1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Oklahoma legislature overrides veto of abortion restriction bill, becomes worst state

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by sumit1207, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Neonanocyborgasm

Neonanocyborgasm Deity

What a horrible position to put doctors in practice in Oklahoma! It's bad enough that ob-gyn's can hardly earn a living with malpractice insurance premiums being equal to their earnings. Now they also have to contend with the possibility of being arrested for telling patients the truth. I don't even know what they can expect from an ultrasound of an embryo before 4 weeks. All you can see there is a couple of concentric circles. Is this supposed to sway someone?

If this law isn't overturned, my prediction is that obstetrics as a practice will hardly exist in Oklahoma.

2. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

Could a doctor get in trouble with an ethics board if he or she actively lied to a patient about abortion options, even with this state law?

3. Kraznaya

Kraznaya Princeps

So a majority can oppress a minority if it's "theirs?"

Which is why the men of the Oklahoman legislature overrode the veto, right? :rolleyes:

4. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

There not banning Abortions you have to pay for an Ultrasound and listern to some pro-life stuff before proceeding.

5. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

The people who made this happen should follow their logic through and mandate it so that every pregnant woman in the state has to watch a video of teenage prostitutes doing drugs in back alleys and whoring themselves out to overweight balding guys before they are allowed to give birth.

Then again I'm a bit tired so maybe my assessment of the situation is incomplete.

6. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Urhhhh, This is a good thing ?

7. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Deity

As well as the argument for not euthenizing the ********.

8. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Of course there's no rape or incest clause. That's normal procreation in Oklahoma.

9. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I'm not defending the male politicians. I hate all politicians. If anything I'm saying male politicians have no right to dictate what a woman does with her body. I'm mainly talking about males on this forum. I think it's silly to discuss a women's issue.

10. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

I would dare any man who thinks pregnancy is just an "inconvinience" to put a huge bean-bag on his stomach and not remove it and take some sort of nausea drug every day for 9 months.

11. bhsup

bhsup Deity

I'll never define it that way. I've had this discussion with others before and I'll stand by my answer that I've given before. If I owned a 'Data' from Star Trek, I would have no more of a problem putting a bullet into his positronic net than I would putting a bullet into a toaster. They're both just machines.

12. Dawgphood001

Dawgphood001 The Professional Poster

Well, this is failtastic.

13. Neonanocyborgasm

Neonanocyborgasm Deity

Ethics boards exist in most hospitals and other medical institutions. They generally have only advisory power, and cannot compel any action.

I don't think any medical society would take action against a physician who was following the law, even a dysfunctional law, but I would expect medical societies to issue some sort of statement in response to these laws. One medical society is called ACOG (American Congress of Obstetrics and Gynecology) that has great influence and power among its members. I would expect them to issue a statement soon.

14. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

Florida Republicans ram copycat ultrasound theater legislation down the throats of their constituents on the last day of the session:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/politi...-abortion-measure-now-headed-to-crist/1091746

I just hope Crist will veto it as a real "rogue" Republican.

15. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Well crap. I don't tend to like to interfere with other State elections, but I hope Crist gets his butt kicked in the election now. Kinda crappy of a governor to not want to impose his will to stop murder.

16. Formaldehyde

Unlike many of the far-right, I guess he doesn't think it is "murder" instead of a choice every woman should have.

That's also the main reason why the Republicans no longer want to have anything to do with him. He actually votes his conscience instead of how ultraconservatives expect him to block vote. Imagine that? A Republican nowadays who actually thinks he has free will instead of being forced to pander to the least common denominator.

17. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Yeah, like the choice Pol Pot had regarding his adoring subjects.

18. Formaldehyde

After all, everybody knows a conservative Republican governor who previously had a career as a DA is just like him. :lol:

19. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

Oh come on, you DID watch the re-imagined BSG, right?! Such absolutism is impossible.

There is no way you can ever know for sure that any other person you have met, talked to, loved, hated, slept with, wished to kill... was conscious in the same way you are. They could all have been "if... then" biological programs and it would look the exact same to you. We could all be products of your deep psychosis or we could all be illusions in a machine.

If something displays consciousness, you give it the same benefit of a doubt that you expect it to give you. Else, you, to me, could just be a product of my psychosis and me putting a bullet into your head is akin to forgetting some thought.

20. bhsup

bhsup Deity

ANYTHING a human makes will never be worthy of human rights. And as we have dominion given to us by God over everything on this earth, including things we make...