On communitas map

The fact you got rid of those mini islands already makes this 100x better. I generated a couple games to see how it felt, and everything looks like you're on the right track. You've done a great job so far and I'm excited!

I can check again later, but I don't recall my strategics being wonky with high numbers. However, there was still a couple instances where I noticed excessive mountain chains. One map generated with Attila basically cut-off from his neigbour, ruining any chance he had at warring effectively. Nothing too crazy, but enough that I noticed the ranges would be OP if held by Inca. Might just want to knock the number down the slightest bit.

If you're planning to add more snow (which I agree with since it creates more variety, and barbarians constantly spawning there is fun too), maybe add more Uranium there and reduce the amount of Uranium elsewhere. What else can currently spawn on snow?

If you're planning to add more snow (which I agree with since it creates more variety, and barbarians constantly spawning there is fun too), maybe add more Uranium there and reduce the amount of Uranium elsewhere. What else can currently spawn on snow?

Having to build a city in the snow to get uranium strikes me as "game-y" and the antithesis of fun.

In snow you might find aluminum and maybe oil. These resources can be found all around the world, but in snow the chance is higher.
You don't have to settle in snow, just reach it with your city borders, the same you don't need to settle the desert to grab some oil.
Snow patches are so rare that I doubt you can settle nearby every game.
Anyways, those are late game resources, so any city is going to struggle long time if settling too close to the harsh zone. Best intended for colonists.

Yesterday I couldn't progress too much. I managed to draw a straight line, but then I hit a stone as I'm struggling with lua grammar and object oriented programming (I did some c scripts in my youth, but always sequential programming). As I thought, that's a major commitment for me.

I vaguely remember one day where I concluded that it was linked with the use of RAS. None map script mods work. Not only yours
JFYI, I use RAS and the Tectonic map script works for me as a mod. (not saying that RAS cannot be a problem for specific conditions on your end)

JFYI, I use RAS and the Tectonic map script works for me as a mod. (not saying that RAS cannot be a problem for specific conditions on your end)
I've found that a reason for a map not showing is to have two different files in valid locations announcing the same map name. When I started using Communitas name, I had to move the original file to an invalid location (valid are MOD and maps folders). In fact, using a different name helps making changes faster.

Also, if you want the map as mod, the infomod file must point to the map script file name. It brings a md5 check, but failing the check doesn't prevent the map from loading.

If a map mod is not loading, I would try the following:
1 remove the map script from the assets/maps folder. If it is a subscribed mod and you made modifications or you are not using standard addresses, unsubscribe.
2 check the infomod file. It must be located in the same folder inside the user MODS folder, and point to the right file, announce the same map name.
3 then it should be enabled as a mod and you'll be able to see the map in Additional maps when creating a new game.

This sounds very acknowledging on my part, but I wasted two hours yesterday trying to figure out why the last test mapscript wasn't loading. And I ended up putting it on the assets/maps folder...

Quick update.

I've been working on the rifts. Oh boy, oh boy, it's been exhausting.
As I feared, every time I tried to produce new code, something failed (type mismatch, parenthesis missing, unavailable data, nil values, ...). So I just took the same code that exists for rifts and try to adapt it to follow the path of fewer altitude, with a weight to make it prefer the starting column when near the borders. It's much easier for me to work on the maths and ignore handling the objects. Aaand it worked. It's the same code but instead of producing rift tiles from a sinusoidal line, it uses the last plot as base, and the next plot is decided upon my conditions. Rift shapes are different in every iteration, sometimes they look natural, sometimes they don't, but they are almost never too stretchy. I just copied the same code to a new fuction where I replaced X for Y, and now it throws a wandering line that ends up in the same latitude as it starts almost always. If you generate a map with two oceans, it is guaranteed to have a circumnavegable path. This path looks natural, at least in standard size, it's not like a human made canal and only breaks continents when it's absolutely necessary. I'm quite proud of it, if you ask me. And tired.

It still has work to do. I want to increase the 'looseness' in the middle of the map, and remove part of the arctic oceans so arctic locations don't start always with a coast. I want to test it in smaller maps too.
When I'm done, I'll look into the mountains, as I'm not seeing good chains.
I think the next release is different enough from the original to merit its own name, so I will publish it in the map scripts section.

Sorry about pics. I have two methods for these pics, and none is satisfactory. I can start a game with IGE and show pieces of a map without fog but unlighted (I don't have units in the zone, so all units are hidden and the map is darker), as the ones I posted before. Or I can make a screenshot of WorldBuilder, where the whole world can be seen in strategic view, but the resolution is very poor and things like rivers and resources are not noticeable. If you know a way to produce lighted maps with resources, let me know.

Unlighted works fine; you only changed the rifts right?

Quick update.

I've been working on the rifts. Oh boy, oh boy, it's been exhausting.
As I feared, every time I tried to produce new code, something failed (type mismatch, parenthesis missing, unavailable data, nil values, ...). So I just took the same code that exists for rifts and try to adapt it to follow the path of fewer altitude, with a weight to make it prefer the starting column when near the borders. It's much easier for me to work on the maths and ignore handling the objects. Aaand it worked. It's the same code but instead of producing rift tiles from a sinusoidal line, it uses the last plot as base, and the next plot is decided upon my conditions. Rift shapes are different in every iteration, sometimes they look natural, sometimes they don't, but they are almost never too stretchy. I just copied the same code to a new fuction where I replaced X for Y, and now it throws a wandering line that ends up in the same latitude as it starts almost always. If you generate a map with two oceans, it is guaranteed to have a circumnavegable path. This path looks natural, at least in standard size, it's not like a human made canal and only breaks continents when it's absolutely necessary. I'm quite proud of it, if you ask me. And tired.

It still has work to do. I want to increase the 'looseness' in the middle of the map, and remove part of the arctic oceans so arctic locations don't start always with a coast. I want to test it in smaller maps too.
When I'm done, I'll look into the mountains, as I'm not seeing good chains.
I think the next release is different enough from the original to merit its own name, so I will publish it in the map scripts section.

Sorry about pics. I have two methods for these pics, and none is satisfactory. I can start a game with IGE and show pieces of a map without fog but unlighted (I don't have units in the zone, so all units are hidden and the map is darker), as the ones I posted before. Or I can make a screenshot of WorldBuilder, where the whole world can be seen in strategic view, but the resolution is very poor and things like rivers and resources are not noticeable. If you know a way to produce lighted maps with resources, let me know.

In Debug Mode you can reveal everything lighted including late game ressources by pressing ctrl+z.

On a side note I noticed that there isn't a single atoll using this map script.

In Debug Mode you can reveal everything lighted including late game ressources by pressing ctrl+z.

On a side note I noticed that there isn't a single atoll using this map script.
Thanks!
It's on FireTurner, right?

Will look at atolls. I may turn some ocean tiles back to coast, now that I did reduce coast frequency inside the rift strip.

Thanks!
It's on FireTurner, right?

Will look at atolls. I may turn some ocean tiles back to coast, now that I did reduce coast frequency inside the rift strip.
You have to activate Debug Mode first. Open config.ini located in Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\ and locate the line that says DebugPanel = 0 and change the 0 to a 1 then save the file. After restarting the game with Debug enabled, you can press Control + Z to reveal the entire map. This process will also automatically introduce your Civ to all City States and other Civilizations.

Maybe check that duplicate island generation script.
Yes, it's there. The only time an atoll is created is just inside the GenerateIsles() function that is faulty of the massive island generation. Will try to bring it back without the isles.
But that'll have to wait until next week, RL gets in.

Playing v1.03 multiplayer, random settings with standard resource, continents and no rifts. Bonus resources seem to be ultra rare. There are also no horses on the map (not sure about the other strategics since I haven't researched them). Everyone is on the same continent. Temperature is most likely randomed into Cool, with so much tundra. Screenshots below.
Spoiler :
Barren desert that nobody can really settle.

Spoiler :
Venice has the only source of cattle I can find, and one of the only 3 stones, but no fish.

Spoiler :
No deer, no fish. Literally unplayable. Btw it's v1.03 isn't there supposed to be a passage near the south pole? Now it's all blocked by ice.

Spoiler :
My capital is also completely blocked by ice. Not sure if that should happen. At least I haven't seen it happen in Communitas before. Also featuring the only source of wheat on the map.

I did have another game with the same script (2 random rifts, and temperature definitely not cool), and everything seems to be plentiful there.

Removing the 1 tile sea passage between land and ice has been one of tu_79's goals. Maybe the ice is extending too far north now. This does also have the impact of removing opportunity for fish, crabs, and whales along the edges of the poles.

The other items are concerning. Just to be sure, you had the relevant techs researched for the resources you don't see?

Edit: Maybe we introduce an icebreaker unit!

In GraphicsSettingsDX9.ini or DX11.ini, under
Code:
[GraphicsDetailSettings]
NumberContinents =
Does the number affect the quantity of generated continents during map load? A search in the forums brings up nothing useful on it.

Top Bottom