One City Challenge?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by lindsay40k, Oct 16, 2016.

?

does you does or does you don't OCC

Poll closed Oct 23, 2016.
  1. I tend to play with the setting on

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. I tend not to build Settlers if I can help it

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  3. I tend to cover the world with as many cities as I can

10 vote(s)
    22.7%
  4. I try to settle the optimum number of cities for the map and victory condition I have in mind

29 vote(s)
    65.9%
  1. lindsay40k

lindsay40k Emperor

Both as a specifically chosen setting and as a general approach to specific circumstances in a 'normal' game, how's things looking for players who like to go pure Tall?

2. Baconissweet

Baconissweet Chieftain

3. Zantetsuken

Zantetsuken Chieftain

I'm generally a fan of building tall, though I think that the game all-around will be wider with the district system and such

That being said I've had quite a few fun games as Venice

4. ExemplarVoss

ExemplarVoss Prince

Never really seen the point of this.

But it doesn't seem doable at all for Civ 6. Maybe on chieftain, but generating the culture/production/science/tourism necessary just doesn't seem viable with a single city. Too many space limitations on districts and wonders while trying to maintain decent food and production.

3 or 4 specialized cities seem the best route for Tall (or rather, Not Wide) on Prince. Probably won't be able to keep up with the bonuses that get handed to AIs on the highest difficulty levels.

5. King Jason

King Jason Fleece-bearer

catering to OCC play the way civ5 did removed the entire point of OCC in the first place as a concept; it's a challenge.

I expect OCC to make a triumphant return in civ6, where the game isn't augmented in such a way that one city can reasonably keep up with rest of the world. OCC was an erroneous acronym in civ5 - it was simply one city mode, as there are numerous handicaps in that game that make playing small, or "tall" viable.

In civ4 and previous versions, which had no real design elements for "tall" play at all, winning with 1 city actually was a challenge, and hence the introduction of the play choice.

6. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Also to return should be bonuses for OCC setting (in civ4 you could build more national wonders in that 1 city, and you didn't have to have 6 buildings to get the national Wonder)

In civ6 I fully believe Eurekas for OCC will only need one building/district instead of multiple copies.

7. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

I just want to cover the whole world by expanding. If possible even without fighting wars.

So, yeah, no matter the gains or costs, I'll keep building Settlers and try to expand to every bit of unclaimed land. Heck, I even played games in Civ 5 where I played on a huge map with 1 AI opponent that I manually set to Venice and then I just tried to expand as much as I could. Never made it because of that dumb global happyness system though, but maybe I can try again in 6... I just want to see the whole world covered in cities that I built myself, that feel "mine".

rreebb likes this.
  8. vetiver

vetiver Chieftain

I don't care for OCC to be honest. Yeah, it's definitely a challenge, but not one I'm looking to pursue anytime soon. In Civilization VI it looks increasingly absentminded to try a OCC with the current format. Maybe if there are viable options for it in a coming expansion. Otherwise it's just foolish.

9. Sprenk

Sprenk Prince

Well, as a OCC lover, I look at it slightly differently :) Obviously it's not an optimal way to achieve a high score or a quick win. It's supposed to be a self-imposed limitation, a challenge--you know, like playing billiards with your off-hand.

I play to play my first few Civ 6 games expanding and conquering and growing like everyone else. At some point, however, once the optimal strats get worked out, and the challenge starts to wear thin, I'll no doubt try out OCC's. Besides, I LIKE micro-managing cities, but that gets overwhelming when you get too many to manage. Hence the idea of focusing on just one. The game goes fast. You don't feel like you're just winging all the details to plow through the game.

It will be interesting to see how many difficulty levels we'll have to scale back to make OCC work. In Civ 5 BNW I was (eventually) able to win some OCC's at immortal, so the gap wasn't that great. I suspect it will be harder with Civ 6.

10. vetiver

vetiver Chieftain

To be completely honest, I'm not good enough to play the game with only one city. I definitely understand the thrill of that challenge for those who master every single aspect of the game, but for me it'd be like trying to master Formula 1 in London rush hour.

Toastypie likes this.
  11. Olleus

Olleus Deity

The fact that bonuses are additive rather than multiplicative, there are no national wonders, and the number of world wonders is limited will make OCC very hard. Much harder than in Civ5 (obviously), but also Civ4.

12. playshogi

playshogi Emperor

The easiest, cheesy way to win OCC on deity is a religious victory using a duel map against Kongo. Kongo loves religion being spread to his cities.

13. elitetroops

elitetroops Deity

Actually, with the right setup OCC is one of the easiest ways to grab a cheesy deity victory in Civ 4. Back in the days I got my first ever deity win as OCC UN victory. You eliminate the hard part of competing with AI for territory, there's no struggle with high deity upkeep costs and all you need to focus on is picking the right research path, tech trading and making sure everyone likes you. The other option is to enable permanent alliances, ally with the strongest AI and use them to win domination or space. In the Civ4 HoF tables there are still a few games played with this strategy holding #1 deity/space slots.

Back to the topic of Civ VI, I think OCC needs some radically different rules to be viable. It will be interesting to see what those are, if implemented.

14. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

I'
    I'm thinking they don't need to change too much. (Mostly building based Eurekas)
    OCC would probably rely on religion or wide spread CS (ways to get more resources that don't rely on your own cities)
    It would still be a significant challenge.

15. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

I helped popularize OCC with Civ2 back on Apolyton and it came about solely because the hardest level was laughably easy to beat. It gave us some semblance of a challenge until it became formulaic. True OCC (as oppose to Venice) in Civ5 was a lot of fun but with the purposeful design of spamming cities in Civ6, OCC might be interesting.

16. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

OCC is designed as a challenge. It's still probably possible. I don't think you should view it as something that's designed to be a normal playstyle, though.

17. StittsvileJamie

StittsvileJamie Chieftain

Civ 6: Putting the C back in OCC.

18. Bkeela

Bkeela Warlord

I've never tried the OCC. If there was an achievement for it I might be so inclined, but otherwise I'm hungry for territory, and with Civ VI this will be the case more than ever if only to make that ugly map fog of war recede away.