Once America Elects Supreme Overlord Trump

Given that this makes the collapse of NATO and the beginning of Russian expansion into the Baltic pretty much inevitable, I won't have many places left to go. I'd try to leave the country for good if possible, but it isn't as easy as booking a flight. But I couldn't live in an openly racist and fascist state.

:lol:

Because controlling a nation's border against illegal aliens is so "racist". Hoe dare they actually want to enforce the duly passed laws of the country. :rolleyes: Also, no one has a right to immigrate and any country may create any rules they see fit, again, selecting thpse immigrants whp are most likely to fit in an asymulate is an intelligent policy not "fascism". You guys can go enjoy yourdaily Islamic terrorist attacks and having ypur culture replaced by an alien one but please don't mind if we decide we dpn't want to go down a similar route.

I am not really a big fan of Trump, and wpuld love to see viable third party candidates, but that is one policy he got right even if most of the rest are a mess. As for tge death of NATO, stop being a dullard and learn to read between the lines. Many Americans are pissed off at other NATO members for freeloading and failing to pay their fair share for DECADES. The Nato treaty requires members to spend 2% of GDP on their military yet only five of 28 countries bother to live up to this treaty requirement. Worse, most have not done so for even a single year since in the last 25 years.

Does this mean NATO will die or fall apart? No, but it does mean members who fail to live up to their treaty obligations are going tp get sanctioned or punished in some way. That is as it should be. Either start spending the money you agreed by treaty to do or you will start losing the benefits of membership. There is going to be very little tolerance for freeloading liars who break treary obligations.

Moderator Action: Name-calling is not allowed - and it is no defence to say that somebody is 'being' a dullard.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

You should not pass negative judgment on the quality of other peoples' arguments (eg. referring to their opinions or posts as 'clueless', 'moronic', 'ignorant', 'stupid', ‘fail’ etc). Some leeway is allowed to discuss the quality of peoples’ posts or what you believe their intent is, provided it is not rude or abrasive (“Nope, you haven’t convinced me”, “You should post some evidence to support your position”).

Maybe tge ampunt pf "freelpading liars" shpuld tell ypu spmething abput tge idipcy pf trying tp imppse arbitrary regulatipns that can hurt cpuntries ecpnpmically. It's npt like the NATP is severely lacking fprce npw, is it?

;););)

Moderator Action: Please do not try to parody other posters' styles, or make fun of their mistakes.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

True privilege, thinking you can move to another (better) country when politicians turn yours to pot.

It absolutely is, but I also understand why people who have the means to do so often speak of it. If you truly think you have better opportunity and a better system elsewhere, I don't fault people for seeing that as an option. Lots of people have moved to America for the same reason.

I think Nato should be abolished anyway

At least I want THE FATHERLAND to leave it

it's just kind of funny, haven't studies shown that your local city and county governments actually have a greater effect on your quality of life than anything the president does? I may be reaching a bit when I say that, but that is what I've heard. And I have a real life example of that too! My idiot house builder built our house too far back on our lot so the space we would put a deck off the back is on a storm drain easement and the county engineer won't give me a variance to allow it. Stupid local politicians!

I just think about a lot of stuff that goes on in local communities, like the failing schools in detroit near me, how much does the president really have to do with it? It's the local school boards and state governments, plus the populace leaving. Or the flint water crisis, brought on by idiot city politicians who were trying to save a buck and then by failures in other areas of government regulation to stop them.

I'd really want to see how many that threatened to leave the USA actually do.

Well my idea of moving to New Zealand/Australia has been around long before Bush II considered running for president. It's just that in the past 5 years I'm more aware that the path to moving to NZ is far easier and the path to citizenship there is just as easy too.

it's just kind of funny, haven't studies shown that your local city and county governments actually have a greater effect on your quality of life than anything the president does? I may be reaching a bit when I say that, but that is what I've heard. And I have a real life example of that too! My idiot house builder built our house too far back on our lot so the space we would put a deck off the back is on a storm drain easement and the county engineer won't give me a variance to allow it. Stupid local politicians!

I just think about a lot of stuff that goes on in local communities, like the failing schools in detroit near me, how much does the president really have to do with it? It's the local school boards and state governments, plus the populace leaving. Or the flint water crisis, brought on by idiot city politicians who were trying to save a buck and then by failures in other areas of government regulation to stop them.

This is nominally accurate, but has a major caveat.

In my little city, in order to maintain a budget that was only somewhat off balance for a short enough time that the city didn't run completely out of funding, this is what they had to do from 2007 to 2009:

Cut city staff by 50%.
Renegotiate the contract with the county sheriff, reducing law enforcement presence by 17%.
Cancel all long term road improvement contracts that had a less than 10% cancellation penalty.
Reduce city contributions to local school districts to state mandated minimums.

So, while quality of life is affected directly by the local government, it is indisputable that when the president runs the economy into the ditch it hurts.

What I will be interested to see is, once people realize that people are actually doing it and leaving...what then? Somehow I doubt Americans will be as "free" to leave as some claim they are.

I don't think it's the "I'm leaving" people who are all talk. I think it's the "you're free to leave" people.

I don't vote mostly for my own quality of life, but for a good foreign policy, fiscal politics on a state level, effects on geopolitics and international relations, legislation, policymaking and more complex factors like the environment, transparency, lobbyism and pandering to global players, biodiversity, a shift in energy sources, state subsidization, food, medicine and chemical regulations and standards.

If anything my own quality of life is probably one of the last things I take into consideration when deciding for whom I should vote, there's more important conflicts going on in the world right now, outside of where I live.

So maybe people are not only leaving because they think America is going to be a terrible place to live, but because they do not want to support a nation/regime with their tax money and their contribution to the workforce when they feel ideologically detached or even completely opposed to it. That would only be natural.

Or you could go Thoreau-style and move out into the woods while refusing to pay taxes, which is the more American thing to do in my opinion. If in response to Trump there is an innawoods movement that'd just be fantastic.

So, while quality of life is affected directly by the local government, it is indisputable that when the president runs the economy into the ditch it hurts.

But which president ran the economy into the ditch? The 2008 crisis was banks and housing markets, caused by a bubble due to deregulation and pushing bad loans. Reagan actually got the ball rolling with every american should own a house so let's let them deduct interest on their taxes, clinton had a big hand in deregulating the industry and it spiraled out of control under bush along with insane war spending we didn't need. It's not like bush took over an amazing economy and trashed it, it was at the top of a bubble and popped on his watch, but it had been building steam for 20 or so years to that point.

What I will be interested to see is, once people realize that people are actually doing it and leaving...what then? Somehow I doubt Americans will be as "free" to leave as some claim they are.

I don't think it's the "I'm leaving" people who are all talk. I think it's the "you're free to leave" people.
That's some real paranoia there.

But which president ran the economy into the ditch? The 2008 crisis was banks and housing markets, caused by a bubble due to deregulation and pushing bad loans. Reagan actually got the ball rolling with every american should own a house so let's let them deduct interest on their taxes, clinton had a big hand in deregulating the industry and it spiraled out of control under bush along with insane war spending we didn't need. It's not like bush took over an amazing economy and trashed it, it was at the top of a bubble and popped on his watch, but it had been building steam for 20 or so years to that point.

Standard Republican theory:

The economy imploded at the end of Bush's term, because eight years wasn't long enough to save it from Clinton. Obama is terrible because he hasn't fixed the damage and he's had eight whole years.

I agree that Reagan is at the heart of the current economic problems. He established the framework for endless growth of economic disparity. But that doesn't get GWBush off the hook for letting the economy implode on his watch, or the fact that his initial response was "it's bad, so let's loot the place on our way out."

I'd really want to see how many that threatened to leave the USA actually do.

I didn't threaten to leave, but I already bought my one way.

Standard Republican theory:

The economy imploded at the end of Bush's term, because eight years wasn't long enough to save it from Clinton. Obama is terrible because he hasn't fixed the damage and he's had eight whole years.

I agree that Reagan is at the heart of the current economic problems. He established the framework for endless growth of economic disparity. But that doesn't get GWBush off the hook for letting the economy implode on his watch, or the fact that his initial response was "it's bad, so let's loot the place on our way out."

When did I ever say it had anything to do with obama?

And you conveniently skipped over anything Clinton did.

Also I am not a registered republican, nor do I vote straight republican, I've voted for plenty of democrats too.

My point before all this bait and switch was it's hard to blame a singular president for the economic situation. It's the whole system in general, a lot of different parties.

Top Bottom