1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

On no, that question AGAIN!!!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Shirastro, Feb 3, 2008.

?

Which type of question irritates you the most

Poll closed Mar 4, 2008.
  1. About spies

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  2. About corporations

3 vote(s)
    3.6%
  3. About specialization of cities, and use of GPs

3 vote(s)
    3.6%
  4. About favorite Civ/unit/trait/whatever

29 vote(s)
    34.9%
  5. Other (tell us wich one)

10 vote(s)
    12.0%
  6. I dont mind the any perma-repeated question

36 vote(s)
    43.4%
  1. Shirastro

Shirastro The ruler of the Gnomes

It appears to me that no matter how much one subject has been discussed, some same question keep pooping up almost daily, which needles to say can be quiet irritating.
    Now this isn't one of "Please use the damn search button" post, cause i never use it my self, i was just wondering which of the questions and posts irritate you the most, if any.

2. Ossian

Ossian Warlord

This is what the "Once and for all" topic is about, as for questions that annoy me, I try not to dwell on them, I quickly post a helpful reply and ignore it from then on. :coffee:

3. Shirastro

You replied while i was making my poll :)....now come back and vote :)

4. Der Schloss

Der Schloss Chieftain

I have asked questions because I hadn't used the proper existing wording for the search to return the pertinent comment. Other times I did and it had. When a pertinent comment is returned, I read it and subsequent ones. However, there may be a lot of venting and they go on and on. So rather than read 3-6 pages of comments, I started a new thread.
    Now this doesn't excuse the times when I had mental issues and 'misread' or 'misinterpreted' what was before me and started a new thread.
    Needless to say, threads of 5 pages are wa-a-ay too long and should be terminated with a reference to document. Therefore, a 'Thread Meister' is needed to make the first reply to an oft asked question contain a link to the appropriate document.

5. Shirastro

Well i have to disagree with you. This is a discussion board, not "we are here to answer you question" board, so if a thread gets 5-6 pages long, thats fine with me.

OFC this doesn't mean that none should ever ask about something they don't understand in the game, but some questions just keep popping up no matter how many times they have been discussed and answered.
    Sometimes i get the feeling that some people don't even try to figure it out by them self, but as soon as they run into something they don't understand they quickly run here and click the "new post" button without even looking at the posts on the first page (let alone use the search button)

6. AfterShafter

AfterShafter Deity

I think this one takes the cake.. A question about which questions annoy you? How bored are we here people?

Oh, and, the beauty of a message board is that you are never obligated to so much as read what you don't want to, let alone respond (IE - answer those questions you don't want to). So discuss away, and forget about what others do.

7. Refar

Refar Deity

Bored enought to post a reply here, apparently :p

Oh... i replied as well :blush: :cry:

:lol:

8. Julian Delphiki

Julian Delphiki Anton's key

Sometimes i answer to those repeating questions if i remember correct answer right away, but if i need to use search (often with same question typed to search would find out dozens of examples) i don't do it.

I'm most bored to "favorite xxxx?" / "best xxxx?" topics, but i understand that people and especially new players like those.

I've suggested and asked if it would be possible to have ignore thread-feature to hide those from view after first sight, but didn't really get an answer.

I'm bored to see how hard it's for people to help themselves and this is valid question. Faq's and search exist for a reason.

9. Bushface

Bushface Deity

If a thread grows to several pages, that usually means that there are many different opinions or suggestions, some of which may well be useful if the topic concerns the reader. Not every question can be answered by a simple and authoritative reply such as "read this article" or "use Bhruic's patch".

I have been disappointed with the search function, which for me produces vast lists of undated references including plenty which turn out to be from earlier editions of the Civ series. Moreover, as an example, searching for "spy" doesn't pick up "espionage", and vice versa; one has to know precisely what to search for, which is difficult when seeking advice on a subject of which your knowledge is less than perfect - if it was, then there would be no need for a search.

10. AfterShafter

AfterShafter Deity

Unlike most of the questions you're complaining about, the one you're posing doesn't actually have anything to do with the game this board is focused on. Which questions aren't the valid ones, again?...

But, there's that beauty of the message board again... If I don't want to post in pointless threads that aren't relevant to the game this board is based on at all, I don't have to ;)

*skidaddles*

11. Minor Annoyance

Minor Annoyance Deity

I'm tired of people asking if the A.I. cheats because they wins combat so often even with they have a very low percentage.

12. Julian Delphiki

Julian Delphiki Anton's key

What? What question are you referring to? I generally think it's stupid to ask same things again and again (applies to all forums), and i said that personally i find favorite xxxx least interesting of those topics selected on the poll.

"Don't have to" argument doesn't really fly with me as it's used as "just look away, doesn't bother me, why should it bother you?" kind of thing.

13. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Doesn't bother me usually, if it does I'll go and read something else
    Sides which we're all wonderful people who want to help others aren't we ;)

edit: But I do hate it when a q. about the game ends up as a political debate about global warming or was colonialisation bad for the natives mostly because I get suckered into replying to some ridiculous trolls provocative remarks

14. ICNP

ICNP The Third Superpower

The questions on "Why was I attacked?"
    Lets see...
    -You have 2 outdated units guarding each of your cities
    -All of the AI's share a religion that you fail to have.
    -You didn't grab any military techs/your wonderspamming

15. CHEESE!

CHEESE! On a long nostalgia trip

The times people post that they dont get GUR1 promotions to axemen with the dun! How many times has this come up???

16. Olleus

Olleus Deity

About Hitler. And in second place a draw between HRE and Polant

17. MrCynical

MrCynical Deity

The single question I'm most sick of answering is "Why aren't I getting the +1 food/hammer/commerce from resources that's listed in the city and trade screens".

For most frequently answered question, recently it seems to be "Why can't I found a corporation?" to which the answer is invariably State Property or Mercantilism without Bhruic's patch.

18. sydhe

sydhe King of Kongs

Is/Are ******** overpowered?

19. Hero

Hero NPC

I'll tell you what never gets old for me: people typing "pooping" instead of "popping".

Anyway, I said other, for the good old AP, although fewer questions about it lately.

20. Howard!

Howard! Remembering

So, I hear you are the anti-christ then...

You no what I hate most. People who make constantly repeated threads about the constantly repeated threads!