Oman Civilization

Jkchart

Emperor
Hi guys,

So I’ve always had the idea of Oman making a great inclusion to the series. Other than filling out a TSL spot in the Arabian peninsula, since Saladin’s capital is in Egypt, Oman was a colonial Empire that managed to free itself from Portuguese colonial occupation and dominated much of the Indian Ocean in trade and colonization. They also managed to (largely) remain independent from British influence, and are fascinating due to their isolation from the rest of the Muslim nations due to their Ibadism. Here are some ideas I finally put together for them making an introduction as a new Civ:

Omani Empire

Leader: Saif Bin Sultan
Ability: +50% Production towards Naval Raider Units. Specialty districts on the coast are constructed 33% faster and give +1 housing to the city. Cities that have a specialty district on the coast get an additional amenity.
Agenda: likes those who keep their people happy and who use Naval raiders. Dislikes opponents who raid him, or who ignore these activities.

Saif Bin Sultan was famous for fighting back against the Portuguese and establishing colonies in Zanzibar. He also encouraged Omani immigration to the coastal areas, and developed the agriculture of the country.

Omani ability: Imamate (Holy Sites provide +2 loyalty to their city, and an additional +2 loyalty if on another continent, so long as they are not following another player’s religion. Gains faith and increased loyalty from using Inquisitors to remove heresy, or from defeating enemy religious units with them. Inquisitors have +5 theological combat strength in home territory).

Oman has remained staunchly Ibadi throughout history due to their location, as well as to the Imamate that controlled the interior of the country from Nizwa. This should give Oman some strong bonuses towards religion, and I made it so they were fiercely protective of their religion.

Preferred religion: Islam
Capital: Rustaq (Saif’s residence)
Start Bias: Coast and Desert

Unique Unit: Baghlah (replaces Privateer; can move after attacking or pillaging, and uses less movement points to do so. Has additional moves if it starts in Ocean and costs slightly less). Baghlahs were dhows used for piracy and trading. Saif encouraged piracy against the Europeans.

Unique Improvement: Falaj (aka a Qanat in Persian, many were created by Saif. These improvements only are allowed one per city; they can only be placed in hills, or adjacent to mountains. They provide fresh water if an aqueduct is connected to them, and adjacent farms get +1 food, and plantations +1 gold. The improvement also provides additional +2 housing to the city.)

What do you guys think?

I think the falaj would look cool, but as you described it is pretty counterintuitive for a desert bias unless it allows farming of desert.

I think the falaj would look cool, but as you described it is pretty counterintuitive for a desert bias unless it allows farming of desert.
That makes sense. So basically allow farms on desert near it as well. Thanks! I totally forgot about that oops

Great job on designing this, I'd love to see this civ get made! Some people have pointed out that the other Indian Ocean trading civ (Swahili) doesn't have a whole lot of info on its leaders but it sounds like it isn't the case here since Saif sounds fascinating.

Great job on designing this, I'd love to see this civ get made! Some people have pointed out that the other Indian Ocean trading civ (Swahili) doesn't have a whole lot of info on its leaders but it sounds like it isn't the case here since Saif sounds fascinating.
Thank you so much! I think it could really add a lot of flavor to the game to have an Empire from the region like this. Cholas would be another good idea from the region now that I think about it

Top Bottom