1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

One Civ, Many Worlds

Discussion in 'News Updates' started by Thunderfall, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Thunderfall

Thunderfall Administrator Administrator Moderator

2K Games has sent over another excerpt from The Chronicles of Civilization, a 96-page book included within the recently released Sid Meier's Civilization Chronicles. This chapter is called "One Civ, Many Worlds" in which Civilization IV lead designer Soren Johnson writes about the Civilization community and its positive impact on the evolution of the game.

Soren starts by talking about his first experience with Civilization and how he got hired by Firaxis. Then he describes the many ways Civ games are being played in the community, such as succession games, Game of the Month, Hall of Fame, democracy games, MP ladders, NES, PBEM, and Pitboss. The last part of the article is about the modding community. Many of the popular mods are mentioned, including Double Your Pleasure, Fall from Heaven, BlueMarble, Ancient Mediterranean, Rhye’s of Civilization, and others.

Thanks to Soren Johnson for writing this thorough article about the Civ community!

>> Read the article!

2. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Chieftain

Absolutely! Though I hope they don't forget their core customers, the ones who simply buy the game and play it alone out of the box.

Incidentally, I am intrigued by this item in Johnson's article: "In fact, I found out directly from Apolyton that due to some internal turmoil at Firaxis during early 2000, the company was in need of programmers to work on Civ III." Has that something to do with Brian Reynolds' departure? Or shouldn't one ask?

3. Thunderfall

Thunderfall Administrator Administrator Moderator

4. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Chieftain

Thank you! Though I'm not impressed by the article writer's command of the English language. Take this gem, for example: "It seems unlikely that losing designers as amazingly qualified as these four has got to be a major setback. " Ouch! indeed.

5. culdeus

culdeus Chieftain

Looks to me he could use a ghost writer. Sheesh.

6. Broken Hawk

Broken Hawk Chieftain

Does anyone know what the card game is like?

7. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

So what happened to that Dinos game?

8. MarineCorps

MarineCorps Explosion!

No mention of SOE? Kinda suprised. It's the biggest mod out there. Long long turns through.

9. Gaurav

Gaurav Chieftain

Well, I'd like to thank Soren for mentioning my mod in his article.