On the Cherokee Civilization

Status
Not open for further replies.

InsanelyApple

Prince
Hello, everyone. A fair amount of people are saying the Cherokee deserve to be a civ (if the Sioux don't get in.) However, I have not seen one person who seems to know a lot about the Cherokee (I even saw one person suggest Sequoya as the leader of the Cherokee ...) I am not a historian, but I have lived in the capital of Cherokee Nation for more than ten years, so I know a bit more than the average Joe.

This will be broken down into five categories. A good leader, a capital, a unique ability, building and unit.

(Moderators, if you feel this would be a better thread elsewhere or just a post in another thread. Feel free to move it. You won't hurt my feelings.)

Leader:
I bet a fair amount of you have played Civ4: Colonization. The Cherokee's leader in that game was Oconostota. My guess for why he was chosen was because he was a leader appropriate for that period (colonization and the American Revolution). However, very little Cherokee know him nor is he regarded as a great leader. The best choice for a Cherokee leader would be Guwisguwi (better known as John Ross).

John Ross was the Chief of the Cherokee from 1828-1866. He was the chief through the Trail of Tears and American Civil War. (Which gives him bonus points because of the Civil War scenario in BNW.) He fought for the Cherokee's right to stay in the East by going to court to say the Indian Removal Act violated several treaties. He may of won had it not been for Andrew Jackson's determination (Jackson is still loathed by many Cherokee today) and Skahtlelohskee (aka John Ridge) signing the Treaty of New Echota, which ceded the Eastern Cherokee land. (Ridge had no right to sign it and Ridge was assassinated for it.)

During the Civil War, John Ross tried to convince the Cherokee to stick with the Union, but, probably still bitter from the Trail of Tears, the tribe joined the Confederacy. Ross spent the rest of the war at Washington trying to argue for mercy for the Cherokee (since the tribe was split on the decision of which side to fight for).

TL;DR: John Ross would be the best Cherokee leader for his fame among the Cherokee and how he led the Cherokee through the Civil War and Trail of Tears.

Capital:
The capital depends on which time period they want to represent. Echota: The American Revolution. New Echota: Until the Trail of Tears. Tahlequah: Since the Trail of Tears.

Unique Ability:
The Cherokee is one of the Five Civilized Tribes (FCT). The FCT was a name given to the Cherokee, Chickasaw, Choctaw, Creek and Seminole for quickly adopting American cultures and for having good relations with the Americans.

Sequoya was a silversmith and had to regularly deal with Americans. He developed a written language for the Cherokee when he was impressed with the Americans and their "talking leaves".

So there are two possible themes for a UA. The first idea ties into BNW. It would be something about how quickly the Cherokee integrated another culture into their own without losing their own distinct culture. So maybe "every X turns most foreign culture in Cherokee cities is removed". Think something along the Maya by every X turns. Since I have not played BNW, I do not know whether or not this is overpowered or underpowered.

The second idea comes from Sequoya and his talking leaves. Something along the lines of "Discover technologies of civilizations 50% faster that have a culture influence in your cities".

TL;DR: The Cherokee would either remove foreign culture influence every X turns by integrating it into their own or they would discover technologies faster if a more technologically advanced civ had a culture influence in Cherokee cities.

Unique Building:

I think there is two ideas. The first one would be based on a sport the Cherokee played called Stickball (this is where lacrosse originated from). While not exclusively played by the Cherokee, it is popular among Cherokee who want to play a traditional game. This game was also used to settle tribal disputes without having to result to war and was used for religious purposes as well.

So a "Stickball Court" could replace the Colosseum. It could provide +2 happiness any of the following: culture, faith, and unit experience.

The other possibility is the "Eternal Flame". According to legend, it was around since before the European colonists and never burnt out. In front of the Cherokee Nation hq, there is a flame burning that claims to be using the same fire as the original Eternal Flame. It could replace the Shrine and provide Faith and Culture/Tourism.

TL;DR: A Stickball Court replaces the Colosseum. It would provide happiness and culture/faith/experience. Or the Eternal Flame which would replace the Shrine and provide faith and culture/tourism.

Unique Unit:

I can't really suggest anything because we saw the Tomahawk unit and people think it is the Native American unit. So my guess is it replaces the swordsman and I wouldn't know what it would do.

I can't see a Tomahawk UU replacing the swordsman... Surely they would look to differentiate the a bit more from the Iroquois

I agree with everything else in there though, except the premise of a Cherokee civilization. I hope we get someone a little less known.

I think that instead of opening up to Cultural influence from other civs that the Cherokee should get bonus science when trading with civs that have more technologies. You already get some science from this, and the bonus science would yield a quick catch-up.

This would reflect both the quick adaptation and generally friendly exchange between Americans and the Cherokee.

The other possibility is the "Eternal Flame". According to legend, it was around since before the European colonists and never burnt out. In front of the Cherokee Nation hq, there is a flame burning that claims to be using the same fire as the original Eternal Flame. It could replace the Shrine and provide Faith and Culture/Tourism.

A Shrine replacement that provides Faith and Culture would be too similar to the Stele (although I think that might be a Monument replacement). And I'm pretty sure that Tourism doesn't show up until later in the game.

Moderator Action: Same thing applies here like for the last "this civ has to be in" threads: No more of these threads please. We could fill the whole forum with them, so no new threads anymore (old ones are allowed to stay).
Therefore: Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom