1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Once humans live long enough, will suicide become socially acceptable?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by imperfect.la, Jan 16, 2008.

1. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

I cant forsee suicide ever being socially acceptable.

But then again, I dont see us making Soylent Green out of people either.

2. angeleyes

angeleyes mood indigo

Without using doping? :eek:

3. GuitarHero

GuitarHero Caligula II

After a while, people just don't give a s**t about living in this plane, they're ready for the next step. It's a part of nature that can't be repressed, the acceptance that you must die, and that death is okay. I don't see life getting extended for that reason. Even if the lifespan increases, the human will still have that urge to die. Suicide will still not be accepted, though, as the new generation will not see things from the old generation's point of view, they will think that they want to outlive everyone they hate as revenge. Which is sad, because most people have little respect for their elders anymore as it is.:sad:

4. skadistic

skadistic Caomhanach

That may be your greatest post ever.

5. GuitarHero

GuitarHero Caligula II

I think I might just Edit that into it. Or put a link to it in my Sig.:D

6. ybbor

ybbor Will not change his avata

While I certainly think that the OP has some merit to it and riases an interesting question, I think we would have to see ages approach the late 200's to 300's before it really gains much credance. After all, life expectancy is much higher now than it was even a few centuries ago, and percentage wise, extneding things from 75 to 80 years at present to 120 wouldn't be all that radical a shift

7. hossam

hossam Chieftain

i dont think ill ever be ready to go into the next plane, ever. im just to scared of death.

8. GuitarHero

GuitarHero Caligula II

Does that comfort you a little?:evil:

9. Bill3000

Bill3000 OOOH NOOOOOOO! Supporter

No, it needs more cowbell.

10. Stormrage

Stormrage Ever Present Taskmaster

As far as I`m concerned, suicide is socially acceptable. Anyone is free to do it. Just don`t leave a huge mess in the bathroom or something.

11. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Not all that long ago when blood transfusions were pioneered most "chritsian" were against this even prefering to forgo this treatment in life treaterning conditions. Nowdays however the vast vast majority have no objections to this.

In the future suicide for those whom lifespans would be close to immortality could be acceptable in certain circumstances i would imagine. brain disorders, degration of mental compastity, trauma, and so on

12. MjM

MjM Chieftain

I would never get tired of living, and I take care of my body, so hopefully I'll live long.

13. West 36

West 36 Can count up to 4

Hey, pretty much everyone is, in some way. You know, that great mysterious, who-knows-whats-going-to-happen thing. An afterlife would be cool, but know one really knows. But at some point, you'll have lived here long enough, and you may well, as hard as it may seem to young people like us, want to die, to get it over with, to move on, and finally find out. You're friends and family may be dead, you won't have that same youthful energy or health, so your reasons for staying will be less. So if you want to get outta here, and it's a well thought out decision, then I guess it should be allowed, with enough people overseeing to make sure this is the right thing, of course.