1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

On razing cities.....

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Sweetchuck, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Sweetchuck

Sweetchuck King

Something I'm wondering. Sometimes I'll take over a city with 6 or so citizens. When I raze it, I'll get - maybe 4 slaves. Most of the time. Sometimes I'll raze a city with 6 or so citizens and get no slaves.

I also note that the last time this happened to me, it was the second city I popped in the same turn. Could that be the issue? Or, this particular city may have been taken over by the current occupying country - maybe that's it.

Bummer when I'm all set for more free labor and - nothing.

2. rysingsun

rysingsun King

Seems random for me. Usually I get half the pop rounded down. Occasionally I get none at all. C3C. I have no explanation and have seen no pattern to it.

3. dirtworm

dirtworm Warlord

there probally is some random number somewhere in the calculation for that. i never remember getting slaves ever from razing a city though ?weird? like raze it after its yours, you have occupied it, or running over the city in fast conquest?

4. Bartleby

Bartleby Remembers laughter

If you get more than half the population of the city, it's because there were workers/settlers inside.
    It is a bummer if you get none, though.

5. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

You always get any workers hiding inside the city. As to converting the city's pop to slaves, AFAIK, there's some chance that you'll get slaves by razing the city. I don't know what the % is, but if you do get slaves, you get 1/2 of the city's pop, rounded down. If not, then not. But (again, AFAIK) this only works if you raze when you get the "Raze or Install a New Governor" popup. If you elect to install a new governor, then abandon the city later in the turn, you don't get slaves.

On a side note, when I abandon a resisting city, I'm always amused by the fact that "The resistance at X has ended!" :lol: I'm sure it did . . .

6. TheOverseer714

TheOverseer714 Overseer

I have razed many enemy cities in my day, and the incidence of getting none seems to happen after razing many cities of the same civ. I've seen no other pattern that I can discern. Maybe some enterprising warmonger could play a few games where they raze all cities of a civ before going after the next and take note of when they get none.

7. Bartleby

Bartleby Remembers laughter

I'm playing a Huge Deity game currently which I plan to win by Histograph; I'll be razing anything without a useful wonder, so I'll keep an eye out for that. :)