1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

On the Importance of the United Kingdom

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Pillager, Mar 24, 2003.

1. anarchywrksbest

anarchywrksbest Deity

As it should be :evil:

You mean that horrible generic accent that all Brits on American TV have, yet nobody over here actually has? :rolleyes:
    I am British but i bet you couldn't understand a bloody word I say :lol:

bah :p

amen ;)

2. Ancient Grudge

Ancient Grudge Its all in this life

totally agree with you their bloody accents really really annoy me.......... :mad:

3. Oruc

Oruc Reactionary

has anyone heard someone speak like that except on american television

4. Ashoka

Ashoka Reluctant Warrior

Hmm - I was talking about Derick Jacobi -

Come to think of it, just about anybody in the BBC production of "I, Claudius"

(best DVD purchase I ever made)

Probably why I associate the accent w/ 'patrician'

NOT the accents like in "The Full Monty", tho. I needed subtitles for that foreign language film.

Also - why is it so easy for me to understand British pop stars when they sing, but then when they talk I don't know what the h@ll they are saying??

Ashoka

5. Ancient Grudge

tally ho old chaps.............

you listen to britsih pop music? why ohh why? ughhh

maybe you should come to where i live then you would see that no-one i know speaks like that.

6. MrPresident

MrPresident Anglo-Saxon Liberal

Everyone sings American.
    I hope they aren't flying it upside down.
    The UN Security Council.

7. Hamlet

Hamlet Manic Depressive

It all depends on how you define international power and influence. The UK is, under any assesment, fairly well placed in both of those terms, but I'd stop well short of saying it was the second most powerful state on the planet. That distinction is hugely arguable.

I don't really accept either of the two arguments that have been espoused in this thread. The answer lies somewhere between them, I think.

Oh, and I thought The EU was supposed to be a vehicle for German domination? So said Mrs Thatcher. I suppose France must be the most popular choice for braindead Eurospectic arguments now.

8. ellie

ellie Emperor

You disagree that france and germany run the eu as they see fit?

9. phoenix_night

phoenix_night Deity

now that is very true.

i don't know much about this topic, but i'm sure portugal did have quite an empire at one point and was rather powerful.

are people from northern ireland technically british? i mean, geographically it is obviously the case; geographically people from the republic of ireland are also british. but what about politically?

10. Hamlet

Hamlet Manic Depressive

Well, I didn't say that; I said I thought conspiracy theories that The EU was some grandiose French/German plot is rubbish, as most conspiracy theories are, but yes, I do. They have no power to run The EU as they see fit. Half of EU sceptical arguments I see are like this; they rely on emotion, and letting your brain relax to a large extent.

They are obviously highly important to it's running, because they're the two most generally enthusiastic, and certainly two of the three most developed states within The EU, so I don't see how it would come as any great shock that they do act in something of a directional role. But they certainly don't dictate to the other countries. They couldn't, even if they wanted to.

11. phoenix_night

phoenix_night Deity

hopefully not much longer.

12. Hamlet

Hamlet Manic Depressive

Portugal owned Brazil, and many other smaller outposts around the world, such as Goa in India. Portugal was really quite powerful during the early stages of European exploration of The New World.

Together with Spain, they were one of the first, and most prolific of European nations in this regard.

Depends on whether you listen to Ian Paisley or Gerry Addams.

13. ellie

ellie Emperor

Yet they have ignored eu laws and not been punished.

Just a couple of queries, could do a huge list of things that show britains deal in europe to be pretty raw

Why does the uk pay so much more than france to the eu (we are 2nd highest contributors) when french economy is said to be above ours by many?'

Why is the spanish fishing industry subsidised when our fishermen are restricted?

Ellie

14. Hamlet

Hamlet Manic Depressive

Every country in The EU has ignored EU laws and not being punished, or have got away with a slapped wrist. Every country (Or there abouts.) in The EU has ignored EU laws and has being brought to account. You will get that under any system that has a weak centre, like The EU.

This is another load of tabloid-esque crock; that all continental countries ignore EU law, whilst The UK is a whiter than white member.

That's wrong, and I don't know where you got it from. We pay 11 billion Euros annually, and France pays 14 billion. Germany pays even more at 21 billion.

Unless you're talking about net contributions.

I don't know how The Spanish fishing industry is subsidised. Tell me more.

15. Oruc

Oruc Reactionary

i know portugual had an empire but when he said they owned all off africa and asia he was totally wrong

they owned the coast of Angola and the Coast Mozambique in Africa

and in Asia they owned some of India and Malaysia not all of Asia

16. anarchywrksbest

anarchywrksbest Deity

Politically Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingodom. Therefore.....BRITISH :p

A word of advice, don't call people from the Republic British ;) They won't like it :p

17. ellie

ellie Emperor

@Hamlet, im talking about net contributions

Ill answer your other points later babe but now i have to go feed my little kid (my daughter) and my big kid (my husband)

Ellie

18. phoenix_night

phoenix_night Deity

it's politically part of the united kingdom, but not politically part of great britain. remember, it's the united kingdom of great britain (wales, scotland, england) and northern ireland. you see how mainland britain is not one with northern ireland. the united kingdom consists of great britain - the three mainland countries, and also northen ireland. so technically, i don't think the northern irish are british, but since the country is geographically part of britain (though not politically, just part of the uk there)- it's okay.

i'm not stupid ;)

19. gael

gael Ard Ri

I think you got it back to front there phoenix_night. N.I is polically British but not geographically. Ireland its self is not part of Britian.

The origins of the name Britian come from the Roman Britiannia. Scotland would be Caladionia, and Ireland would be Hibernia.

The British isles was a term that was applied much latter and was meant as a political term. Geographically it makes no sense.

20. Ancient Grudge

so unpatirotic.................