Oklahoma legislature overrides veto of abortion restriction bill, becomes worst state

These are the remarks of a Southern Baptist Democrat congressman who was opposed to the bill on the basis of personal experience:

I was really confused by reading your excerpts. I had to read the article to understand his point, which is that couples who already know that they are going to lose their baby would be forced to have the ultrasound & have to watch it as the tech describe what's going on.

We've seen three ultrasounds already at this point. And you act like this ultrasound machine is in another room, that you walk out into and go, oh, there it is. Actually, that ultrasound machine is right next to that bed, where my wife is laying, looking at this fetus. And she's starting to cry. And she asks that that ultrasound machine be turned in the other direction because she can't see it anymore. But this bill right here is saying "no, we're going to demand one more time when you go in to finally terminate that fetus — because God and nature told you 'not this time,' that you be forced to see that screen, or you be told what's on that screen, and that you demand it be turned away, but you're still going to have to listen to the description of what's still there. Members, this is something we're about to do to women in this state.

I agree with Rep. Randolph in that this bill has unintended consequences which makes it reprehensible.

It could be worse. The conservatives might soon try to require anybody who wants an abortion to first report to the nearest small government reeducation center.

I want a fiscally small, stripped to the bones, entitlement free federal government. That's what 'small government' means. You guys are totally altering the meaning of the phrase.

It could be worse. The conservatives might soon try to require anybody who wants an abortion to first report to the nearest small government reeducation center.

Small government reeducation centre is a brilliant phrase. I tip my hat to you.

I want a fiscally small, stripped to the bones, entitlement free federal government. That's what 'small government' means. You guys are totally altering the meaning of the phrase.
But you don't mind in the least that it is actually a bloated bureaucracy which largely exists to inflict your morals on anybody who disagrees with your own personal opinions and religious beliefs.

"The uterus expands to meet the ever-expanding needs of the bureaucracy."

No, it means less expenditures. Has nothing to do with the laws on the books.

You think that there are no costs associated with enforcing laws? if you were really for small government, you should be opposed to most of the laws currently on the books. TANSTAAFL.

Not in my book. Wipe away all federal entitlement programs and we'd have a MUCH smaller government.

Well, you can still have laws. Just don't enforce them, I guess? Depends on how expensive they are.

Not in my book. Wipe away all federal entitlement programs and we'd have a MUCH smaller government.
In other words, you don't really want "small govenment". What you want is to selectively eliminate all the government programs which you personally disagree while keeping all the other ones. You likely want even more laws to inflict your own personal opinions on everybody else. That isn't small government. It is just the opposite.

So you deny that dismantling the Social Security Administration, the Department of Education, the Department of Commerce, the Department of Housing and Urban Development, etc would make the federal government smaller?

I agree. Myanmar is the best example in the world of a small government country.

So you want totalitarianism sans welfare.... :crazyeye:

Or, a much larger one. Lots more cops and prisons to control those people who can only currently afford food and shelter because of entitlement programs.

Meanwhile Arizonans rejoice.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/04/27/oklahoma.abortion/

Summary by CNN:
# One law requires ultrasound, listening to description before an abortion
# Center for Reproductive Rights says it had filed a lawsuit challenging the new law
# Other law protects doctors who withhold data or give inaccurate information about pregnancies
# Laws' critics cite privacy, negligence issues; backers say the people have spoken

Seriously? Doctors can withhold vital information on pregnancies at their discretion?? No exceptions concerning rape/incest??? WHAT THE :mad::mad::mad::mad:????

No need to hold back info, or to lie, just ban murder anyway. The truth about it is, in the words of Kent Hovind, Christian Scientist, "Well what about rape? Is abortion then ok? Why kill the baby, for the actions of the rapist," he responds. Really, who is responsible, the rapist, or the innocent baby.

Top Bottom