1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

One city in 3x3 grid

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by BenZL43, Jul 29, 2011.

1. BenZL43

BenZL43 Physician - still can't spell this correctly.

Why Rhye set that only 1 city can be built in a 3x3 grid?
    What's the disadvantages of having 2 or more cities?
    Like, in ancient times, Cities were heavily concentrated in Tigris/Euphrates or Nile..

What should be changed so we could build city in any tiles we like without considering there's another city near?

2. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

Oh, Rhye is not to blame here. CivIV (and Civ games in general) are configured to not have cities on adjacent tiles. Its part of the game concept, so the speak. I guess it would be moddable, but I doubt I'd like the results. :p

3. killerkebab

killerkebab Chieftain

If anything you should thank Rhye. In Regular Civ IV, you need two tiles (i.e: only one city in a 5x5 grid!) if I recall correctly :)

4. deanej

deanej Chieftain

Ever hear of tile overlap? Two cities can't work the same tile. You're just hurting your cities if you found them too close.

5. BenZL43

Yeah.. IIRC too, normal Civilization IV itself set that only 1 city in 5x5 grid..
    What I wonder, why?

@deanej I've tried WB my city to be adjacent one to another, the only disadvantage I found is rather than able to improve 9 tiles around, I can only improve 8 tiles... but what's the major disadvantages for that?

6. Wessel V1

Wessel V1 Chieftain

The other city can only work 4. Don't forget that if you allow the AI to settle cities next to each other, it can build them on every single tile. Which means that cities can be limited to it's very single tile. Sometimes you must protect the AI against itself.:)

7. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

Something I've contemplated is to have "migrating cities". So, the makeup of AI cities in a region (pre-defined cluster of map tiles) would change with time. Towns would mushroom before turning into a new city, while old cities "collapse" into Towns when obsoleted. So there would always be, say, 3-4 cities in, say, a region like Italy or Spain, but which cities those would be - and more importantly - what tiles they occupy - would change over time. The urban centers of civilization would of course be scripted historically.

The human German player, however, would in turn get a pop-up asking if he, for instance, wants to migrate the capital of Regensburg to the more up-to-date location of Berlin. That is; one tile eastward. All buildings and settled GP would of course make the transition, while the old spot would yield extra Commerce - as long as the Town isn't replaced with another improvement.

8. deanej

deanej Chieftain

Improved =/= worked. Improved means the tile has an improvement on it (eg cottage, farm, plains, etc.). Worked means that a citizen from the city is assigned to the tile, adding its yield to the city each turn. A tile can only be worked by one citizen at a time, so if one city is working a tile that overlaps with another city, the other city can't work it, no matter what.

9. BenZL43

I see..
    But that's the only disadvantages, right?
    IMO I prefer less tiles worked than unhistorical condition like when Babylon spread to Anatolia or Egypt spread to Libya because there's no more place to build city hehe

10. Tyo

Tyo HANDS HIGH TO THE SOUND Moderator

less tiles worked-less powerful cities, hurting production severly. I hate it when an enemy destroys a mine over an iron or copper, that then cripples that city's production for a while. Current 3x3 is fine imo.

11. BenZL43

Oh! I see!
    That's what I expected of.
    Powerful City.
    well that's explain the logic.
    Thanks everybody!

-THREAD CLOSED-