1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

on pantheons

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by craney1987, May 13, 2017.

1. The Highwayman

The Highwayman Warlord

Yes you always keep your Pantheon, at least from my experience.

2. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Yes, you keep it. I'm not sure what happens if the city gets conquered. Probably changes the pantheon.

3. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Yes, your cities always keep your pantheon throughout the game.

4. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

Generally speaking, I just check my capital and my likely next couple city sites, and choose whichever one seems to give the most benefit. Sometimes it's obvious - if I'm coastal with a lot of fish, then +1 prod from fishing boats. One game my capital had like 7 stone tiles in the city cross area, so that was a no-brainer for stone circles. If I look through and nothing looks overly powerful, then I just kind of pick one of the random generic ones (border growth, or divine spark, or something like that).

5. HyJinkx

HyJinkx Chieftain

Normally I take Divine spark as a catch all but in my latest game I have lot of quarries around so I took the +2 even though I don't have a religion just to spend it on GP and troops. So far it has worked out well but most times there just aren't enough to make good use of it.

6. Abraxis

Abraxis Emperor

Really? Initiation rights? I have only ever played Sumeria once so I have no idea, but I assumed God of the Forge would be top priority to get those donkeys out there teaching the world to take donkeys seriously. What can Sumeria do with faith?

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    craney1987 likes this.
  7. craney1987

craney1987 Warlord

this is my exact thought and why u created the thread... I thought I'd found it until I reread the description

8. DizzKneeLand33

DizzKneeLand33 Fall from Heaven 2 still rocks

If there isn't a major reason to pick something else (and especially if you're the Aztecs), I'd go for God of War -- you get faith for winning a battle within 8 tiles of *any* holy site (not just your own), and you can use your warmongering faith gained to help gain extra great people for even a Science or Culture victory. This can add up in the later eras when the faith gained continues to increase, as opposed to something where the +2 faith per turn never scales. (I play large map, Emperor to Immortal, 12/18/fractal/low sea level)

nzcamel likes this.
  9. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

I guess it depends on the level and map you are playing, on a Continents map on the lower levels you don't need many war carts to wipe out the AI, you use the faith to convert the other continent after you meet them. I did say "fun" not "most efficient" by the way :)

Abraxis likes this.
  10. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

The one that gives faith for every chop/harvest can be pretty solid as well. As mentioned, even if you don't use faith on religion, it can be very useful for rushing great people and saving your cash for buying troops or buildings.

11. Canadian Bluebeer

Canadian Bluebeer Prince

Divine Spark or Stone Circles depending.
    Production I always take (AI never seems to)
    Meeting House if I can

I try for those, although Stone Circles sometimes (AI never seems to take that)
    I've never seen it take Work Ethic yet. Meeting House, yes.
    The one for 30% off for costs is my enhancement or fallback if nothing good for B2.
    (makes it easier to fend off the waves of missionaries that get sent in later on)

I'm going to play with some of them (+1 prod for fishing boats is really nice on inland sea, since it stuffs a ton of resources along it.

bite likes this.
  12. isau

isau Deity

Speaking for the unmodded game, the only one I consider eyepopping is Dance of the Aurora if taken by Russia. That's a synergy that is IMO unmatched by any of the other choices.

Lady of Reeds can, in the right circumstances, be pretty amazing, but it's not very common.

For my personal play, I significantly modded the existing pantheons because I considered most of them very weak. The only ones I didn't mod were the extra faith adjacencies, Lady of Reeds (due to its occasional potential), and Divine Spark.

13. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Since everybody gets a pantheon, I don't see a need for them to be too good. They should not be on the civ ability level, but well below, just a little nice thing on top that you can choose yourself every game. I think that lots of the religious beliefs are not good enough however, since religion - in contrast to pantheon - needs an investment, so it should get you some great stuff in return. We agree that most pantheons are indeed weak though.

nzcamel likes this.
  14. isau

isau Deity

I have a different outlook on this. Because everyone gets one, I think they should have some impact. As is, there are 2 or 3 that are pretty good and the rest largely ignorable.

I agree that many of the Religious beliefs are disappointing. But I have less issue with this, since if they were too good, losing out on a religion would be very harmful to the player. I like that Religions are mostly optional. Everyone gets a Pantheon though, so making those pretty good doesn't force player's hands too much down a religion path to stay competitive.

Siptah likes this.
  15. Noble Zarkon

Well the culture producing ones can double your output with the right resources around your starting location which is pretty impactful.

nzcamel likes this.
  16. Eliminator_Sr

Eliminator_Sr Prince

I agree - I think they end up being pretty impactful if you choose them intelligently. The yields are minimal once you get your civ rolling but they are quite significant in the early game and can definitely help you gain a lasting advantage (especially god of the forge).

craney1987, Noble Zarkon and nzcamel like this.
  17. craney1987

craney1987 Warlord

it seems to me, now, that the underlying idea behind the pantheons is that they are there to help in the early game. That if you are looking for entire game effects you need to get yourself a religion

18. gfeier

gfeier King

How come we never had a Pantheon Elimination thread?

19. ShakaKhan

ShakaKhan King

I often don't try to found a religion in my game, so I don't go for any of the pantheons that deal with holy site adjacency. I also don't care for any of the ones that have bonuses that expire, especially as early as the medieval era; I'd rather one that gives a bonus the whole game. I really don't care for divine spark: bonus scientist points are pretty decent, but the prophet points only apply for a short period of time (although they can make the difference if you're trying to found a religion but, again, I'm usually not) and a bonus to writer points is a garbage bonus; if you're going culture you have plenty already and if you're not, you don't need them.

This leaves bonuses to (in my order of preference from least to most desirable) food/growth, border, faith, culture, and hammer. most of the pantheons that deal with these compound for the entire game. Bonus food is not that important in this version of civ, so I never choose the bonus food or fertility. Border growth (unless you're Russia) is a big deal in this game; they always expand to every 2nd tile first before expanding to any third tile, meaning that if you want things in the third ring you have to pay for it, and that gets expensive. I choose border growth if there's close to nothing for the rest of them. Bonus faith is pretty helpful even in games when you aren't building holy sites or founding a religion because the consequence of doing so is that you often have nearly 0 faith per turn, my last Kongo game had 2 faith per turn when I was generating 700 gold per turn. Being able to rush great people is powerful, and while that can be done with gold, it's good to have multiple sources to draw from. Better than faith, though, is culture, and I'll often go for open sky or oral tradition if I see that a lot of nearby cities will benefit from it. The chief resource in the game, though, is production, and there's quite a few pantheons that deal with it, but they are all very situational. Reeds/Marshes is tricky because it will apply heavily to very few cities. God/Sea is quite underrated because those seafood resource tiles give a really healthy chunk of gold, and i think some people may be undervaluing how useful that can be because it comes at the high price of being instead of a hammer tile, but this pantheon lets you have your cake and eat it too. cities that have multiple seafood resources as well as decently productive lands become real powerhouses with this pantheon. Craftsmen is a complete crap-shoot because at the time that you are picking a pantheon, none of the strategic resources that use mines have been discovered yet.

So I choose a production pantheon always if there are enough tiles that it will affect, even if those tiles aren't in the capital. If not, I'll choose a culture pantheon if there's enough of those resources, then faith. And if the map doesn't give enough of any of those categories of resources, I'll default to border expansion.

Noble Zarkon likes this.
  20. GIDS888

GIDS888 King

God of Craftsmen or God of the Sea for me. Get those gear-cogs in matey!