[GS] Ok so what do Rock Bands actually do?

venue + (venue*TouristBomb%) + (venue*album Sales%) = tourism produced

so that means if you play at a wonder (venue = 1000) with 0 album sales and get a creative differences (200% tourist bomb) you will get 2000 tourism.

But the same situation but with 500 album sales will give you 7000 tourism.... album sales make a HUGE difference.

Very good to know. So while wonders are good for leveling, saving them for large album sales might be a better (but riskier) strategy.

Breaking down on the math for a first level Rock Band (not playing at a venue which it's promotion affect) it means that the probabilities goes like the following (3d6 probability distribution: http://www.thedarkfortress.co.uk/tech_reports/3_dice_rolls.htm#.XI-i_iJKiUk)
  • Chance of dying is 50%
(...)
  • Chance of dying is ~37%
(...)
  • Chance of dying is ~26%
(...)
  • Chance of dying is ~9%
Any thoughts on the percentages? Did I mess something up with the math and/or misunderstand the formula/BaseProbability?
I get the same results from doing the math, and can confirm from in-game tooltip (if that is to be trusted):
  • A level 1 Rock Band with no relevant promotion (e.g. Indie) will show 50 % of retiring (effective level 1).
  • A level 1 Rock Band with Space Rock promotion will show __ % of retiring when playing a Spaceport (effective level 2). <-- CAN'T REMEMBER THIS NUMBER, but model says 37 %.
  • A level 1 Rock Band with Album Cover promotion will show 26 % of retiring when playing a wonder (effective level 3).
  • A level 2 Rock Band with Album Cover promotion will show __ % of retiring when playing a wonder (effective level 4). <--- CAN'T REMEMBER THIS NUMBER, but model says 16 %
  • A level 3 Rock Band with Album Cover promotion will show 9 % of retiring when playing a wonder (effective level 5).
  • A level 4 Rock Band with Album Cover promotion will show 4 % of retiring when playing a wonder (effective level 6).
The numbers I remember are all in accordance with the model. Maybe someone can fill in the remaining numbers.

The numbers I remember are all in accordance with the model. Maybe someone can fill in the remaining numbers.
From page 3 of this post.. is this what you are after?

I played around a bit and got the published loss statistics

Level 1 = 50% chance of the band breaking up
Level 2 = 37% chance
Level 3 = 26% chance
Level 4 = 16% chance
Level 5 = 9% chance

And these from @ggmoyang on page 5
3~18 sounds like sum of 3 dices. You know what? The chance to get 10 or lower number with 3d6 is 50%.
And chance to get 9 or lower is 37.5%.
8... 25.93%
7... 16.2%
6... 9.26%
5... 4.63%

Then on page 5 @ggmoyang and @DanQuayle finish it off nicely.
I guess 7 pages is a lot to read.

Last edited:
NO
venue + (venue*TouristBomb%) + (venue*album Sales%) = tourism produced

so that means if you play at a wonder (venue = 1000) with 0 album sales and get a creative differences (200% tourist bomb) you will get 2000 tourism.

But the same situation but with 500 album sales will give you 7000 tourism.... album sales make a HUGE difference.
Turn that up to 11....
Can you elaborate, how do you get from the 500 album sales to 7000 final number, i.e. what is the "album sales %"?

Can you elaborate, how do you get from the 500 album sales to 7000 final number, i.e. what is the "album sales %"?
Sure
Venue is 1000
Bomb is 200 for a 2 star performance
Album sales are 500

The formula is then (1000*200%) + (1000*500%) = 2000 + 5000 = 7000

So album sales is a % applied to the venue for additional tourism.

I did actually read the entire thread before asking questions, but I couldn't put the piece together :sad: I guess I missed someone summing it all up. But it is all clear to me now, so thanks for the patience! :)

Last edited:
Check #96. Basically, they roll 1~216 rather than 3d6 (6*6*6=216), if the effective level is 5 or higher.

If the effective level is 1~4, the roll is 196/206/212/215. The unknown is the actual thresholds for the results.

.... Just noticed this on the paedia ... Not sure it has been mentioned, I certainly did not know!
upload_2019-3-21_20-49-8.png

Huh interesting. So at least one wonder make you more vulnerable to CV. It's interesting since it is a very directly win condition improving wonder, could be a cool touch to have victory types have some weaknesses towards other victory types.

Also, this information is actually not even noted in online game pedias.

Shouldn't it make your rock bands more effective?

Shouldn't it make your rock bands more effective?

Yes if someone else built it and you make a show there..

But no if YOU built it...then it helps the others

Unless once again, it's applied to all rock bands of the civs who built it ??? wouldn't be the first time they've confused uis on something like this ;-)

I thought that message showed on all wonders, not just that particular one.

.... Just noticed this on the paedia ... Not sure it has been mentioned, I certainly did not know!
View attachment 521026

This is new, right? I don't remember this.

Is this a new effect on the Országház (i.e. boosting your own rock band output), or is it (more likely) supposed to be a general information that all Wonders boost rock band tourism?

It would make no sense for the Hungarian parliament building to boost rock bands.

Just checked, it appears to be on all wonders, I've noticed this for a couple of weeks.

Well I mean nobody actually reads the civilopedia for actual information on playing the game. Since it doesn't actually help.=

Top Bottom