On Failing To Build A Wonder

The production system I just outlined would be effective on the AI as well - and if we wanted, we wouldn't need to limit the AI from having carry-over production or picking what it wants to build. And done: AI is actually made stronger, and failing to build a wonder is no longer lame.

The production system I just outlined would be effective on the AI as well - and if we wanted, we wouldn't need to limit the AI from having carry-over production or picking what it wants to build. And done: AI is actually made stronger, and failing to build a wonder is no longer lame.
Or you can just deal with a failed wonder project one way or another.

It's not viable. I've said this already, but I'll say it again: there's no way to save production for a specific purpose, and thus you can't train the AI to do that. The AI can't be stronger if the function is impossible. So, to be as absolutely clear as possible, wonder failure compensation isn't being changed.

G

and he said he wasn't going to contribute to this thread anymore =) G just loves us like we're his school children.

G while youre here i had one last question- I know you said initial notifications wern't going to happen primarily because its just a flat advantage to player and i know that is the truth- theres no way around it (also for overlapping with spy function). i just wanted to ask though if my last post here had been considered as part of the overall weighted decision in the scheme of things? It's true players were never intended to know about wonders initial construction in this game, but to be fair the AI was also never intended to be this good! =)

this game has gotten a lot harder from vanilla- for everybody, on every difficulty level. the AI is smarter than ever before, many things that were poorly designed and thus caused grief have been overhauled. the only question worth asking here to me was "would extending the player an advantage that they already have (to a much smaller degree) make any sense now, given the current state of the mod?"

I know it's not a needed step, but there is an outside chance it adds to the fun factor. if people in the community didn't like it or found the game too easy suddenly owing to it, could always be scrapped right? if it were difficult to implement i'd say forget it but you had mentioned it would be a simple thing to add in

It's not viable. I've said this already, but I'll say it again: there's no way to save production for a specific purpose, and thus you can't train the AI to do that. The AI can't be stronger if the function is impossible. So, to be as absolutely clear as possible, wonder failure compensation isn't being changed.

G

That makes sense, then.

No more Culture or Gold?

It gives culture right now.

I think he meant what I said earlier that the culture you get back as the game goes later feels extremely underwhelming. Having the conversion-rate to culture scale with era (at least somewhat) would be nice. I mean in ancient era missing a wonder by 1 turn can net you 70 turns worth of culture while missing a industrial era wonder barely gives you 1 turn worth of culture.

Naturally the 70 turns is extreme, and mostly stems from there being extremely limited culture available early on, but the effect later on is unnoticeable.

It gives culture right now.

Deadstarre,

There's just not a place for it in the CBP. A mod mod is possible, though. I am going to make sure the espionage function is working though.

G

No-no, I meant - no more culture or gold?

I think he meant what I said earlier that the culture you get back as the game goes later feels extremely underwhelming. Having the conversion-rate to culture scale with era (at least somewhat) would be nice. I mean in ancient era missing a wonder by 1 turn can net you 70 turns worth of culture while missing a industrial era wonder barely gives you 1 turn worth of culture.
The risks are also different. You have to gamble the production of the only city (or a few of them at best) you have in ancient era, while having 8+ of them by Industrial.

Naturally the 70 turns is extreme, and mostly stems from there being extremely limited culture available early on, but the effect later on is unnoticeable.

I'm fine with scaling by era. Make a github post for me.

G

Doesn't Funak technically break the rule №2? Or it doesn't count because he has the high post count?

Doesn't Funak technically break the rule №2? Or it doesn't count because he has the high post count?

This is a thread about failing to build wonders, my suggestion was a change related to failing to building wonders, I really don't see how that would be misplaced.

On that subject, doesn't your post technically break the first rule? :D

I'm so confused.

Anyways...

The risks are also different. You have to gamble the production of the only city (or a few of them at best) you have in ancient era, while having 8+ of them by Industrial.

I think a very good description of the situation. Scaling is good for later, but I feel like something is still needed for earlier.

You seem to be pretty alone on this, maybe you should just drop it? :D

You've seen my posts, and so you know that when I've been shown to be clearly wrong or missed an important detail, I own up to it and admit it. On this matter - alone or not - I see no convincing reason to stand down. So long as something is messed up, I'll fight for a fix - and whether through observation or intuition, I know that something is not quite right here.

something is not quite right here.

he said maybe a mod-mod was coming heh, but remember hes out of town and probly swamped at the moment but thatd be your fix if you wont just fix it yourself? i edited max religion up to 5 on a "standard" map bc i thought when playing w 10 players and 20 cs on "standard" it should be 5. i dont need to convince the community to make max religion 5 for standard maps, i just fixed it.

mind you, i have no clue how to do any of that. i just made a thread asking for help and i got it =)

he said maybe a mod-mod was coming heh, but remember hes out of town and probly swamped at the moment but thatd be your fix if you wont just fix it yourself? i edited max religion up to 5 on a "standard" map bc i thought when playing w 10 players and 20 cs on "standard" it should be 5. i dont need to convince the community to make max religion 5 for standard maps, i just fixed it.

mind you, i have no clue how to do any of that. i just made a thread asking for help and i got it =)

I get your point and appreciate that. A "mod" tome though in this context is something that I'd consider to be of my particular preference which isn't integral to the game. When I say that something isn't quite right here, I mean that there is something integrally wrong, and that a separate mod is insufficient. I'm not suggesting that this must be instantaneous or that this is first priority - if someone is swamped, they're swamped; and if I can participate in helping in some way, sure - bit I didn't see this thread as being about that. I see it as being about the nature of the thing and that something isn't quite right, and ought to change. How it happens is another debate. :)

Top Bottom