1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

OK whats going on is thios a bug???

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by incubuspawn, Nov 10, 2005.

1. incubuspawn

incubuspawn Warlord

I am presently number 1 in a game. I was ahead of everyone tech wise. but now over the last few techs, I noticed that an ai is gettingthe same tech as me the very turn I get the tech, and this is before spies, even if there was spies I would need to end the turn before his spy had a chance to streal it. Meanwhile he is teching up in other areas. The leader is Mali and this seems to be consistant in all games with mali. I do not think we are on the same tech path, and even if we where 6 or more tech s in a row??? I doubt it.

2. Ravinhood

Ravinhood Warlord

He might have found a late game goody hut that gave him a spy. ;)

Or he might have put himself into a golden age. You can't see everything the AI is doing so don't automatically assume it's cheating just because you can't do it. ;)

3. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

He was higher tech than you all along. You can't see what techs he has except for the bottom one in the tech chains. As you learned it you could see what he had finally.

4. incubuspawn

incubuspawn Warlord

nope thats not it. If that was it I would have known allready that he had the tech I was researching. I just would not see any techs after that.

5. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

Okay, how do you know he wasn't just researching fast? I can slam through a tech every 2-3 turns in the mid to late game. The AI can do better (above Noble).

6. Willowmound

Willowmound Wordbug

Spies can steal techs? How? I never get this option.

7. Me=Civ God

Me=Civ God Chieftain

I hate you all i cant play this game.
    Moderator Action: Please at least try to make your posts somewhat relevent to the discussions.

8. QiZhe

QiZhe Warlord

Spies cannot steal techs. They can only steal military plans and blow things up.

I think this is just a case of the new tech tree prerequisite system confusing you.

9. incubuspawn

incubuspawn Warlord

they cant I was assumeing that maybe ai spies could.

10. incubuspawn

incubuspawn Warlord

nope, as I allready said, If that was the case I would have known he had it while I was researching the tech.

I'll repeat, he is getting the techs the very same turns I am, but does not have them the turn before. If I am able to research it, I am also able to see it in either his will or will not trade techs. I am not questioning the computers abiity to tech faster than me. I am questioning something like 7 techs in a row he got the very same turn I did. What you all think I am confused on would have been him haveing the next tech up from each tech I research.

What I am beginning to think it is is due to one of the trade bugs in the game. As we all probably know now, you can accidently give away a tech when you ask "what they would give for it", if you do not clear the field first. ( meaning he gve you an offer or you him and it was refused, so you remove his field and ask what he would give... this sometimes causes them to take the tech with no trade. Unless you clear your tech field and repace it it again )
    is it then possible that this same bug automatilcy was giveing him the techs as I research them? I did notice that this stoped happening when I quit the game and reloaded it.

11. BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone Windbag of the sea

Maybe he had either the Great Library or The Internet was built.

12. incubuspawn

incubuspawn Warlord

great library does not work the same way it does in Civ3 and there was no way he could have had the internet :p
    are we done discrediting my find here? I know the game and how to play. I know I discovered a bug or a very strange coincidinky.

13. Willowmound

Willowmound Wordbug

Why don't you try and recreate it, incubuspawn? Via the trade bug you mentioned. If you can do that you definitely have a legitimate bug to report.

14. JakeCourtney

JakeCourtney Villain

I would also like to know where the patch is, its been a week.

15. incubuspawn

incubuspawn Warlord

the trade bug has been recreated a lot. As far as the same turn tech ( by whatever cause ) I just recreated it, and it is not what I thought it was but it is still a bug.
    What was happening is that even though many of these techs where something I do qualify for, the game failed to list it. What causes this I do not know. I verified this now when I am capable of researching optics, none of the ai show optics as known, but they do have the caravel. So the optics is simply not being reported int heir will trade or will not trade windows. This seems to perhaps explain what happend at first. Oh and once again it is Mali hehe That guy is teching demon lol. I don't think it is just mali ( though he allways reserches well but has pathetic kingdoms and cannot withsatnd any attack it seems. )

16. Willowmound

Willowmound Wordbug

So true about the Mali, I see old Mansa getting himself into that situation all the time!

As for the bug, you should report it in the Bug Reports section. I'm pretty sure Firaxis keeps an eye on that one, and hopefully it will be fixed in the upcoming patch.

17. albalouchi

albalouchi Chieftain

guys i know u got lucky and playing civ4 but i am having a problem...when i run the game game the fonts come in a blocked shape...i cannot read any of the options when the game is running...pls help by emailing me at albalouchi@gmail.com

18. Dikaioma

Dikaioma Warlord

That's really strange, because I just got done playing a game with Mali, and the same exact thing happened. When we reached the modern era (or it may have been industrial), he kept getting whatever I got as if someone was trading my techs with him. I didn't think anything of it until you just mentioned it...

19. CrackedCrystal

CrackedCrystal Where am I?

might be using Great people to get techs

20. snepp

snepp King

Do you still have a save available to work with?