One City Challenge Club (OCCC): Pericles

Ho hum. Call me Dan Quayle...
Spoiler :
Played the standard save. First time got attacked by Monty, shredded his first stack but another appeared before I could rebuild defenses. Second time, I played a very pleasing diplo game, managed to avoid war the entire time (maybe a couple of cold wars but no action), but narrowly missed the UN to Louis, who wonder-whored like ... well, like Louis. Got the internet, and stayed ahead in tech, though Catherine was always close behind. Was merrily building my spaceship while, despite my giving tech help to weaker nations, Shaka vassaled everyone but me, finishing with Cathy for a diplomation win when I was nearly ready to launch.
I guess this is what happens when one of the AIs actually has a strategy. But I think I did as well as could be expected.

Won't be trying this one again, though. Too much pressing 'return' every three minutes while watching AI cities fall to the Zulu nation...

VICTORY!

Spoiler :

Had thursday off and decided to replay it, settled differently to take advantage of the iron but I was just happy to make it through the second time around. No war declaration this time, it was pretty much shaka & vassals vs. the rest of the world other than me for most of the game. Part of the ease of this game came from the aztecs losing the border city to barbs and not regaining it for a very long time followed by them capitulating to shaka early on. I went jewish to help diplo with shaka and keep him madder at someone else for most of the game and just hoped the other religions would be too busy and they were.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0013.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0013.JPG
    175.5 KB · Views: 217
Default Save (Prince/Epic)

1975 Space Win

Spoiler :

In this game, live or die by diplo. The AI gets massive amounts of land on garbage + small so you have to be careful. Early in the game oracle was used for CoL, which converted monty. Diplo was tense...charlie buddhist, louis/shaka/cathy hindu, monty confucian. I actually used Paya for FR, since that was the only civic I could run and stay alive.

Other than that, the main tactic was to keep bribing the AIs into wars, but try to keep any one from getting out of control. I failed. Shaka capped louis and charlie, but it murdered his tech. He couldn't put up domination because cathy ran away in tech (just behind me), and justinian made a peacevassal bullcrap colony so he wouldn't capitulate...that and I had a 1 warrior garrison that murdered world average power. In other words, I abused the BROKEN CAP MECHANICS that usually plague me, in reverse, by cheesing the system. Go to hell game.

As for me, I had shaka/cathy @ friendly by late game (was in a lot of phony wars with shaka's first 2 vassals "helping" him), and was sitting in DPs with them when they weren't at war (cathy never declared on anyone actually).

Cathy had fiber optics and fusion to go when I won. Internet did very little for me frustratingly, since only cathy was getting any space techs before I'd get them, and I needed 2 AIs for that. Still, my empire ultimately went untouched despite being at war half the time, all the way to space.

Default save, Space win in 1954

Spoiler :
Fairly routine from the last spoilers. With a dominating tech lead, it was fairly straightforward to keep a world war going to constantly bribbing AI's to join on side or the other. I managed to stay out of it for the most part, and with more than an era tech advantage, my small millitary was easily able to repel the token stacks sent to my territory when I did jump in once in a while for mutual struggles bonis.

With the world mostly at war with each other, the diplomatic victories where never a serious threat, and it was just a matter of keeping everyone happy enough with me to prevent a full on attack (which was pretty easy, as I just gave in to most demands and constantly gifted techs, or traded them at insane discounts.)

With that, building the ship was no problem, and the only annoying bit was that at the end, it was taking some 2 minutes a turn between me hitting enter, since all the Ai combat had to be resolved.

Top Bottom