1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

On the Importance of the United Kingdom

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Pillager, Mar 24, 2003.

1. ellie

ellie Emperor

Hehe indeed curt ;p

Ellie

2. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

As do Japan and France.
    It depends.
    If it's about projection, yes it's the first in Europe.
    If it's about defense, it's then third.
    A bit more than "1 or 2 others" about military.
    Don't forgot the incredible manpower of some countries, even if they don't have the technological edge. Russia, China and USA are the most powerful military powers. India has enormous potential manpower that would make it about impossible to invade, but I don't think it can threaten anything but its immediate neighbours.
    France and Germany are either a bit below, either on par, either a bit above depending on the situation.
    Let's say UK is in the top 10 of the world, and in the top 5 depending on the situation.
    But certainly not second or third.
    No.
    Up to half of the XIXth century, French was the lingua franca (guess what is the origin of the expression "linga franca" :p).
    Then, there was no clearly "winning" language until after the WW2 (science was mainly in German, mail was mainly in French - did you know that whatever the country you write a mail and whatever the destination is, if the address is written in french, it will be processed and delivered ? - and many parts were in english).
    It's only after WW2 and when USA became so powerful that english imposed itself.

3. ellie

ellie Emperor

@akka

we are an island, we dont need as much home defence ;-)

4. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

We aren't a island, we don't need as much force projection ;)

5. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff Supporter

Please overlook the 'wonderfluff' line...A stressful day for all yesterday.

Let's all move forward from this silly infighting!

*raises glass*

:goodjob:

6. WonderStuFF

WonderStuFF Chieftain

Akka,
    I was responding to Portuguese's assumption that US influence
    was the reason behind the spread of the English language.Which is clearly not the case.
    WS~

7. WonderStuFF

WonderStuFF Chieftain

*Clink*

8. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

And I was answering to your rebuttal, confirming that USA influence IS in fact the reason behind the spread of the English language.

9. WonderStuFF

WonderStuFF Chieftain

The spread of the English language has more to do with the old empire covering more than a quarter of the globe.
    What language is taught in your schools and colleges.?
    American or English?
    Hmm what is the second language studied by the vast majority of students across the world...with our spelling intact.
    The Language of the air etc etc.
    I could go on but it will be in vain.....
    WS~

10. col

col Old Fart Retired Moderator

Anyone mentioned the UN security council yet - I havent the time to trawl through all of this thread ....

And the UK is still a force to be reckoned with in Science. Cambridge University has won more Nobel prizes than the rest of Europe put together....

11. WonderStuFF

WonderStuFF Chieftain

God i'm tired.....
    Good luck and good health to everyone who has posted here...
    Regards....WS~

12. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

Care to support your claim ?
    Yup it will be in vain.
    It's not Canada that made the english so important for trade.
    Nor India.
    Nor Australia.
    English dominates because of USA, and thinking it's because the old colonial empire is just pure dellusion.

13. ellie

ellie Emperor

hehe well the usa is but our overgrown offspring ;p

Ellie

14. Cecasander

Cecasander King

The United Kingdom was a superpower.... 150 years ago :D

Now it's just the 52th state of the US.
    America's hand in Europe.
    With people who think how good and powerfull they were
    centuries ago, and people who think how good and powerfull
    the USA is today...

15. PantheraTigris2

PantheraTigris2 Deity

Well, to be quite honest, I feel the primary origins of the American genetic makeup are of perhaps the greatest stock available from anywhere on Earth. Take that for what you will. But also keep in mind, that even in those days, hundreds of years ago, there were many others as well that made up the colonies. And naturally, in more recent times we have truly become a massive multi-cultural melting pot.

As far as the perspective that I see, regarding the American view of Britain, that is primarily one of realizing that indeed it is true; we are in a sense, something along the lines of British "offspring".

However, (as far as we are concerned), that was a long time ago. But interestingly, when we look out into the international community (something most Americans never care to do, unfortunately), we quickly identify more with the U.K. than any other country. Granted, this does not speak for everyone, including myself, I suppose - having no English blood whatsoever.

It's great to see that we have such an ally as Britain with us, in this most recent political situation. Apparently, the rest of the world is becoming more and more defensive to America's "prowess". I can understand their point of view, and I believe they perceive us as having "a finger in everyone else's pie", and naturally that draws resentment. I'll never say the U.S. gov't "plays fair" when it comes to foreign policy. Being some of the finest capitalists in the world, you shouldn't expect them to.

And let me say, if everyone in the U.K. likes the U.S.A. as much as Blair does, that is fatastic! ;)

"Britain has come to be nothing but America's lap dog". Seems like I hear that quite a bit - mainly coming from Britons themselves. I suppose it is understandable to be going through withdrawals, all things considered. But, power shifts from generation to generation. Nothing ever stays the same. The only constant is change.

Maybe someday, China will rule the world with an iron fist of honor and discipline! Looking forward to it! :goodjob:
    :confused:

16. MrPresident

MrPresident Anglo-Saxon Liberal

I hate a comment like this. You may think that the UK does what the US says with regards to foreign policy but domestic politics is very different from that of the United States. We have a national health service which would be unthinkable in the US. We have a nationalised-ish rail network, again unthinkable in America. We have a monarchy, no President, a powerful central government, Parliamentary democracy, titles, and so on. I just wish that if people have something to do about our foreign policy then say it. Don't hide behind snide comments which have no basis in fact. And finally, given the choice between being a state of a United Europe and a state of the United States I would choose America.
    Technically we're not an island since Northern Ireland and Gibraltar are British.
    What the hell is the expression "linga franca"? I have never heard it before in my entire life.
    [MrPresident salutes the flag]
    I thought you considered yourself European? :hmm: :p

17. CurtSibling

As I always say...

Todays Rome is tomorrow's Amsterdam...

:)

18. CurtSibling

Good man.
    I have decided that this petty infighting is below we Brits.
    I have said my piece, I now declare peace.

A Brit, A Scot, A European.
    All the same to me, depends where you are at the time.

Let's put our rumble yesterday aside and move on.

19. smalltalk

smalltalk monkey business

The term lingua franca sounds very Latin in my ears. And perhaps the actual language would have done too.

Latin had been the lingua franca for all priests, scholars, philosopher and scientists at least up to the days of reformation.

20. MrPresident

MrPresident Anglo-Saxon Liberal

It takes two to declare peace. One to declare it, the other to win it.
    Yeah, we Brits never fight amongst ourselves. :rolleyes: