1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

On indentured servants and criminals...

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Age of Discovery II' started by Wheldrake, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Flash1

Flash1 Chieftain

Also, It seems that the typical indentured servant signed to a labor agreement of three to seven years.

It also seems to be a way of apprenticeship in some cases. ex. if you worked for a blacksmith, you were expected to learn how to be a blacksmith as well. So, it seems you were expected to learn a skill that would be beneficial to the colony.

2. Akrux

Akrux Chieftain

Actually I find it better on independence to take the +50% to food, hammers and other output. The extra food quickly makes more colonists that can be quickly trained in universities to become veteran soldiers. They arrive steadily on the battlefield just as the REF is starting to hurt your regular troops. The 50% extra hammers help in making cannons or ships.

Yes it is called slavery but I think of it as the patriots working extra hard towards their independence. The troops come from the establishment of boot camps. This is not the US Civil War but the the War of Independence. Remember the actual choice was slavery in 1776.

3. Dale

Dale Chieftain

BTW just so you guys are aware, I've randomised the length of time IS and PC are in service. That should go a long way to helping with these guys.

I still strongly believe they should be useless for a period of time, but at the end of their service become a normal colonist. :)

4. Flash1

Flash1 Chieftain

Dale,

I'm curious, Is it even possible to assign an IS to a carpenter's shop or Blacksmith shop, ect. in order to apprentise them? sort of like a free colonist going to an indian tribe.

5. Aerion

Aerion Chieftain

You can assign them but they will be less productive than even an free colonist. After 40 weeks, they become a free colonist and sometime after that, they would gain the specialty.

6. Flash1

Flash1 Chieftain

Aerion,

I understand that, but a typical indenture was 3 to 7 years. So, in theory an IS could go from IS to blacksmith in 7 years.

7. Dale

Dale Chieftain

Flash1, whilst reality is a beautiful thing, it is a poor thing to add into a game. :)

I have addressed your concern by lessening how long the indenture is (between 20-40 turns) but I won't be reducing it to 3 years. That's 4 turns on normal, which is pointless in terms of the whole game. Keeping it to 20-40 makes the indenture a penalty, but not a permanent one.

8. Flash1

Flash1 Chieftain

Dale,

I'm not really bent out of shape over the issue. My concern is the length of time that happens during the longer playing times. So, unfortunatly, if you try to adjust some aspects of the game for the longer game settings that in turn may mess up a normal game.

9. PiMan

PiMan Chieftain

Servant and criminal times have been scaled. I can't remember which AoD patch did this, but I know Dale has mentioned it.

10. PrinzMyshkin

PrinzMyshkin Chieftain

1.07 20-40
    1.08 50-100
    1.09 50-100
    1.10 (20-40)?

That's what I recall... could be wrong.

11. PiMan

PiMan Chieftain

I could be wrong too. But I could have sworn.
    If it doesn't scale, it should. The difference between the longest game and the shortest game is huge.

12. PrinzMyshkin

PrinzMyshkin Chieftain

Sorry I was not clear. I was referring to normal game speed and AoDII versions.

13. PiMan

PiMan Chieftain

Good good. It was just kinda weird that it appeared to be a direct response to me, rather than the guy asking the question.

14. Dale

Dale Chieftain

It scales now (for 1.10). :p