On the Shore of Crossbay: A FFHII Story

ElMikkino

Warlord
Inspired by FFHII's overall feel, and what I am pretty sure is a pretty unique thing (or who knows, maybe its common!), I have decided to write a story about my latest FFHII game, where I play as Falamar of the Lunan.

I am playing only on Warlord, as I normally play on Noble, almost ready to move up a level, but when I tried playing on Noble in my first FFHII game, I failed miserably...nevertheless, I tried another game, and this is that game, which makes this only my second FFHII game! :D Though I'm a newbie, that'll make the experience more fun, right?

Anyways, since I didn't think I wouldn't be writing a story about this game, I don't have shots of my starting position, or founding my city, or being really unlucky with a dungeon (but the units that came out "magically disappeared" after :mischief:). So, to start things off, here is a pic of my starting city, a bit into its development:

I changed its name to Crossbay because of the hills around it forming a cross, and of the small bay it rested on.

And the map of the known world:

You might notice that something looks weird about this map. If you look closely, you can see that me and the Amurites are separated from the rest of our continent! You can also see that to the west on this map are two groves, which I labelled quite clearly. The chokepoints to enter both may be important strategic positions later on. You may also notice an island near the northwest coast of the Grove of the Tower.

Because of these interesting conditions, I chose to write this story. So now, on with it!

Falamar sat on the shore of the Crossbay Beach. He looked out over the water, and watched the seagulls flying around in the orange light of dawn. He remembered just yesterday when his scouts had came back to Crossbay to tell him of their isolation, and of the island in the west. The sea would be very important in this life, he thought, if he wanted to have his empire reaching out over vast stretches of land. Though he and the rest of his people only knew how to build small wooden fishing boats, he was sure that in time, the seas would become paths of gold, with gigantic ships sailing everywhere.

He looked to his East, and saw that the sun had now fully risen. He got up from where he was sitting, and started back up the hill the Crossbay. He needed a nap, he hadn't slept all night, the report from the scouts had excited him so.

As he walked along the streets of Crossbay to his house, he realized how empty the town seemed to be now. The group of settlers had just left a few days ago, leaving a third of the town abandoned. But though they had gone, life in Crossbay was still prospering, and Falamar thought that the abandoned third would soon be filled up again.

He got to his house, the biggest one in Crossbay, and lay down on his bed. Thoughts of the sea and the adventures his people would have on it calmed him, and he slowly drifted off to sleep...

When Falamar woke next was to the sound of a rapping on his bedroom door. He looked out his bedroom window, and saw that the sun has risen in the sky, and it was now mid-morning. "Come in," Falamar said to the person knocking at his door.

Falamar's head advisor, Illian, then came rushing through the door, holding all manner of maps and charts. He skidded to a stop in front of Falamar's bed, and picked up a few stray charts that had fallen before addressing him.

"Your Fishiness, I have great news! The settlers that you had sent out a few days ago have arrived at their destination!"

At this, Falamar jumped, and ran to his bedside table, where Illian was laying down one of his maps. "There," Illian pointed. Illian's finger stretched to a place to the northwest of Crossbay, on the northern shore of their continent. A few crudely drawn buildings had been put on the spot that Illian was pointing to. "The settlers named the new city Innsmouth, after the old name of our own city. The town is now fully established, and ready to receive your orders, Your Shantyness," said Illian.

Falamar loved the spot that was picked by the settlers. Close to beautiful pearls, and more of their native pigs! Not very lovely animals, but very tasty, all the same! "Send congratulations to the town, and tell them to always remember the name Falamar!" he said.

"Of course, your Shipiness!" said Illian, and he ran off down the hallway, dropping more charts and maps along the way.

Falamar lay down on his bed again. He thought of how mighty his empire will soon be, and realized that a new era had now dawned on his people.
Spoiler :

________

So, what do you think? Love it? Hate it? Constructive criticism is much appreciated! New update coming very soon!

Next part!

About a week later, Falamar was busy painting a picture on the beach, of the calm sea. He had been working on this since the day he heard Innsmouth had been founded, and now his painting was almost done.

Suddenly, Illian came rushing down to the shore, holding a scroll. "Your Wavyness!" he said. "Grave news!".

He ran right up to Falamar, and Illian started panting. "Y...Yo...Your Wavyness, I came here as quickly as I could! Someone has been writing against us!".

Falamar was shocked. All of his subjects loved him, and he did them no harm! Who could be writing against him!?

"H...Here..." said Illian. Falamar unravelled the scroll, and inside it he found a list that had been written by someone named Thucydides. The top of the list said "The Most Powerful Civilizations of the World".

Falamar looked down at the list again, and he figured that he would be in the number 1 spot. But no! Thucydides had no idea who was #1, or numbers 2, 3, 4, 6, 7 and 8 were either! He only knew that Valledia of the Amurites was 5th, and Thucydides had even called her "Puny"!

"What kind of a list is this!?" said Falamar. "He doesn't even know who almost everyone is on this, but he feels obliged to say that I don't even exist!? Illian, send a spy or something to catch this man!".

"Right on it, Your Caviarness!" said Illian, and with that, he ran back up to Crossbay.

Falamar pocketed the scroll, and grimaced. His spies would find this Thucydides, they would...
Spoiler :

----------

Far off to the west, Falamar's scout guarded the hill. They had been there for a few months now, ever since the whole continent had been mapped, Falamar had had no use for them. Now though, they saw a herd of elephants meandering about the bottom of the hill. The scouts knew that this was the last known dangerous animal on the continent, after the brave Defenders of Crossbay had killed off the Griffins of Death. Luckily, elephants were peaceful creatures, and only attacked if provoked. The herd moved slowly on, as the Scouts watched, happy to break up their boredom after sitting on the top of this hill for so long...
Spoiler :

-----------

Falamar stood on Crossbay's new harbour a few weeks later. He himself had commissioned the building of this "Sea Haven", and the local fishermen loved him for it. A fisherman tossed Falamar a fish. "Thank you!" said Falamar, and he thought to himself that this would now be his favourite place in all the city.

Spoiler :

----------

On top of Scout Hill, the scouts still waited...and waited. They were growing more bored by the day, and were just yearning for some action. They would soon get it.

Later that day, a pillar of smoke was sighted from the trees to the North of them, and the scouts prepared for battle. Out of the trees came a screaming horde of goblins! The scouts were a bit scared, but they had faced worse situations than this before, and the lead scout ordered his men to charge.

The goblins and the scouts met head on. The goblins were better armed, with a shield and spear and armour, but the scouts were a lot smarter. Some of the goblins hadn't figured out which end of their spear was the sharp one; others thought their shields were fancy hats! Because of this, the scouts quickly cut them down, and sustained almost not a scratch. The scouts were happy that they won, and that Scout Hill was exciting again.

Spoiler :

-----------

About a week after the incident on Scout Hill, Falamar was sitting with his advisors, Illian and Skyrin, his military advisor.

"I just wish I could have been with those scouts!" said Skyrin. "I haven't had any action for YEARS!!".

"I'm sorry, Skyrin," said Falamar. "I didn't think the scouts would face any 'action'.".

Skyrin grunted, and Illian remembered something. "I forgot to tell you, sire," Illian said. "Our farmers have discovered ways of keeping the pigs roaming away. You just build a big fence around them, and they have nowhere to go! It will be a lot easier to get meat now!".

"Splendid!" said Falamar. "I always love a good leg of pork!".

Spurred on by this new topic, frivolous talking continued throughout the entire dining, and Falamar wondered what his people would come up with next...

Spoiler :

--------------

A few weeks later, Falamar found himself standing in the court of Valledia the Even. He had come to ask for a map of her lands, since he had received word that she had founded a new city.

"Your Highness," Falamar said. "It has come to my attention that you have founded a new city. May we trade maps again like we did on our first meet, so our squires could add the new info? You see, I also founded a new city since the last time we traded.".

Valledia thought for a bit, and then shook her head. "I'm sorry, Falamar, but my scouts have already mapped out your new city. I would have nothing to gain from trading maps. I suggest you send your resting scout to find my new city.".

Falamar was a bit dismayed. "I respect your decision, Your Highness," he said. "Farewell.".

Falamar walked out of her court, and told Illian to get a messenger to tell his scouts of their new job.

Spoiler :

-----------

Falamar's scouts cheered when the messenger came. Finally, a new adventure! They set off again, looking for Valledia's new city...

Spoiler :

Next update will come tomorrow night at the latest!

Pretty good so far. Kinda funny at some parts, especially the "Your Caviarness" part. I'm still chuckling at it.

Top Bottom