1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

okay i'm offically very very impressed (space race)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by phillip1882, Dec 1, 2019.

1. phillip1882

phillip1882 Warlord

i read about a user who built all the space ship parts before 1 ad.
    i cheated the hell out of the game, and still couldnt do it.
    i gave myself 20 settlers, 20 workers at the start on a tiny map with no ai, 5000 gold every 5 turns,
    free factories after i got assembly, was devoting near all my production to research,
    built the mids early so i could switch to representation,
    chose a spiritual financial civ, and even in my most productive city, it would have taken 318 turn to get apollo program.
    yeah,you guys blow me away.

2. ManUnited4Ever

ManUnited4Ever Chieftain

Who are you talking about? More recently, there was a user, @WastinTime , who landed the spaceship before 1 AD... and he did it on Deity.

3. Lennier

Lennier Emperor

I think he did huge marathon big & small.

4. WastinTime

WastinTime Deity Supporter

5. pi-r8

pi-r8 Luddite

There were some other tricks he used.
    Play on a huge map, packed full of AIs, so there's lots of capital cities to attack. Taking a deity capital is much better than building a city yourself.
    Play as the incas on marathon, so taking over AI cities is easy.
    Use the fan patch that includes the overflow glitch (lots of gold if you generate a lot of hammers all at once), even though that's fixed in the official version.
    Huge map with lots of resources so corporations get absolutely crazry.

It's still an amazing accomplishment that he was able to do this, but you're not going to get anything close to that with any kind of "normal" settings.

6. ManUnited4Ever

ManUnited4Ever Chieftain

Those settings are close to every game I've ever played. I would call them 'normal' any day of the week.

The map was not Huge, it was Large. There is a justification for this choice in WastinTime's writeup.

Is it "fixed" in the official version? I thought the gold overflow mechanic was a feature, not a bug, and I didn't know it ever existed in any official version (I might be wrong).

7. AcaMetis

AcaMetis Prince

As far as I understand the gold overflow glitch is a(n exploitable) feature, not a glitch or unintended bug. Basically, the vanilla game has a cap on how much overflow a city can actually generate based off of what's being produced or the city's base production, and if you ever exceed that limit the excess overflow is wasted. BUG/BULL, or BUFFY in this case, changed this so that excess hammers are converted into gold rather than wasted.

8. pi-r8

pi-r8 Luddite

Every game you've ever played has been quechua rushing a packed map on marathon speed? that's kind of amazing. The game is a lot more interesting IMO if you give the AIs a chance to develop.

Overflow did exist in the early versions of the game, although it went through some changes with each patch. At one point you could get huge amounts of gold by chopping walls with protective. The latest official patch removes it almost entirely, so that's why I call it a glitch. It's not cheating or anything, but it won't work with the standard, official version of the game. It's kind of weird when all of your "wealth" comes from chopping down trees.

9. ManUnited4Ever

ManUnited4Ever Chieftain

I've never played Inca, but the other settings are there, yes.

10. WastinTime

WastinTime Deity Supporter

Chopping into a build like a quechua to get a couple overflow gold is not what you generally want to do... except in an extreme emergency in the early game.
    So even if that is an exploit, it's not a very good one.
    What you want to do is put overflow hammers and chops into wonders (with several mulitpliers like stone/marble, IND trait, forges, etc.) and then you get the fail-gold when the wonder completes.

11. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

I would say it's exploiting on maps like poor isolation thou, where we are starved for commerce and useful builds, and without wonder techs for failgold.
    1 pop could be used for 30+ gold each 10t in cities, helping a lot with reaching Optics, and / or forests could be used for all the gold needed until then.