1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Old lock

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ADP101, Jan 26, 2008.

1. ADP101

ADP101 Warlord

2. Abaddon

Abaddon Deity

Gosh, its very pretty. I want!

3. GenMarshall

GenMarshall High Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    Vary rarely do you see craftsmanship on locks like those.

4. ADP101

ADP101 Warlord

lol thanks, any idea how old it is?

5. Sims2789

Sims2789 Fool me once...

DO NOT CLEAN IT!!!

I collect coins and cleaning them is always a bad idea. Even if you don't intend to sell them (it lowers their value), cleaning metal antiques often blemishes them, and takes away that "antique feel."

6. Narz

Narz keeping it real

That's pretty sweet. I'd be cool to ride around & lock up my bike with it. :lol:

7. Swedishguy

Swedishguy Deity

Is it just me that do not understand why old Tibet locks are superior to assembly lined ones?

8. Narz

Narz keeping it real

Cause they're unique looking.

9. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol King

It's very pretty but I'll bet you a beer it's not anything like as old as you think. Fake antiques are big business. Hope your sis didn't pay the earth thinking it was somehow valuable. Enjoy the craftsmanship and the look, don't get caught up in the idea that it's an antique.

http://www.alca.us/FAKES.html

Just one of dozens of sites a quick google turned up.

10. cthom

cthom 3,011,451,295

i second that. i cleaned an old sixpence piece once and someone told me i'd rubbed all of its value off:blush:

what do you intend to do with the lock?

11. ADP101

ADP101 Warlord

I third that and Dubai, ill look into that, but seeing this lock it doesn't look fake.

EDIT: Dubai, i looked at that site and they are all american locks

EDIT2: i found this site http://divinitree.com/TempleLocks.html the keys are very similar
    http://www.exoticindiaart.com/product/EC95/

12. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol King

The fact that you can order as many as you like over the internet, from multiple sites, should tell you something... :lol:

13. ADP101

ADP101 Warlord

nah non of them are the same, they only have 1 of each in stock, well first site doesnt say, but second site only has 1 of each

14. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol King

From the 2nd site:
    And the site i posted before had a list of giveaways: if it came with two keys, it's a fake, if it has that barrel key design, it's a fake, etc.

As I said, it's a nice and fun piece of art, but not an antique, nor of any value.

15. ADP101

ADP101 Warlord

ah ok thanks, it did come with 2 keys :(. but it still has worth, as displayed on both of those sites

16. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol King

Of course it has worth. It's a fun bit of history in and of itself: at one time (that time would be now) reproductions of old locks were flogged to tourists. The craftsmanship was superb, and in later years became valuable even though it was know to be a fake.

That last bit has happened: fake 19th century reproductions of 16th century originals are now worth real money. But that lock? Consider it a cheap lesson. Everything from furniture to paintings is faked and sold to the unsuspecting.

Again: enjoy it for what it is: I just paid far too much for a fake bronze sculpture, because it was my 8th wedding anniversary, and we have kept to the traditional gifts. Fifty dollars for a fake was cheap compared to what most men cough up for anniversary gifts. Was I ripped off? Definitely. Did I come out ahead? Absolutely.

17. gwynneve

gwynneve Chieftain

Hi - I notice your question about the temple locks. As some of you have noted, I sell these locks on my website: http://www.divinitree.com/TempleLocks.html They are not antique at all, but are newly-made by craftspeople in Tibet who make them for the temples. They can be seen all over India, Tibet and Nepal on temple doors. It didn't occur to me that people might think I'm trying to pass these off as antiques. Do you think I should clarify this on my website? :confused:

18. Narz

Narz keeping it real

No, I don't think you should. As long as you're not actively claiming they are antiques.

19. LightFang

LightFang "I'm the hero!"

It's a beautiful lock, I'll give it that.

20. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity

Free Tibet, buy a lock!