1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Old timer's, what are your thoughts so far?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by wiggawuu, May 25, 2016.

1. wiggawuu

wiggawuu Warlord

This is aimed at guys who have been playing Civ since waaaay back in the day. I find veteran commentary always really spot on. Are you excited again or has the civ5 format killed it for you?

btw, I've been playing since civ 2. I was on this forum or the apolyton.net one way back in the day. I couldn't remember my account to save my life. I figured I'd jump on board again.

Cheers.

2. rastak

rastak Emperor

Extremely excited. Why would Civ V have killed anything? Fantastic game. I have full faith in Ed Beach to deliver a fun and compelling game.

Oh, Civ I here.

3. Josephias

Josephias King

Civ I.
    I have to admit Civ V vanilla format vs extended Civ IV seemed a bit bland at the beginning, but with two expansions (indeed, already with the first), time invested in Civ V (and fun obtained with it) is already as much as with the other games. And with the same man in charge for Civ VI, it looks very promising.

4. Ryuu Falconwing

Ryuu Falconwing Chieftain

Civ 2 since I was a kid

This game looks absolutely amazing thus far and I'm really excited to learn more. The changes to the early game (my favorite part of civ anyways) seem exceptionaly solid.

Flak Fox likes this.
  5. rastak

rastak Emperor

Damn, I was 29 when Civ I came out.

6. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I started with Civ II when I was a preteen. I liked IV. V started weak, but is now a solid game. I wanted to like BE, but it just doesn't have staying power.

I feel very good about VI.

7. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

Civ2 since 1995 1996

Love what I see. It's a continuation of a lot of things I love from Civ5 so I'm biased.

8. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

Civ I :old:

I'm excited about some of the things I'm reading now.

The thing is that the pre-V hype differed from my perception of the game as "the most moddable civ ever", and "ground up with multiplayer in mind", for examples. I said I'd wait for fan opinion and possibly buy afterwards, but I wouldn't pre-order again based upon the word of Firaxis and 2k, or some co-dependent game blog that never rates a release less than an 85/100, because they need early access in order to have content, and won't burn that bridge. I haven't changed my mind, I'll wait and see.

I like what I'm reading in the play-throughs. Looks like a governments are back, and civics are back as a culture tree. It sounds like they really are making the game more flexible and less of a cattle chute determined with the leader roll. That was my biggest objection to V, and I played it a little over 600 hours, and think it was a great game, even if it wasn't as interesting to me as IV or Pirates!, it was the most beautiful Sid game.

I'm pretty sure VI is going to be better game play than V. That's what is important to me, although I admit I've become attached to certain animations over the years.
    :clap: :beer:

9. Aquila SPQR

Aquila SPQR Prince

I started with Civ II a looong time ago. I played Civ II, ToT, Civ III, Civ IV and Civ V. I absolutely love Civ IV and bought Civ V as soon as it hit the stores, but... that was not it. I hated the new happiness system, I hated how they dumbed it down. I tried to play it again with BNW, but it was just not it anymore. I'm still able to play Civ IV with mods for months, but I can't play Civ V for more than few hours. It's just not the Civ V I always imagined. And now - when I look at Civ VI - it's just the Civ V but looking even worse. Cartoonish graphics, new systems implemented probably just to "add something new and not copy good old things"... I believe that when something works perfectly - you don't change it. Changing it just for the sake of change and showing new things is bad. I'll probably give this game a try if they make graphics more realistic but I have a really bad feelings about it right now.

10. MrRadar

MrRadar King

Civ I since my university years.

Still have a game in every instalment running at any time :), although it is mostly CiV nowadays.

After what I have seen today, all misgivings I might have had concerning the art style have been allayed. All right, all right, I'm already liking it more than CiV :)

As for the features, already the first news sounded very interesting, and after today's new portion of information I am very very hopeful. It seems we will have much more interesting things to do between the 'Next turn' moments, and the game will be less rigid policy/government-wise than CiV.

Very keen to hear more.

11. Spartan_X

Spartan_X Chieftain

I was 17 when I played Civilization I for the first time, and I am 41 now ... So, you could say, Civ has been a part of my life. I didn't like "vanilla" Civ V, and for years after its release I would almost not touch it, and was still playing Civ IV. With the release of "Brave new world" I think the game changed for the better a lot, and after I invested time in it... I now believe that even though It's not perfect, by any stretch of the imagination ... I like it a lot. To the point that i now have months since i played Civ IV last, and I play only Civ V now.

Civ VI, to my understanding, is being designed by the people who brought us "Brave new World" and made playable a essentially broken game. I trust these people. So, I have high hopes, and I am excited.

12. CGPanama

CGPanama Warlord

Civ I here and have played and loved every version. I love them whether they are completely new or an evolution. Civ VI is looking like at worst a respectable link in the chain and potentially the best ever (primarily on the strength of potentially an improved AI).

And like you, I am an old timer on the board who forgot my password (and had moved email accounts) so had to create a new account when CiV came out. Here's to senior moments! :old:

13. wiggawuu

wiggawuu Warlord

I think I'm most excited about the social policy "tech" tree. Im glad goernments are coming back like in civ 4.

14. wiggawuu

wiggawuu Warlord

Do you guys think the 59/69 dollar price tag is asking much? It doesn't seem like they totally revamped the whole game from its predesessor civ 5.

15. rastak

rastak Emperor

Easily worth it. I got almost 2000 hours out of Civ V.

16. vagr0m

vagr0m Chieftain

i first played civ i when i was teen sth at my amiga...
    i hope :religion: some day civ will be a mix of what it is today with a dose of total war combat and sim-city city building (may the 'districts' be the foundation of this)...

17. Bandobras Took

Bandobras Took Emperor

Since Alpha Centauri (so there!).

I'm cautiously optimistic. My hope is that the good things in 5 will be refined and made better, much as 4 refined what good things there were in 3.

18. bite

bite Unoffical Civilization Geographer Moderator

I have been playing since 1 and while I am not sold on the art style, all the info I am hear about it have me really excited

19. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

I started with civ2 and played civ3, 4 and 5. Civ5 kinda killed my enthusiasm for civ. I am super stoked for civ6. I feel like the mechanics changes show great potential to fix the issues with civ5 and reinvigorate the civ franchise. Plus, it seems like civ6 will also give us a very immersive and beautiful civ experience.

20. Jarhead60

Jarhead60 Chieftain

I started playing CIV I when it first came out while I was in the military.
    Skipped 2-4 and got CIV V G&K and have logged several thousand hours on it, playing all leaders for all victory types and now working my way up the difficulty level to deity.
    I figure I might get to CIV 6 at some point but still so much to do with V. By the looks of 6 though I may skip the BNW expansion