On games you never believed the hype

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by OrsonM, Nov 22, 2011.

1. OrsonM

OrsonM Our man

Without further ado, here's my list of hyped up games that I never bought into their hype, and probably never will, and a special addendum about games I played for a solid 10 minutes and lost interest:

Games I'm currently not caring much about (but one day I might):

Minecraft: I know it's popular, I know people go crazy over a game that looks about 15 years too old (so you know it's must good), but can't find the interest to force myself to type "Minecraft" on google and see what it's about. For one I get the feeling I'll have to educate myself on micraftery for a long time before I get to play it right (reading guides, downloading this mod, but not that one, gotta do a clean reinstall now, join the minecraft forums, etc). Life is too short even to do a minor inquiry.

Skyrim: I hated seeing the "Play Now My Lord" ads that eventually forced everyone to get adblocker, Skyrim is reaching Evony-like status as of late.

Rage: ID is just not making good games anymore, they are very pretty to look at though.

Assasins Creed: it sounds too silly.

Arkham whatever
    : does Batman need a hug as of late?, sad and gloomy Batman needs to die really badly, but it won't happen unless we stop buying Batman related stuff, so it's more of a political Batman statement there.

Modern Warfare: but I'm already playing the much superior Team Fortress 2! for free!

World of Warcraft: 15 dollars a month is too rich for my pocket. In other news, I'm 15 dollar richer every month because of this. All MMOS should be FTP, anything else is just greedy.

Games I played for a solid 10 minutes and lost interest:

Company of Heroes:

Fallout 1 : I actually played this after playing Arcanum, and for one reason or another I just never got into it. Arcanum is awesome btw.

Alpha Centauri
    : I got frustrated with the little astronaut.

Red Alert 3: I had some good memories from Red Alert 2, and this one just felt like it pandered more to demographics and market studies, etc.

Again, these are probably awesome games, and I'm probably missing out. But I missed out a lot of NES games back in my day, and here I am.

Anyways, anyone not buying into the hype of any other game?

2. Skwink

Skwink FRIIIIIIIIIITZ

Anything Call of Duty.

I may get stoned for this, but I didn't love Portal. I'm also to lazy to enjoy any Paradox games.

3. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

Minecraft is great if you're nostalgic for old games. :)

Anyway, I'd say the same as you about Skyrim (seems to be too flashy on the graphics), and any Batman game. Apparently, I can get Arkham City for free since I bought a nvidia video card, but I'm not going to download it (I think it's downloadable only). And I also agree that any game that needs $10-$15+ a month just to play it isn't worth the hype.

Also, any FPS type game. Maybe it's because I got bored quickly of some FPS back in the 90s, which I know are dated, but once you clear a level, you pretty much know where everything is, and what's going to pop out when you turn the next corner.

4. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Disagree about Alpha Centauri. I still think it's an excellent game even today.

In my personal opinion, I think Diablo III is getting a lot of hype and won't be able to live up to it. I think it will merely be a good game after being hyped for years and years. Could be totally wrong of course when the game finally gets released.

5. Tykinruoka

Tykinruoka Unlimited power

I didn't think of a list of my own, so I did comment on yours, since some we're ones I would had mentioned too.

I don't buy into the hype very easily and past the hype if the game really is good I eventually get it 1-2 years later from the bargain bin. Most of my friends get a hyped game as soon as it's out and go on and on about how I should get it too since it's so awesome(and then we could talk about it together how awesome it is). I'm not really interested in that. I have enough unfinished games as it is(and many that have great replay value).
    I really didn't know the game even existed until I saw my friend playing it all the time and it looked like a good time sink for the boring days so I bought it. I didn't bother too much about mods, I just started playing it. The wiki was everything I needed for crafting help.
    The hype on this one really annoys me, it was and is everywhere. I'm not totally ignorant, if there are so many people saying it's good.. it's probably good, but I have time to wait it to get cheaper.
    I agree with you on this one. Also there's so many post-nuclear-whatever games out there that I'm really getting sick of the theme already.
    I've heard some are good games, but not interested.
    Asylum was a fun game when I actually got into it, but I didn't buy it myself. Got it as a steam gift. I'm not that interested in the Arkham city, since it sounds like the same game with a bigger environment.
    I got tired of MP-FPS games when CS(not source) was the hot thing out there.
    I played it for a couple of years(did the whole hardcore raiding thing) and I can say that it was waste of time and money. There's huge amount of hype around the expansions every time, but the expansions don't really add anything to this game after all. It's the same grind all over again.
    I never played Arcanum. Fallout 1 was "meh". I played it through once, but always found F2 to be superior(which I played first).
    I bought it now from GOG, so better late than never. It really is a good game, but not for everyone.
    I never understood the appeal of C&C games, I tried the first one and never touched any of the games in the series since.

Will they never end?

6. Ruler

Ruler Prince

I never fall into those, Im very strict with money. Never had issues to wait 6 month and buy the game for dirty cheap.

7. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

All I can say is that tastes vary. Company of Heroes is one of my all time favorite games. Only it's final expansion pack deserves to be called "hype" IMHO.

MMOs vary quite a bit in quality and content too. I agree that WoW doesn't hold interest for long. I lost interest after 3 months, but I've recently picked up some other MMOs that are fine. I prefer the free-2-play model in MMOs but if there is great loads of fun gameplay and content, then I don't feel that $15 a month is over-priced, generally. That's somewhat typical with the value one gets from a $50 game purchase.

8. Skwink

Skwink FRIIIIIIIIIITZ

On the C&C games, I never liked the stories and all. They were really stupid, especially in the Red Alert series. I do realize that they're supposed to be that way though.

9. JtheJackal

JtheJackal Emperor

Pfft its not like your cool enough to hate games no one plays at all.

10. Rub'Rum

Rub'Rum Hates acronyms

Something is really annoying about the OP. I don't know exactly what it is but it's irksome. Personally, I very rarely buy games new and "buy into the hype", I will EVENTUALLY try almost every game that was praised. Of course, praised by other gamers (not review websites), after release, and not before. I buy a LOT of games, and I'm happy when a game gets praised and I can finally get excited when I finally get to play it (often when it's on special) and not be jaded anymore. It's like some people are proud of being Spocks and not getting excited, then look down on people with emotions. "lol look at these people being excited, now look at me being so stoic". Wow congrats.

11. Kyriakos

Kyriakos The Eternal

Populous III is definitely there. A massive failure.

12. Methos

Methos HoF Quattromaster Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

I really enjoy the Portal games, but once I beat the level I have very little desire to play it again.

13. croxis

croxis Chat room op

Part of the issue is that players overhype their own game before release. Yes there are game companies that do promise a lot and fail to deliver, but the opposite situation is true in that a few screenshots and standard press releases and suddenly the community's "wouldn't it be cool if" turn into "OMG THIS GAME WILL HAVE THIS" despite no evidence for it. SPORE was *partly* victim of this.

As others have mentioned there is a difference between hype, expectations, and interest. I lack interest in a number of games but that does not mean the hype or expectations around it are any more or less valid. To me the OP reads as a list of games that s/he just wasn't interested in.

14. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Super Moderator Supporter

It's about being reasonable, not about being stoic.
    I also love if a new game gets a good start.
    But there are people who're overdoing it, and that's so annoying that it might take away the fun. There's the point when you say "There's no reason to be *that* excited, stop being silly, you don't know anything", that's the problem with the hype.
    (sure only applies pre-release)

Try it again.
    If the scenario itself is not the problem, you really should.
    The beginning might be a bit slow (and today ulgy; there's a high resolution patch), but afterwards it's an awesome game.
    (maybe i also have rose-colored glasses, no idea)

Edit: I'm also a "stoic" here, i never really go with the hypes (partially due to the fact that i never buy games on the release date [again due to money and old computer]).
    Turned out in most cases very good, because i always had good surprises. Were never really disappointed. Besides Black & White :( (and no, didn't buy any of the here often mentioned failures).

15. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

EDIT: @The_J, I'm not sure stoic means what you think it means.

Minecraft: You don't need to download mods (at most a texturepack, and even then many people just stick with the default graphics) or join any forums for Minecraft, the Minecraft wiki is very easy to use and highly informative and there are plenty of people here who would be willing to answer your questions. Seems like your problem here is mostly smug laziness.

The only hard part about minecraft is finding a good and stable multiplayer server that has a good owner, mods and players. And you don't need multiplayer to enjoy the game. AssCreed: Good games, but designed for console and kind of repetitive, I've had a hard time getting into them too.

Batman games: I haven't played them yet but I've heard enough from reputable sources to know they are good, fun games. Although if you don't like Batman you probably wouldn't like them. Alpha Centauri: What the hell are you even talking about? I don't think that is a legitimate complaint.

Company of Heroes: I recognize that it is a great game, but I'm not a fan of this kind of RTS either (same with Starcraft, AoE2 etc).

RAGE: Pretty much.

WoW: $15 a month if you are actually playing it really isn't a bad deal, not all games should be F2P (especially since they try and nickel and dime you even more and aren't truly free). Although I don't like subscriptions either and am not a fan of MMOs in general (although Guild Wars 2 is looking pretty awesome, and no subscription).

Skyrim: Has nothing to do with evony, it is extremely popular for a reason, because (despite some flaws) the game is still pretty bloody awesome and there still isn't much else like it.

I don't like hype either, but I try to base my opinions off games after either actually playing long enough them or watching gameplay videos.

16. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

For Left 4 Dead 1 & 2 that's completely untrue.

17. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

Well, you do know it will always be zombies and they are still inear, but the AI director does a great job of randomizing the direction and amount of zombies in the hordes, plus the special zombies and especially in versus mode it can keep you on your toes.

:confused: I know you only just got a computer capable of playing games made this decade, but lolwut? Skyrim improved the graphics of Oblivion (as it should, since Oblivion came out in 2006) but they aren't like a huge leap.

I'll take it. No use in wasting a free game.

Any linear game (not just FPS games) are like that. Some are still good games (like Metro 2033, many RPG/Adventure titles) and worth getting, though that is probably why multiplayer FPS games are so popular (also making an open world game is more work).

Eh? No idea about the hype since I didn't know about it until I picked it up in a jewel case at Walmart several years ago, but it seemed like a decent game considering it is from the late 1990s.

18. Ruler

Ruler Prince

Who says they're players, lets say you work for a game company so assumably you read forums, so time to time you post about your games.

I make almost only expectation with MMOs, like Rift recently, it had amazing launch, events/rifts/zones/dungeon were full of player so worth the money, like right now Im thinking to get Mafia 2 or Witcher 2 when I find them cheap somewhere. Its same game whether you buy it now or 1 year later.

19. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

I really hope Skyrim's success gets more developers into doing TES-like games, we need MOAR of them so that Bethesda has some competition and can't get lazy. right now they can do pretty much anything they want since there's simply nothing quite like TES. also waiting five years for each new fix is not cool :lol:

20. Kyriakos

Kyriakos The Eternal

The thing is that Populous II was one of the greatest (and best selling) strategy games of old, a true classic, and III was marketed as the next big strategy game. It got mixed reviews and was nothing special though it would seem. If it was a new brand i would have had the same view, that it is an average game, but expectations were too high for that one ;)