On agendas that prevent from playing

Liufeng

A man of his time
- Alexander : Short Life of Glory Likes civilizations at war with powers other than Macedon. Has disdain for civilizations at peace.
- Amanitore : City Planner Always tries to keep the maximum number of districts in each city. Respects other civilizations who also develop their cities in this fashion.
- Catherine de Medici : Black Queen Gains as many Spies and as much diplomatic access as possible. Dislikes civilizations that ignore these espionage activities.
- Chandragupta : Maurya Empire Wants to expand his empire, and dislikes civilizations that have cities close to his borders. Likes civilizations that aren't close to his borders.
- Cleopatra : Queen of the Nile Likes civilizations with powerful militaries, and dislikes civilizations with weak militaries.
- Cyrus : Opportunist Likes leaders who have declared a Surprise war. Dismisses leaders who do not use Surprise War declarations.
- Frederick Barbarossa : Iron Crown Will attempt to conquer as many city-states as possible. Dislikes city-state suzerains as well as leaders who have conquered city-states.
- Gandhi : Peacekeeper Will never declare wars for which he can be branded a warmonger, and will try to befriend those who maintain the peace. Hates warmongers.
- Genghis Khan : Horse Lord Likes to build mounted units, dislikes Civilizations with more mounted units than him.
- Gilgamesh : Ally of Enkidu Likes civilizations who are willing to form a long-term alliance. Dislikes anyone denouncing or attacking his friends and allies.
- Gitarja : Archipelagic State Likes civilizations who avoid settling or conquering cities on small landmasses. Hates anyone with numerous cities on such islands.
- Gorgo : With Your Shield or On It Never gives up items in a peace deal. Likes civilizations that haven't yielded in a peace deal. Dislikes civilizations that have surrendered in a peace deal and civilizations that have never engaged in a war.
- Harald Hardrada : Last Viking King Likes leaders with strong navies. Dislikes leaders who neglect their navies.
- Tokimune Hojo : Bushido Likes civilizations that have a strong military and faith and culture output. Dislikes civilizations that are strong in military but weak in faith and culture output.
- Jadwiga : Saint Tries to build up faith, and likes civilizations that also focus on faith.
- Jayavarman VII : An End to Suffering Likes civilizations with many holy sites and with a high average city Population. Dislikes civs lacking in either of these areas.
- John Curtin : Perpetually on Guard Forms defensive pacts with friends and likes civilizations that liberate cities. Dislikes civilizations that are occupying enemy cities.
- Lautaro : Spirit of Tucapel Tries to maintain a high degree of cultural loyalty, and respects civilizations who do the same. Dislikes civilizations that fail to maintain the loyalty of their people.
- Montezuma I : Tlatoani Likes civilizations who have the same luxury resources as he does, and will try to collect every Luxury resource available. Dislikes civilizations who have a new Luxury resource he has not yet collected.
- Mvemba a Nzinga : Enthusiastic Disciple Likes leaders whose religions have spread to his cities. Dislikes leaders who have founded a religion and not spread it to a Kongo city.
- Pedro II : Patron of the Arts Likes civilizations who are not competing for great people, and will recruit Great People whenever possible. Dislikes civilizations with more Great People than him.
- Pericles : Delian League Likes civilizations that aren't competing for the same city-state allegiance. Dislikes civilizations that are directly competing for city-state allegiance.
- Peter I : Westernizer Friendly to those civilizations that are ahead of him in science and culture. Dislikes backwards civilizations that are lacking in science and culture.
- Philipp II : Defender of the Faith Wants all of his cities to follow the same religion. Likes civilizations that follow his religion. Dislikes civilizations that spread other religions to his cities.
- Poundmaker : Iron Confederacy Tries to establish as many alliances as possible, and likes civilizations that do the same. Dislikes civilizations that don't establish Alliances.
- Qin Shi : Wall of 10,000 Li Builds wonders whenever possible, and likes civilizations not competing for wonders. Dislikes civilizations with more wonders than him.
- Robert Bruce : Flower of Scotland Will never attack his neighboring civilizations unless they break a promise to him, and dislikes anyone waging war on them. Likes civilizations not at war with his Neighbors.
- Saladin : Ayyubid Dynasty Wants his worship building in as many cities as possible, and likes civilizations with it. Dislikes civilizations following other religions or waging war on followers of his Religion.
- Seondeok : Cheomseongdae Focuses on building up science, and respects civilizations who do the same. Dislikes civilizations with a weak science output.
- Shaka : Horn, Chest, Loins Tries to form as many Corps and Armies as possible. Dislikes civilizations who have few Corps and Armies.
- Tamar : Narikala Fortress Tries to put high level walls around her cities and respects civilizations that follow her lead. Does not like civilizations that fail to fortify their cities.
- Theodore Roosevelt : Big Stick Policy Likes peaceful Civilizations that have a city on his home continent. Hates civilizations starting wars on his continent.
- Tomirys : Backstab Averse Likes civilizations who are their declared friend. Hates civilizations who backstab and declare surprise wars.
- Trajan : Optimus Princepes Tries to include as much territory as possible to his empire. Does not like civilizations which control little territory.
- Victoria : Sun Never Sets Likes leaders who share her continent. Dislikes leaders who are on a continent without an English city.
- Wilhelmina : Billionaire Likes civilizations that send Trade Routes to her cities frequently. Dislikes civilizations who refrain from sending her Trade Routes.

Here is a list of all of the leader's personnal agendas in the game. In red, you have the gamebreaking ones. Why gamebreaking ? Most of the agendas either congratulate or push you to be better at something, to be good in an aspect or to not play a certain way (like avoid waging war in Teddy's continent).
But the ones in red punish the player for simply being better than a lazy AI, and prevent basically any form of alliance with these civs. Basically, it's a form of agendas that say "how dare you play the game" ? Truly, these agendas should be changed because it's impossible to have relations with these civs ...

I'm surprised you didn't make Pericles' Delian League red. I anger him all the time by accidentally fulfilling CS quests.

Doesn't Genghis like strong cavalry?

I'm surprised you didn't make Pericles' Delian League red. I anger him all the time by accidentally fulfilling CS quests.
Thing is, even though, there are accidents as you say, it's normal there would be a leader wouldn't like players that try to ally with the same CS as him. It's not like Frederick that hates you for allying with ANY CS ...
Gorgo and Alexander are the worst.
I should have probably included Alexander, since the only way to keep him happy is to be in a permanent war, which is impossible except for himself. However, just Gandhi who hates warmongers, I think its perfect normal there is a leader that doesn't like peaceful players. It's a choice of gameplay, and the goal is to satisfy the most people, not everyone (as long as it is possible, which is not with those in red).

I don't mind that some agendas are very hard to please. That's in character for some of these leaders. Throughout the civ series there have always been leaders who are very difficult to please, who would backstab for a dime, and who were just generally ill tempered.

My only issue with agendas is they all have an equilibrium of "like" and "dislike" which results in some leaders who are unrealistically irritable. The main ones that stick out:
  • Pedro - Hating other civs who have lots of Great People feels like the exact opposite of the real Pedro.
  • Saladin - Was an agreeable and respected person in general, at least according to historical accounts
  • Pericles - Too petty about other people interacting with city states

For these leaders, I think a strong or moderate positive for fulfilling their agenda paired with a very small (like around -2) negative attitude is more appropriate. That's if they even need a "negative" reaction at all. I'm not convinced Pedro or Saladin do. They should have a strong positive side and no real negative side. That's how past civs worked--some civs are very agreeable, and some are petulant. Right now we have too much petulance.

I just think its being read the wrong way. Some civs you are likely to get an early game bonus with but struggle later while the opposite happens with others.

Frederick: he is easy to be friends with early, just do not use your (few) early envoys until you are friends.... friends +9 Competing CS -6 ... simple maths.
Ghengis: If you have mounted he is gonna take them off you so don;t build them if he is next door and bang he is your friend.... simple
Gitarja: they are small islands and no-one ever settles them to start with. The fact is she seems to be a warmonger by default so be careful next to her, further away she will be yours.
Monty: every game I have started next to him bar a couple I have been his friend first, just do not get luxes for a wee while, no biggie and saves facing eagles early.

And so it goes.... I just think you atre being too critical, there is not a leader I could not make friends with ... its a matter of choice and sacrifice like many other parts of the game.

The only one that really bothers me is Frederick. His agenda means that he basically has a -6 with everyone in the game. And since it goes the same for everyone, it's not really an agenda, it's just a flat onus.

I am much more bothered with random agendas since some of them are very unconditional or opposite to normal agendas. So, you are bound to get negatives no matter what.
Do they still have the random agenda where the AI hates you based on your chosen leader's sex, or have they patched that out? There is absolutely nothing you can do about that one.

Is Gitarja's Agenda really that bad? I never seem to trigger it. Maybe because I don't like settling tiny islands. :p

I think there should be some agendas you can do nothing about other than deal with them. It has always been an historical possibility that nations could be at an absolute impasse over some things, yet still be able to co-operate in other areas. Its sort of like terrain features that you can do nothing about other than....go around.

I just have a hard time making friends in this game period. Sometimes, I get it. But even when I have nothing but (and lots of) green modifiers with Cleo, I ask for friendship and she laughs at me and name drops Caesar and Marc Antony. Then she joins someone else in a war against me. often. Even though she bats her eyes and likes the size of my...army. No pleasing that woman.

I just have a hard time making friends in this game period. Sometimes, I get it. But even when I have nothing but (and lots of) green modifiers with Cleo, I ask for friendship and she laughs at me and name drops Caesar and Marc Antony. Then she joins someone else in a war against me. often. Even though she bats her eyes and likes the size of my...army. No pleasing that woman.
I seem to have a very easy time making friends lately. When the game first came out, other civilizations always hated me and would never sign friendship pacts, and it was something I really didn't like about this game.

Now it seems that on Emperor I have no difficulty getting most of the early civilizations I meet to love me. I like to sign friendship treaties with the nations along my borders to guarantee we will not go to war, and it makes me very happy. I am not sure what is different, but it must be something that they did to the game.

@Karpius I sort of agree, but I feel it should be different, more like conflicting agendas from different leaders. If doing X will make Gandhi happy, it will make Gorgo pissed, as an example. So then you have to choose which leader you would like to be on the good side of, knowing it will make good relations with another all but impossible. Then at least there is some choice for the player and something we can do. I feel there should be a road to everyone's heart, just not everyone at the same time. When it's just a flat out agenda that there is absolutely nothing you can do anything about, it feels artificial to me.

I am not sure what is different, but it must be something that they did to the game.
Yup, they changed the worth/ cost values over a couple of patches. Bottom line is it’s even possible to make friends sometimes when someone dislikes you

I think Wilhelmina's one is terrible, if you're any distance from her. It also makes her pretty suicidal since it ends up everyone hates her. Germany's is pretty bad and I don't get how it works sometimes. Sometimes he has a positive reaction when I became suzerain. Montezuma's is really bad, especially if you should pick up a unique amenity. Pedro is awful, and I never get along with him. Either he gets pissed at me or he just remains smug so it's lose-lose. Similar to Qin but at least that's more manageable. Victoria's is pretty bad but then again her AI is like the worst one for some reason. Kongo and Arabia are bad if you found a religion.

Also, while not always environmentalist, I generally hate Teddy for that reason.

Saladin's agenda has an easy fix:
Saladin: Ayyubid Dynasty: Wants his worship building in as many cities as possible, and likes civilizations with it. Dislikes civilizations <remove>following other religions or</remove> waging war on followers of his Religion.

The plus side might still be a bit hard (but not impossible), but at least the negative side would be balanced and interesting (similar to Teddy's, really) instead of making his hatred inevitable.

Likewise, Wilhelmina's malus should only trigger if you actually have cities in trade range. Alternatively, trading via the diplomacy screen (e.g., luxury resources, gold-per-turn, etc.) should be enough to avoid the malus.

I've had a similar problem with Mvemba getting mad before I've had enough time to physically get my missionaries across the map to him (though that could be fixed just by allowing a longer grace period before the malus starts to kick in).

I think the idea behind a lot of these is to create conflict, with the player and among the AIs. Pedro “hates” (which means he’s more likely to be aggressive towards) those civs that also focus on Great People. Frederick “hates” those that befriend City-States. Etc. etc. This should result in more interesting conflicts and grudges among the AIs, and it’s possible—intentional, I think—that you may not be able to please all the AI civs in a game. I think it’s meant to lead to emergent relationships.

I’m just not sure that it works.

Top Bottom