worth of sales. I wish the HoF kept track of your top five best Rock Bands.

8. Victoria

That would be good sir, TY.

If rock bands create culture as well as tourism then that would slow them down. I'll have another play today and check if that is the case. If it is not the case you need to be
    1. Closing borders with Peri (-25% denouce will do)
    2. Making sure your government does not match Peri (-20%)
    3. Increasing your culture including inspirations & looting (moon landing badly hurts a CV done correctly)
    4. Stopping their rock bands.

9. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

Can you explain what that promotion does? :confused: I read it like it would give the AI a culture boost if I performed in their territory with this promotion, but maybe I just completely misread it.

I was playing Inca and ran the card to pick promotion manually (btw. the cards for spies doesn't seem to work?). Anyway, I had a rockband with the +2 wonder level promotion, which absolutely ... rocks (duh). Got them up to level 4 and they played for 15-18K tourism at each wonder with something like 4 % chance to disband ... they just kept going and going! :band:

10. Victoria

Seems like 50% according to this list from the Wiki

Album Cover Art Performs as if 2 levels more experienced on wonder tiles.
    Arena Rock Performs as if 2 levels more experienced on Entertainment Complex district tiles.
    Glam Rock Performs as if 2 levels more experienced on Theater Square district tiles.
    Goes to 11 Civilizations within 10 tiles receive 50% of the Tourism from this concert.
    Indie Performing a concert causes that city to lose 50 Loyalty.
    Music Festival Performs at National Parks for expected 1000 Tourism and 1 level more experienced.
    Pop Star Earn Gold equal to 50% of the Tourism generated.
    Reggae Rock Performs as if 2 levels more experienced on Water Park district tiles.
    Religious Rock Performs a concert that converts the majority religion of that city to the religion founded by the player.
    Roadies +4 Movement.
    Space Rock Performs at Spaceports for expected 1000 Tourism and 1 level more experienced.
    Surf Band Performs at Seaside Resorts for expected 500 Tourism and 1 level more experienced.

CPWimmer likes this.
  11. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

Goes to 11 does 50% of the impact to other civs in the radius. It is very overpowered.

On another note, Rock Bands bug out the culture win timer massively.

Siptah likes this.
  12. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

Ok, but this is what confuses me: Do I get extra benefit from it, or do the other civs get extra benefits from it? I mean, the latter doesn't make much sense, but when I read the sentense, that's how I must understand it. For instance, if I play in a German city in close proximity to Poland, will Poland get a benefit? Or does it mean I also get a tourism bonus against Poland?

13. kaltorak

kaltorak Emperor

They get tourism to your country, which benefits you.

14. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

Well thanx for clarifying. Not sure if it's just a language thing, but I must say I find the wording extremely confusing.

Builderphile likes this.
  15. kaltorak

kaltorak Emperor

The whole concept is confusing :p

16. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

It is basically like you are doing a concert in the neighbouring civs for half the tourism gain.

CPWimmer likes this.
  17. gberetfr

gberetfr Rastaman

And does anyone have an idea of the influence of "number of album sold" ?

Would it increase your tourism generation per turn ?

Based on a simple formula like :

increase of tourism per turn = number of album sold / 1000 x number of citizen in empire in 8 tile range / number of civilization in game + turns since last concert ^ rank of stars of concert

That surely Victoria will figure out in the end... :thumbsup:

18. Victoria

Just had a little play, limited time though... looks like you cannot play if there is just a library but you can play if there is a Uni... makes sense, Gimme 20 mins and I’ll write up what I have, it is surprising.

19. Victoria

So I loaded the canada game and has a quick play but got caught :( ... anyway here is random findings
    The Wiki states album sales increase the chance of playing better at the next rock venue.
    I only tested rock bands with 0 promotions as I need to get a baseline... You have to name a band to use it but you do not have to promote it.

Regardless of venue tested the screen claims you have a 50% chance of losing your band.
    I cannot play a campus than only has a library but I can if it has a Uni. The screen claims I get 500 tourism for this
    I can play both a amphitheater and a Museum, The screen claims I get 250 tourism for this
    I can play both a Ferris wheel and an aquarium. The screen claims I get 250 tourism for this
    I cannot play a lighthouse but I can play a shipyard. The screen claims I get 500 tourism for this
    I can play a wonder, The screen claims I get 500 tourism for this.
    Ariochs web site states the following and is normally very good so seems like I just validated some of the list
    • 1000: World Wonder
    • 750: Stadium, Broadcast Center, Film Studio, Aquatics Center
    • 500: University, Madrasa, Shipyard
    • 250: Arena, Ferris Wheel, Amphitheater, Marae, Tlachtli
    So I ran a few quick tests, all in Universities with level 0 bands... I will certainly need to do more to get correct spreads
    It is dangerous to make too many assumptions from such little data, interesting that a 5 star performance gives a promo but less tourism.
    Level 2 results show variation in tourism but not albums.
    Also death is not guaranteed with low stars, it does seem like it follows the espionage way. What this may mean is whether you have a 0 star performance or a 6 star performance you can loose your band. However I suspect the higher stars choose promotion rather than band loss.
    Only more statistics will give us this.
    upload_2019-2-21_11-18-18.png

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    Trav'ling Canuck and CPWimmer like this.
  20. Wandering_Dandelion

Wandering_Dandelion Chieftain

Actually I have something.
    I test for 50+ times and find this rule:
    1 star(T6): Tourism = expectation*0.75+ Album*expectation/100 Unit died
    2 stars: Tourism = expectation*2 + Album*expectation/100 Unit died
    3 stars: Tourism = expectation*0.75 + Album*expectation/100 Album+50
    4 stars: Tourism = expectation*2.5 + Album*expectation/100 Album+100
    5 stars: Tourism = expectation*1 + Album*expectation/100 Album+150 & Unit promoted
    6 stars(T1): I don't know for that none of those rock bands got this result...

I just found how albums effect the result when I organized the data to share my discovery to you, so I edit my reply. It seems like that the tier of the performance can't effect the tourism brought by album.

By the way, I guess there may be a sheet like below about how band level effect the tier of the performance, and I guess it may be similar with the spy rule.
    QQ截图20190221204413.jpg

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019