1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

On which difficulty will you start your first ciV game?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by zehcoutinho, Mar 5, 2010.

1. zehcoutinho

zehcoutinho Chieftain

Will you start playing at the same level as cIV? One level down? two?

I personnaly play cIV on Monarch. I was thinking about starting ciV two levels down, on Noble, wich is the "balanced" level.

Am I the only one who is already thinking about this? hehe

P.S.: I know that the difficulty levels may change, but for this I'm assuming the scale of cIV.

2. Schalke 04

Schalke 04 Knappe

For me it will be the lowest level.

I want to test all the new features without thinking all the time that I wasted a turn or made a bad decision.

Presumably my second game will be two levels higher then :)

3. LordRahl

LordRahl The Objectivist

I'll play the tutorial mission first, which will probably have a preset level.

4. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

I'll probably play on the standard level, the one that doesn't give either the human or AI bonuses. I can't imagine playing on any easier of a level -- it's embarrassing to me if I need any bonuses to beat the AI. But I also don't want to play on any harder of a level because I don't want the AI to stomp me before I even get into the modern era.

5. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ

I'll probably play on the second lowest level.

I'll try and get a feel for the game and quit half way through because I screwed it up royally. :lol:

Can't wait though. The game looks very promising. :D

6. Willowmound

Willowmound Wordbug

The level where the AI has no bonuses and no handicaps.

7. Shiggs713

Shiggs713 Immortal

yea the "noble" level to start out and get the feel of things. Probably go up to the equivalent of monarch or immortal after awhile if its anything like civ4.

8. Berba

Berba Chieftain

First I'll go the tutorial to see the major changes, and then, in my first real game, I play on the standard difficulty

9. zehcoutinho

zehcoutinho Chieftain

I read on the announcements in the Civfanatics main page, that a magazine stated that the AI on this one actually deserves the "I". Much better than the bonus only difficulty levels.

10. blade117

blade117 The Unburnt

Wait, so instead of getting MOAR bonuses, the AI will actually become more intelligent as difficulty increases?

11. Tusked

Tusked Chieftain

I'm mostly a Prince player (bit of a civ noob) so I'll probably go for Warlord (or equivalent) my first CiV game, just to get acclimated.

12. chongli

chongli Chieftain

Balls to the wall, Deity for life!

13. cardgame

cardgame Opposed to the typical

I'll probably play it on Warlord and then progress upwards... if I can... :p

because tbh I kind of sucked at cIV.

14. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

Playing it on Deity the first time sounds excruciating. Who wants to get pummeled by the AI while you're just trying to figure out how to play? You're lucky to make it past the ancient era to even get a feel for the game.

That is, unless it's like Deity in Civ Revolution, which is pretty darn easy.

15. Shiggs713

Shiggs713 Immortal

now that you mention it that kinda sounds like fun. You'd probably get better at the game faster honestly. I learned how to play chess from playing Gary Kasparov Chess on my computer... I used to crank it up to Gary Kasparov difficulty and lose every time, but it made me much better. I can now beat most my friends even if I take my queen off the board before we start.

16. chongli

chongli Chieftain

I pretty much always play every new game at the highest difficulty level available. I don't like to wade into the kiddie pool, I dive into the deep end. I get a much better feel for it that way.

I find that if you play at lower difficulty levels, you get away with a lot of bad habits. That doesn't happen at Deity level. Those bad habits get stamped out before they even get a chance to gain a foothold.

17. Akkon888

Akkon888 한국 사람

I will play towards the lower end of difficulty. If the AI actually improves intellectually, that will be a godsend.

18. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

Assuming Firaxis have the good sense to include a tutorial, the difficulty at which I start a normal game would probably be decided after seeing how confusing or easy the tutorial was. ;)

19. Belisar

Belisar Defender of Byzanz

Unfortunately I made the experience that statements about the difficulty of a strategy game by game-magazine testers have nothing to do with actual difficulty and the quality of the AI.
    I've read this particular statement "the AI on this one actually deserves the "I" or something similar countless times, it was wrong most of the times.
    But one can hope :)

20. MethanalCHO

MethanalCHO Chieftain

I'll probably start with CiV at Cheftain/Settler/whatever will be the lowest level. I'll read the Civiliopedia and then start playing. When I feel I'm ready, I'll go up a difficulty level, until I finally win Deity (or Sid!)