On Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir's Oration

Originally posted by IceBlaZe
He must affect the UK, after all the economic ties between France and the UK are very tight, and any decision by Chirac affects those, therefor affecting the UK.
You need to think Globally - in such an economically tied area, like Europe, any decision by Chirac, a leader of a country Economically strong as (or even more than) the UK, affects the entire area, INCLUDING the UK.

Sorry, but you are discussing the opinions of the populace of the two countries; the opinion of the UK and France conerning the Jews, to be concise. I don't recall any economic discussion taking place within this thread.

Chirac does not represent all of France and certainly does not represent the United Kingdom or the rest of Europe.

Sorry, but you are discussing the opinions of the populace of the two countries

That is not what I was discusiing with you.

Chirac does not represent all of France and certainly does not represent the United Kingdom or the rest of Europe.

1. That's not what I meant.
2. He does represent France. In a democracy, the elected leader represents the country.

He does represent France. In a democracy, the elected leader represents the country.

In a representative democracy, the elected leader, elected by a majority, rules. The vote needn't be unanimous.

The UK is also a democracy. People in the UK don't vote in French elections and didn't vote for Chirac.

In a representative democracy, the elected leader, elected by a majority, rules. The vote needn't be unanimous.

The vote isn't unanimous, but it doesn't mean he doesn't represent the country.
Sharon represents Israel, including me, although I hate him and despise his opinions.

The UK is also a democracy. People in the UK don't vote in French elections and didn't vote for Chirac.
:lol:
True. But that's not what I meant ;)

The vote isn't unanimous, but it doesn't mean he doesn't represent the country. Sharon represents Israel, including me, although I hate him and despise his opinions.
But you realize then that the elected official don't speak for everybody. They might represent their country but they don't represent everybody's values and ideals. If it was the case, most Americans would be considered stupid right-wing christians.

Originally posted by phoenix_night

He doesn't represent the whole of France.

He represent France. A prime minister is as much a symbol of his country as a flag is. It doesn't mean that his views are those of all the French, but he's still representing his country.

Originally posted by G-Man
He represent France. A prime minister is as much a symbol of his country as a flag is. It doesn't mean that his views are those of all the French, but he's still representing his country.

Who are you talking to? I know I've not stated any different in this thread.

I said he doesn't represent the whole of France, and he doesn't. That's the point I made and it stands.

No elected leader represents all of his citizens views or ideals, and Chirac certainly doesn't represent the United Kingdom and its people.

So what?

Does Ariel Sharon represent the opinions of every person in the State of Israel?

Ariel Sharon represents Israel, it's Citizens as a whole and the country's policies.

Unfortunately.

Originally posted by phoenix_night

Who are you talking to? I know I've not stated any different in this thread.

I said he doesn't represent the whole of France, and he doesn't. That's the point I made and it stands.

No elected leader represents all of his citizens views or ideals, and Chirac certainly doesn't represent the United Kingdom and its people.

Just like last time when I agreed with you :D

Originally posted by CurtSibling
@G-Man:

So what?

So nothing.

Does Ariel Sharon represent the opinions of every person in the State of Israel?

I'm a person and IceBlaZe is a person, so it's quite obvious Sharon isn't representing every citizen in Israel.

Does he?

I'm a person and IceBlaZe is a person, so it's quite obvious Sharon isn't representing every citizen in Israel.

Even we evil Europeans can see that there are people in Israel that do not march lock-step with Sharon

It doesn't matter, he was elected democratically therefor he represents the nation as a whole.
Pluralism is only a matter for inside the country - not outside it.
Once there is an elected leader with a policy, the government must follow it - and the government represents the people.

So nothing.

Nothing = the worth of your arguments.

So the same goes for France and Europe.

You have thus, contradicted yourself.

Go home.

I disagree.

Even we evil Europeans can see that there are people in Israel that do not march lock-step with Sharon.

Your thinking is dangerously 'WW2 Europe'...:rolleyes:

"Represents" doesn't mean that everyone agrees with him. It just means that he's the one linking between the citizens of Israel and Israel's actions and decisions.

It doesn't matter, he was elected democratically therefor he represents the nation as a whole.
Pluralism is only a matter for inside the country - not outside it.
Once there is an elected leader with a policy, the government must follow it - and the government represents the people.

So if he starts a nuclear war with Pakistan, you are happy to shrug your shoulders and say: "Oh well, he is the leader!"

Please say this isn't so.

"Represents" doesn't mean that everyone agrees with him. It just means that he's the one linking between the citizens of Israel and Israel's actions and decisions.

Are you some kind of DL of Iceblaze?
Can't he answer his own posts?

Anyway, then I am glad you can see Chirac is not 'representative' of the French people, and Europe at large.

For otherwise, that is a laughable way to think.

Nothing = the worth of your arguments.

It wasn't an argument.

So the same goes for France and Europe.

You have thus, contradicted yourself.

Go home.

I see no contradiction.

It doesn't mean that his views are those of all the French

Top Bottom