[RD] Omega v. Plato: A Rebuttal of the Republic [Series]

Sphacteria was about a few hundred spartans, surrounded after a landing of the athenian fleet on that island. It wasn't a battle :)

Leuktra, on the other hand, was where thousands of Spartans along with their king died.
Yeah but at Spacteria they SURRENDERED :D

(and anyway, the ones who destroyed Sparta were the Spartans themselves with their laws which made their population fall constantly)

Yeah but at Spacteria they SURRENDERED :D

(and anyway, the ones who destroyed Sparta were the Spartans themselves with their laws which made their population fall constantly)

Spartans always had a hegemonic attitude. They also refused (only ones) to be part of Alexander's campaign, afaik with the reasoning that they only would fight if they were head of the campaign. An ancient epigram commemorates the victors as "Alexander and Greeks apart from Lacedaemonians" ;)

I am Plato. My republic is the dopest.

I'm eager to follow this. Plato-bashing is something I am always in the mood for, and maybe I will even re-read The Republic!

I'm interested, and if this takes off, I might make it the occasion for my reading through the Republic. I tried once, but got bored around book 4, iirc.

I have trouble reading Platonic dialogues because any time I would have given a different answer than the character in the dialogue, I get frustrated that Socrates goes on to address the answer he got rather than the answer I would have given.

I share a little of Kosmos' skepticism regarding the overall undertaking: We see things differently after two and a half milllenia of ongoing political thought and practice? Well, no s---, Sherlock!

But if this thread serves to get me through the treatise, it's all to the good. I can check another classic off on my classics checklist.

Megs said:
For those unaware, The Republic is a political treatise, by Plato, about his mentor Socrates arriving at a dinner party, and discussing with the guests there the nature of virtue and the ideal state. It is extremely grounded in the philosophy of not even just Ancient Greece, but honestly of an extremely small subsection of them that followed the words and teaching of Socrates. It is said that the Republic is the basis of western political philosophy, as it is really the first of its kind to argue what a government ought to be.

I also think its a load of [excrement].

When I started taking this political thought class this semester, I was actually kind of really getting into Socrates. My professor loved him and his history, and she was really doing a great job setting him up as this contrarian figure who ended up almost like a martyr against a state and people who were too afraid to look against their own corruption. And, I still do see that; there was issues with Athens around the time with the inability to pursue alternative viewpoints, and their own hubris ultimately led to their destruction against Sparta (seriously, you can't win an offesnive war just by hiding behind a wall. You can only delay losing. They didn't even try to leverage their navy to create naval landings or what not).

But what I see in the Republic is, honestly, something I would describe as a proto-fascist and Orwellian dictatorship, and I think anyone who seriously attempted to build such a state today would not create virtue and justice, but an honest to god actual dystopia. It all starts with faulty axioms on what virtue is, and what is the role of government, and it really just goes downhill when no one ever really tries to challenge what ends up being further and further slips into oppression and totalitarianism wrapped under a facetious banner of "justice".

Of course, this is something I can't just write up at once, so what I am going to do is break down the Republic to its individual chapters, summarize what actually goes on in that chapter, and then, most importantly, discuss the issues I find with the passage, and how I would give my own answer to virtue, justice, and the ideal state. I invite all those who are interested in exploring the Republic with me, to engage what Socrates does in the Republic, and respond and criticize my answers to the best of your ability. Of course I can't have the real Socrates (or Plato) debate me, but I can certainly have you contentious lot do the same, and with multiple viewpoints as well.

The ideal state is one which doesn't exist

Btw, "The republic" is a bad translation of "H Politeia". Republic, as noted before, is a roman term meaning "public thing"/res publica). Politeia means "of the citizens" (or "forming out of the citizens"). Polites=citizens, polis=city etc. A more accurate (if problematic) translation would just be "The State", although the latter is closer to the greek Kratos, which also signifies power, or even violent power.

Btw, "The republic" is a bad translation of "H Politeia". Republic, as noted before, is a roman term meaning "public thing"/res publica). Politeia means "of the citizens" (or "forming out of the citizens"). Polites=citizens, polis=city etc. A more accurate (if problematic) translation would just be "The State", although the latter is closer to the greek Kratos, which also signifies power, or even violent power.

Would that be another form of, "We, the people"?

I don't see how "The State" would be a better translation, if what you want to capture is the notion of "[thing] deriving from the citizens."

If you wanted to capture that meaning in English, you could go with "The Polity," I suppose. Polity is a little bit rare as an English word, but it's in use.

You could also go with what is in English a rough synonym for "citizenry," namely "public," and then tack on a word meaning "entity," like let's say the Latin "res" (I go with a Latin word, since "public" is derived from Latin). That would convey that this entity is the entity that forms as a result of public interaction. That'd give you something like "Republic," which might serve as a workable word for what we're trying to describe here.

This isn't remotely relevant to the discussion topic.

That aside I'm interested in following this; I'm pretty interested in Platonic cosmology, but I know fairly little about the Republic itself so I'll more likely than not just watch.

Is there another institution that provides a greater mechanism for fostering economies of scale?

If we take Weber's definition of the state which has a monopoly on the legitimate use of violence, the question then becomes: what kind of group do we want to have a monopoly on legitimate violence? Do we want to live in a society with multiple entities/institutions that can legitimately use violence?

Sorry for the long delay. Yesterday was pretty busy for me irl, plus, I can't lie, the reaction I got from some people on this thread really put me off. Like, goddamn, if you don't like the idea that's fine, but really, if that's the case, why even post at all? If I bother you so much, just don't post! There's countless of other threads on OT; go be happy and post on the ones you actually care about. But insulting me while providing no other insight just because I want to critically look at a particular work doesn't further the conversation and, honestly, just makes you a dick. So can we just put our dicks away and have a nice, peaceful conversation?

Note that most people on the thread are cool and, I felt like I got the positive attention I needed that I will end up doing this. I'm only calling out a very small subsection of the people who contacted me (and you know who you are).

Will you be posting enough of a summary of the relevant chapters in order for people unfamiliar with the text to make sense of it, or will it be necessary to "follow along"?

The former is my intention. There is a lot to the book, and even when its taught in school, generally most of the middle (which, is honestly the most important part of the book, ironically enough) is skipped for time constraints. I don't expect everyone here to have even the basic knowledge of the Republic, so just limiting it to just people who read it before helps nobody.

That being said, there is some... filler. Stuff like what Socrates was doing before the conversation started in Book I, or extended quotations of Homer in Book III, while good for framing, aren't really necessary for understanding what is actually going on in terms of the philosophy being thrown around. Especially for the latter, I do plan on talking about it for the sake of understanding (since they're quoting Homer for a reason; namely whether or not to censor Homer's verses in their hypothetical state), but I'm not going to worry about analyzing every single bit of the filler sections. I will be talking about censorship extensively, and why they want to censor Homer, but I don't feel like I need to break down and personally analyze Homer myself; only Socrates/Plato's interpretation of Homer ultimately matters for this discussion.

Hope that makes sense? I'll be covering more than I'm skipping, at the very least.

Perhaps in your opinion, but even if so, I feel like you are being a bit too pedantic at this stage. Even a Marxist non-state is still, philosophically, a form of organization of peoples. It is still most usefully classified as a form of a state in terms of case study of other forms of organizations of peoples, even if part of the definition is the lack of a state. After all, there are non-marxist but still stateless societies, like really extreme anarcho-capitalism, and I'm sure you'd hate being lumped with them. ;)

It's like atheism; defined by the lack of religion altogether, but still lumped with other faiths as a "religion" for demographical purposes. As an atheist, I'm not offended by that, because people like to categorize: it's human nature.

Not endorsing what WIM said, far from it, but like SK said, its kind of off topic. Just wanted to throw my own two cents.

@People debating over the Peloponnesian War:

OK, I'll be honest, that was kind of a throwaway line in the OP, because really it just seems like Athens was getting into a war it can not win, with one of the stupidest offensive plans ever derived. That being said, I am not a military scientist, and trying to argue how Athens could have won (if at all) is beyond the scope of this thread. The main point out of including that comment was more "Athenian society had issues going on, one of which being a lot of hubris "

@People debating over the translation of the title of The Republic

I don't speak Greek, so I can't weigh in personally on that subject, but I do find what you guys are saying to be interesting. I can't say anything, but I am reading and taking into account what you are saying.

Fun fact: that's almost exactly what res publica means.

The Republic is either a satirical critique of Athens, or Plato thinks the execution of Socrates was justified.

The Republic is either a satirical critique of Athens, or Plato thinks the execution of Socrates was justified.

Yeah, reading that particular bit in Book III was the red flag that really made me want to do this. Beyond the fact that this Republic is extremely totalitarian and proto-fascist, there is no way to reconcile what he says re: censorship of ideas to what happened to Socrates in actuality (especially since this was written after his death). Either what you said is true, or Socrates/Plato are flaming hypocrites who only care about questioning the state when they're not the state (which was the interpretation I got out if it, personally).

Can we be friends now? Because these are exactly the same thoughts I had when reading the Republic. :)

It has been noted before that The Republic actually prescribes a rather horrible form of government. Completely divided in castes, elitist to the bone, deliberately lying to the masses in order for them to accept their submission... pretty horrendous stuff.

So why was it held in such high regard by philosophers from all eras and considered some model for government? Well, because Plato suggested a rule by philosophers, so it's no wonder they loved the idea.

Top Bottom