Old World brings almost nothing new to gaming... except the right balance of the best elements

qouigv93027

Chieftain
I've noticed the complaint and framing regarding "what does Old World have that Civ doesn't?" and "why should I play OW instead of Civ?". Frequently the framing is around what does it do differently.

I do not see OW bringing anything revolutionary to the table, or any outrageously unique innovations. Pretty much all that it does, has been done elsewhere. But that shouldn't be a detractor!! In fact, I think what it does bring, is the right balance of game mechanics to optimize player experience.

What it excels at is exactly taking things that have already been "invented", taking things that already exist in other games, and changing and combining them in ways to achieve the ideal balance of game mechanics and design. I'd like to go through a few to highlight how Old World "recycles" a lot of game content and why that is not a problem, but something to be valued and celebrated, especially in the way it's delivered within the game.

Hex Tiles
Arguably people will think that this was invented or at least popularized with Civ5, and everyone else who does it is just copying. But fact of the matter is that it's the ideal tile layout to deal with distance units. Civ4 type layout of square grids doesn't work for diagonal movement, it complexifies the matter needlessly.

Adjacency Bonuses to Building
This has been done before. For example, Civ6 grants adjacency bonuses for districts. For another example, one of the Galactic Civilizations games (either 2 and/or 3) grants adjacency bonuses for building hexes on a planet. So this is nothing new.

However, in Old World you get more and better chances to take advantage of adjacencies. In Civ6, it's generally just districts, and they're hyper-permanent; once it's down you can never get rid of it or tweak your layout. In GC3, the tiles are prepopulated on the planet and often there are too few to really take advantage of opportunities. In OW, adjacency bonuses can apply to all manner of improvements, and you can change them around if you wish to optimize differently later. It can provide a source of fun to tweak your improvements strategy taking this into account.

1 Unit per Tile
Arguably people will think that this was invented or at least popularized with Civ5. There are also realism considerations. But despite all of that, having 1 unit per turn is just more fun for tactical play. Old World has latched onto this innovation and uses it to make for fun gameplay. Furthermore, OW has leaned into this further by allowing units to cause all manner of extra/splash damage, like the spearman hitting for minor damage the unit directly behind its target. This allows the player to arrange all manner of fun tactical exploits.

Historical Realism
Games are always at odds with historical realism and realism in general. Like the 1UPT which may be unrealistic, and certain ahistorical elements being introduced which improve player enjoyment. Like most things in life, it's a spectrum. The most realistic extreme is simply watching a history documentary. The most player agency ahistorical extreme is a pen and a blank piece of paper where a player writes whatever they want. Games are obviously somewhere in the middle, where players have agency to make choices and enjoy the game in a particular way, with some realism and historical limitations (the extent of which is subject to balancing the game design).

Incorporating historical realism is nothing new, so that's another thing Old World does that other games have already done. What the right balance is a manner of player preference, but I'd argue that they've struck an excellent balance here because there are plenty of historical aspects that are sufficiently immersive while nevertheless allowing the player to roleplay and make their own choices. Furthermore, OW has leaned into this further, by providing links to events so that inquisitive players can learn more about a particular historical context. You can learn about history while you play!

Settling Cities
Obviously being a civilization game with the ability to settle new cities is nothing new. Likewise, having restrictions on where cities can be placed, and outright restrictions of exclusive city locations, is likely not new either. OW strikes the balance here of restricting city site locations, with some minor tweaking (you can settle on the site or any of its attached urban tiles).

In my opinion, this is an excellent design choice because it eliminates the extremely large degrees of freedom to making decisions regarding where to place cities, or strategizing thereon. Now you just need to choose which city site to go for, and which tile of them you wish to settle (which then highlights what the borders would be).

Furthermore, OW leans into this further by allowing city borders to expand indefinitely. This again removes non-value-added player analysis and agonizing over individual tile details by allowing just about any resource to be reachable with some work. (Unlike in Civ where you might agonize over the dynamic changes to how you might settle 3-5 cities in an area to optimize capturing all the resources and such)

Dynastic Components and Relationships
As it's well-known, the game Crusader Kings is focused heavily on building your dynasty and on maintaining relationships with the various nobility around you. In fact, CK does this much better if that's the only set of game elements that interests you.

But what OW does is that it still produces these elements in an immersive way - you get to roleplay as your leader, you get to roleplay your nation better (as opposed to Civ where you're some immortal ghost ruler telling all the people what to do), and it's more historically immersive (nobility was in charge back then)... yet OW does this without making the system as incredibly complicated as CK2. Obviously from a meta-development perspective, they shouldn't, because CK2 has already done it. And from a personal gaming perspective, if this is what you seek, you can just play CK2.

What OW brings to the table is a lighter version of that so that you get most of those benefits (e.g. roleplaying and immersion), while precluding inordinate complexity.

Heroes and Leaders
Having a group of special characters or "heroes" to take command of a unit or become ruler of a city is again nothing new. Endless Space 2 has this with its "heroes", which can be assigned to command fleets, or command a star system; thereby yielding bonuses accordingly, and an opportunity to upgrade them to your designs. But this is very fun! So it's great that OW has this! Furthermore, OW leans into it by giving you the ability to have interactions with these characters and influence them, also factoring in religions and families. Your interactions can have an impact, improving immersion and positive feelings of player agency, since characters/heroes that are pleased with you will perform better at their jobs.

Orders
Arguably one of the genuinely novel things OW brings to the table is the concept of "orders" being limitations to how much you can control all your units. The purpose behind this design choice is present elsewhere - preventing the player from being overwhelmed with the amount of available command decisions by creating limitations such as "supply limits" (think in StarCraft where you need more Supply Depots to build more units, and even then there's a hard max).

Like the limited city sites, this at first sounds like something that isn't that great for the player, but it turns out to be fantastic. It prevents the player from being incentivized to build such enormous amounts of units that they become bogged down with decision fatigue and so overwhelmed it starts to feel like a chore. And it does it in a way that is manageable and allows the player to improve upon as the game goes on (i.e. you can increase how many orders you get per turn through your various player choices).

In Closing
I could probably go on and on about all the things Old World does that are nothing new, and that have been done elsewhere, and in some cases, done better. But as you peer into what makes OW so enjoyable, you feel it's almost like the game designers of OW have looked into "what is it that players enjoy when playing a game", picking those out and including them; and also looked into "what is something tedious or unfun that players are stuck having to do in such games", picking those out and finding ways to remove them from the game. For example the tedium of multi-factor dynamic city site selection (eliminated via select city sites). For another example, managing countless units (eliminated via limited orders).

What OW brings to gaming is tying in all these game mechanics and elements in a way that optimizes player enjoyment based on its game design choices. While that's ultimately a subjective assessment, for players like myself, I think it's pretty much the perfect balance of having good mechanics that are enjoyable while excluding tedious and otherwise uninteresting elements.

I probably couldn't have wrote it much better myself...

:clap:

Maybe the only thing to extra-emphasize a bit...you mentioned it too in your last paragraph, but anyway: Beside including all those nice things you listed that we have seen similarly in other games (and getting them right where needed), OW also suceeds in getting them interwoven cleverly, balancing them vs. each other and inlcuding an AI actually being able to play the game as well. And those things are where especially Civ6 and also Humankind fail more or less. You can have fun with both of them, sure - but playing OW made me realize how I had scaled my inner expectations down (e.g. I was initially fairly enthusiastic about HK's tactical battles because Civ6 AI was completly absent - and now I witness how OWs AI snipes my units like I try to do it with the AI) and doing things like resorting to a strong roleplaying to increase the challenge (ironically, OW is even superior in its setting and interface for doing roleplay - it's just that I'm still learning to compete vs. the AI by playing optimized, so I have different concerns ATM :lol: )

OW also thankfully misses something most other strategy games have - certain exploits you know (like abusing trade/diplomacy/pillaging in Civ6 or alliances in CK3) and usually just avoid to get a challenge at all - but they are always lingering in the back and sometimes sneak in, especially if the rare situation happen that you come into trouble...then it is always a fight to avoid min-maxing just because you can. Not sure if OW is completly free of them (its hard for games witha certain complexity), but if they are there, then they aren't obvious and very limited in what they ruin. And they surely don't save you, if you played careless before...

Not sure if OW is completly free of them (its hard for games witha certain complexity), but if they are there, then they aren't obvious and very limited in what they ruin.
I'd say combat orders + undo button in my case.
But prob just because I'm not so good at it.
However with a lot of undo I can get a totally different result.
And not by knowing more of the map (I don't generally undo scouts to reveal more terrain, I consider that cheating), just by attacking different enemy units, with different of my units, in another order.
That was so tedious for me it kinda made me drift away. Although in my youth I would have spent nights learning everything to master it and enjoy it.

I'd say combat orders + undo button in my case.
But prob just because I'm not so good at it.
However with a lot of undo I can get a totally different result.
And not by knowing more of the map (I don't generally undo scouts to reveal more terrain, I consider that cheating), just by attacking different enemy units, with different of my units, in another order.
That was so tedious for me it kinda made me drift away. Although in my youth I would have spent nights learning everything to master it and enjoy it.
Indeed, I conceded in another already that I sometimes undo combat sequences, if I realized that I payed not enough attention to maxing out damage - I justify it as method to learn the game up to the point that I will intuitely do the right moves. I don't do it with the intention of triggering extra critical hits though. So yes, undo can be sorted in that category - but it is something you can completely disable in the game setup at least, if you desire and even if you don't, it is at least fairly easy to dose in use.

I was wondering how to incorporate the undo button in my review because it could potentially be polarizing. Certain "die-hards" may find offense at the existence of an undo button. And in one way you could see it as a unique innovation to the genre.

However, I see the undo button as emergent from the orders system. It is exactly because you have limited orders that having an undo button becomes so useful as to be borderline necessary (at least for new and intermediate players). That said, its existence is marvellous at reducing tedium. Because now you don't need to plot out all your moves on a piece of paper, calculate how many orders they each take, and make sure you have enough for all of them. You can just play the game and if something gets a little messed up, you can press undo as needed.

The undo button deserves massive amounts of praise and is a supremely wonderful quality of life setting. I'm just not sure it will be contextualized properly by most readers.

Reactions: uhu
Speaking about quality of life ... how would it be (instead of repeatedly press undo and replay) to see a list of the recent actions with the option to select a single one (or more) to be deleted (and retain the others)?

Or even drag and drop single actions within the list in order to regroup the succession ... :think:

Speaking about quality of life ... how would it be (instead of repeatedly press undo and replay) to see a list of the recent actions with the option to select a single one (or more) to be deleted (and retain the others)?

Or even drag and drop single actions within the list in order to regroup the succession ... :think:

As much as I see how comfortable this would be and where you are coming from to suggest it...it sounds like a programmers nightmare to implement that (and yes, its me saying this - for whom programming is a nightmare and who is a progarmmers worst nightmare himself by loving to make complex suggestions :lol: ) As many actions in a 4X game in general (and in OW even more because of the quite sophisticated rules everywhere) depend directly on each other, such a function would need a check, if action X can be currently undone or if Y,Z, Alpha,Beta... block it. After a sucessful undone step, this check needs to be updated for everything. And thats not even touching the impact on the RNG - if a unit does a critical hit it does it based on RNG, it doesn't feel fair (or differently spoken: even more serious cheat potential buried in here) that you would be able to keep the critical hit, but are allowed to single out actions which happened before it, cancel them, but preserve the RNG state those action lead to it the past.

It would be dead in the water because lots of things in OW can happen because of previous things. There's a natural order to the chain of some things. Changing the order of those things would just totally break everything.

I use undo to correct errors. I still see next unit and the game is hovering over the next unit so I tell it to move, only to find the unit I want isn't moving and the last one is heading away from a battle. :hammer2:

I have unit A1 and A2. I need to attack unit B, which full in health.
Action 1: A1 attacks B.
Action 2: A2 attacks B and has the promotion "more damage to a damaged unit".
If I cancel Action 1, Action 2 does not have the same impact anymore because A2 attacks a full in health unit and the promotion is useless.

As much as I see how comfortable this would be and where you are coming from to suggest it...
You saw me regretfully & imploringly trying to dig out one or two "free" single orders now urgently needed, but buried under a stack of dozens orders carelessly squandered in the beginning of the turn?
It would be dead in the water because lots of things in OW can happen because of previous things. There's a natural order to the chain of some things. Changing the order of those things would just totally break everything.
Yeah, I should have suppressed the drag and drop variant at all and just trying to make a good example of removing single orders in a careful Mikado style ... It could be even colour-coded: save, unconnected orders in green & chains of (potentially) dependent orders in red.
I expected, it could work, IF the player knows, what he is doing ... ok, one should never assume that :D

edit: @PiR: Yes, of course one cannot arrange the orders in a quasi random pattern. Most orders are forbidden to be removed (avoiding here the removal of blocks to make it not more complicated).
The question is more: can we carefully pull out a prudently selected Mikado stick with 64 upon (on top of?) it.

Reactions: PiR
I can see how pulling back a worker build order from the start of the turn could be possible. Unfortunately, as I found out when I broke it adding in an undo counter a month ago the undo-redo beast in OW is such a fragile thing. I can see @Solver pinning me down and cracking me in the face with a lump of wood shouting Scandinavian obscenities at me over and over if I support such an idea. :D

I can see how pulling back a worker build order from the start of the turn could be possible.
Those are my prime candidates too, along with orders "not happening on the map" like teaching children etc.

Unfortunately, as I found out when I broke it adding in an undo counter a month ago the undo-redo beast in OW is such a fragile thing.
Removing "harmless" single orders from the stack while retaining all others was the first idea - if viable with reasonable effort.

Another (more flexible and more robust eg. in relation to cheat potential / RNG impact mentioned by @Pfeffersack) possibility could be undoing the whole stack and then actually playing (most of) the orders again (resulting eventually in different outcome) -- just with the simpler input method picking from the list of a moment ago undone orders (eg. order i until order j) instead of normal playing.

I can see @Solver pinning me down and cracking me in the face with a lump of wood shouting Scandinavian obscenities at me over and over if I support such an idea.:D
Nono, I see you exercising stalling resistance & rugged defense ...

Adjacency Bonuses to Building
This has been done before. For example, Civ6 grants adjacency bonuses for districts. For another example, one of the Galactic Civilizations games (either 2 and/or 3) grants adjacency bonuses for building hexes on a planet. So this is nothing new.

However, in Old World you get more and better chances to take advantage of adjacencies. In Civ6, it's generally just districts, and they're hyper-permanent; once it's down you can never get rid of it or tweak your layout. In GC3, the tiles are prepopulated on the planet and often there are too few to really take advantage of opportunities. In OW, adjacency bonuses can apply to all manner of improvements, and you can change them around if you wish to optimize differently later. It can provide a source of fun to tweak your improvements strategy taking this into account.
I agree that Old World has many good parts, but I disagree strongly that Old World performs well in this particular area. I far from think Civ6 hit the balance perfectly with its heavy focus on flat district adjacency bonuses, but at least Civ6 gave me a feeling of planning the layout of my cities, which was fun and possible given the limited number of districts.

That is not at all the case with Old World. Sure, there are buildings that get adjacency bonuses - and I prefer the bonuses being tied to building yields rather than flat district yields - but with the huge number of buildings that will go into each city, often in a rather chaotic build order, I have the feeling of zero long term planning when I put down my cities. At most, I will try to place a hamlet so that I can put culture buildings around it, but otherwise, it’s mostly a question of putting down a building in whatever position is most favourable for it at the given time it unlocks. The limited freedom you have with regards to placing buildings (need to be adjacent to two urban tiles or a coast, needs certain culture level) means you can’t hold a great number of tiles reserved for late game buildings, and the adjacency bonuses often feel rather underwhelming anyway.

The lack of infrastructure planning is definitely one of my biggest issues with the game. Old World with districts would have been a much more amazing game imo.

I agree that Old World has many good parts, but I disagree strongly that Old World performs well in this particular area. I far from think Civ6 hit the balance perfectly with its heavy focus on flat district adjacency bonuses, but at least Civ6 gave me a feeling of planning the layout of my cities, which was fun and possible given the limited number of districts.

That is not at all the case with Old World. Sure, there are buildings that get adjacency bonuses - and I prefer the bonuses being tied to building yields rather than flat district yields - but with the huge number of buildings that will go into each city, often in a rather chaotic build order, I have the feeling of zero long term planning when I put down my cities. At most, I will try to place a hamlet so that I can put culture buildings around it, but otherwise, it’s mostly a question of putting down a building in whatever position is most favourable for it at the given time it unlocks. The limited freedom you have with regards to placing buildings (need to be adjacent to two urban tiles or a coast, needs certain culture level) means you can’t hold a great number of tiles reserved for late game buildings, and the adjacency bonuses often feel rather underwhelming anyway.

The lack of infrastructure planning is definitely one of my biggest issues with the game. Old World with districts would have been a much more amazing game imo.
I agree that OW more often destroys the perfect adjacency minigame with its strict placement rules and the pressure to better get less now than more later, but I see it rather as a challenge to realize some adjacencies despite. Also, you have the option to replace improvements later and my favourite character archtype (Judge) can even upgrade buildings, which saves precious room. If I have a complain, than it's rather that Civ style map tacks missing. Yeah, consider me spoiled here...but they are just an ultra-cool and comfortable thing I good used, too. At least their absence doesn't hurt as much as in Humankind, which takes adjacency puzzling to absolute highs (and goes even overboard with them, IMO)

Top Bottom