1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

One city challenge is stupid beyond believe!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by hardcore_gamer, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Strategy Master

Strategy Master Chieftain

One city challenge is great for raking in social policies. 33 ish policies before i finally got utopia project built not including two times i switched to autocracy from freedom (both fully upgraded) and peity and freedom. Its insane if you have all the culture wonders and bonuses you rake in new policies every 5 to 6 turns with only 1 city.

2. cman2010

cman2010 King

I did the occ and found it to be fun and very challenging one of the few satisfying victorys I had with this game. As someone else stated its "one city challenge" not "one city cake walk". I think the op is a little dense.

3. bryanw1995

bryanw1995 Emperor

huh? OCC is custom-made for a cultural game. I've only done one, I played it on emperor small continents. I think I won on turn 329. I never got into a war b/c nobody thought I was expanding too fast, I build ~ 1/2 the wonders, my territory looked like artist spam by the end. and that was pre-patch, post-patch with tradition and piety buffed it should be even easier. I've seen people go conquering on a OCC and that's also an option, but on anything up to emperor it's still pretty easy. Maybe I'll try a pangea OCC immortal game next...that should be fun.

4. bryanw1995

bryanw1995 Emperor

every enemy city including capitals is auto-razed immediately, no waiting 7 turns with high unhappiness. pre-patch you didn't even get any gold for conquering them, don't know about now. don't remember if settler is in your build list or not but it would make sense for them to remove it.

5. smileyy90210

smileyy90210 Chieftain

Not only can you, you are forced to. And, well, not so much raze, as they disappear instantaneously. I was disappointed that C.S.'s aren't auto-liberated. They just cease to exist. In my OCC, Alexander had taken my neighboring ally C.S. I was hoping to have friendly territory as a buffer (and lots of loyalty from the C.S.), so I took it back. It just went poof, and Alexander re-settled that territory.

That's a sad lack of polish :(

6. Methos

Methos HoF Quattromaster Super Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

This would make the game way too easy. Now, playing MP with everyone having OCC would be fun, but forcing the AI to go OCC seems to me like playing settler level on training wheels.

As others have said, its an option that must be checked in order to play. Personally, I love OCC games. It makes the game so much more interesting, but that's a personal preference.

The main difference is that with OCC checked you cannot puppet other cities and everything is set to auto-raze. If you play a normal game without OCC checked, then puppeting is still an option and you temporarily have more then one city, since any city you are razing is considered as yours until it is fully razed.

Personally, I think it would be boring and way too easy, but that's just my preference. I'm sure if you went to the Civ V C&C forum you could probably find someone who is willing to create a mod for you that forces the AI to go OCC too.

I would suggest you first try and play at least one OCC game to its completion before tossing it out. An OCC game is played very differently then a typical game IMO and much more fun. Diplomacy is much more important in OCC then a non-OCC game.

7. tylor

tylor Warlord

I'm trying OCC wit Siam on Emperor (6 civs, 28 CS, pangea) now... Well, everything goes OK more or less, but I'm in a dire need of money. Army eats lots of shinies, and so are CS-s, even with Patronage branch completed. I trade all lux I can away, but other civs accepts very few lux deals.

8. Methos

I assume by now your city is fairly good size, so one thing you could do is switch farms to trading posts. That should help a lot.

9. Smote

Smote Emperor

The funny thing in one city challenge is that the city states can actually conquer cities, while the player can't, making the player arguably less than a city state.

10. tylor

tylor Warlord

That's still not much. May be 60 total with buffs. 10 units can eat half of that, and rest is enoigh fo upkeep of may be 6 CSs.

11. Samuil

Samuil Warlord

Personally, I loved the one city challenge...
    Razed maybe 20 cities, but in the end lost to the despicable English who spread through the Pangaea like mushrooms...

12. jacyp

jacyp Winter Lover

And that's why it's...

A CHALLENGE.

If you wanna play like there's no room for making more than one city play on duel sized maps with lots of civs added.

13. Malkaviel

Malkaviel Prince

Ever had a capital over size 45?

14. tylor

tylor Warlord

Is it possible in Civ5?

15. Malkaviel

Malkaviel Prince

yes. maritime city state nerf did not hit "food to capital" and beeline penicillin.

16. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Its a CHALLENGE... not "one city option" but one city Challenge... and it auto razes cities you conquer, including CS and original capitals

17. Celevin

Celevin King

I'm not even into Ren, have 1 Maritime city state, and my capitol has 50 excess food at size 18. I think it's definitely possible to reach size 45. :)

(PS: go go Aztecs)

18. Methos

It's hard to say without seeing your game then. I can't recall my best, but I know I've played at least one OCC game where I was pulling in around 300 :gold:/turn.

19. tylor

tylor Warlord

Is it without puppet states?

Also, what is the formula of food required for next pop?

20. Venereus

Venereus This Is Streamlined!

It just makes a Cultural Victory very appealing.