Omens

Kaenash

Warlord
I read about Omens and thought it would be interesting. I spent my time just converting the natives (That was easy) and expanding into the huge valley.

I didn't attack anyone once (A rarity for me in these games) when the messengers show up nothing big happens until Death. Then every turn he wipes out my cities. Does he ever go away or is it just that you play each turn watching yourself get wiped out?

I didn't understand what triggered his attacks. We had a much higher spread rate of protestantism than the french do catholic. We had much higher score.

If your religion isn't followed by 75% of the population of the world when Death shows up, he declares war on you. It's basically a soft time limit.

EDIT: And a very lame one. Anyone want to tell me how Death can raze a city with defenders still standing even though he's not even allowed to capture cities?

Yes, it SHOULD mean he can't raze the city. You just try razing a city with Gunships. They cannot enter an enemy city, period, and you have to enter the city to get the option to keep-or-raze.

That's also completely ignoring the fact that I still had several defenders that hadn't been killed when he razed my city.

I don't know if y'all noticed this or not, but Pestilence has an attack power of 666 and 5 movement points. Now, I haven't seen death yet, But I'm pretty sure the unit is just as powerful if not more. Maybe they gave it Blitz?

Yes, it has 15 movement points and Blitz. It also has "cannot capture cities" and there were still defenders sitting on the ruins of the city on my next turn - in other words, it's able to raze cities at will without following the rules of the game. That's broken design.

Wtf? No it's not. "Following the rules of the game" would be Death starting out with a settler and warrior, and going up from there.

Scenarios are not supposed to follow the game's rules.

GenocideBringer said:
Wtf? No it's not. "Following the rules of the game" would be Death starting out with a settler and warrior, and going up from there.

Incorrect. That is a convention, not a rule. You can start out with any number or type of units and it's still within the rules of the game.

Rules of the game:
In order to enter a square, there must be no enemy units present in that square (except invisible units).
In order to capture or raze a city, you must be in the city square and a combat unit that is capable of capturing cities.

Death ignores both those rules. Instead it seems to have a script attached to it that runs whenever it wins a combat and instantly razes the city the defenders are defending, whether or not there are any defenders left.

I'd have no objection to this if it were done within the rules. If Death didn't have "may not capture cities" and had to defeat all defenders (which it's easily capable of) before it could raze a city, there wouldn't be a problem. It'd still be just as lethal. Instead, the designer made the extremely poor decision to circumvent two of the most basic Civ rules for no good reason.

Top Bottom