1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Okay, we know there's a veil. But...why?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Amenhotep7, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Amenhotep7

Amenhotep7 Spartiate

I'm not here to criticize Islam (let's just clarify that right here). I just want to know... How do many predominantly-Muslim countries legitimize the rather scant womens' rights, in many countries being forced to wear the veil (although just as many women choose to wear the veil), etc etc? Other religions do not have such rules, so I wonder from where did this thinking spawn?

I suppose alot of it has to do with the governments rather than the religion itself. Muslim women in America and European nations have many rights. But perhaps one of our resident Muslims can provide a more suitable answer if this one proves non-substantial..?

2. stormbind

stormbind Retenta personam!

This is a guestimate: Is the veil designed to avoid the situation where men want women that aren't theirs?

3. HamaticBabylon

HamaticBabylon Deity

Don’t get confused my pagan friend the reasons why these Arab states suppress there women and forbid them the freedom Allah has allow, is simple. They the SAUDI KINGDOM IS part OF THE BIG GAME TO DISTORT AND Corrupt ISLAM TENFOLDS.

In the west many Muslim women wear the jihjab and they seem to have no problems with it. They say that it hides there looks from other people. Which is their right, when we talk about freedom?

4. AceChilla

AceChilla Goedheiligman

Muslim woman are asked to cover their hair in the Koran to avoid seducing man. Because man can't control themselves and woman can.

That's about it.

5. blindside

blindside formerly god

I think the tradition of the veil predates the religion. I believe the Arab/Bedouin people in and around Mecca (atleast the ones that followed the prophet) had their women wear veils. The religion was influenced by this and as it spread it brought some of this culture with it.

6. ~Corsair#01~

~Corsair#01~ Deity

Considering the context, that was probably good advice. Although when enemy soldiers entered a city, I'd imagine they'd just take the veils off before raping them...

I think the principle is quite good, myself. Men have become obsessed with appearances, and viels mean that ugly people are actually treated with respect.
    It's just the whole "forcing" part I don't like.

7. AceChilla

AceChilla Goedheiligman

It probably was a good advice 1400 years ago with no law enforcement around. However I don't think just covering your hair makes people less actractive or the ugly ones more beautifull.

Besides I don't like the effect it has in the eyes of men, cause what does it say about woman who don't weir veils, or don't cover themselves like they do? That they are free for all?

That's a sideeffect that manifests itself in Parisian suburbs, and also over here. Muslim woman certainly feel the pressure when they don't wear a veil in a surrounding that does. Because some muslim boys think they are just whores.

8. stormbind

I was right then :)

It seems that Christianity & Islam have the same beliefs, except that Christians blame the men and Muslims blame the women.

9. ~Corsair#01~

~Corsair#01~ Deity

Exact opposite. Muslims blame the men for being unable to control themselves, Christians (used to) blame the women for being temptresses.

10. stormbind

Then why do Christians preach that men are responsible for controlling themselves, while Muslims preach that women are responsible for taking precautions?

Responsibility is bestowed on those who have influence.

11. mrtn

mrtn Shaven not stirred

The Greeks were just the same 2000 years ago; women without veils were considered sluts, while the men could wrestle naked down at the gymnasion with the pretty boys. I wouldn't be surprised if it goes back even longer...

12. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

Because they are the ones that they feel can control themselves.

13. stormbind

Exactly. You only blame those who can control themselves.

14. Mungaf

Mungaf TET 2.0 won't be out :(

What? Do people really think that men are so deeply enslaved by their sexual drive that they will assault/disrespect women without veils? If that's the case, then the idea behind the veil is as offensive to men as it is to women.

And:
    I don't understand the reason behind this. Historically in Islamic societies, women have, more or less, been second class citizens and denied most of the opportunities that men have. Saudi Arabia is no exception. Is there really some kind of authentic liberal Islam where everyone has the rights granted in a modern Western society?

15. Perfection

No, you can blame those who can't control themselves.

16. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

Versailles City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    I thought the veils of Islamic women had a utilitarian use for them to protect the women from the harsh desert climates.

17. stormbind

Duh, that makes no sense!

You cannot blame a pig when it fails to fly away from danger.

18. Amenhotep7

Amenhotep7 Spartiate

No, because then men would wear them outside as well.

19. Perfection

Sure you can, it's silly, but we're dealing with religion here.

20. AceChilla

AceChilla Goedheiligman

Men who travel in the desert do wear them actually, it helps in sandstorms and such. You've probably seen those turbans.

But in the Koran it says Mohammed told the woman in his household to wear a veil to protect them from the lust of men. Or something like that, I don't know the exact words.