One in Three Britons Would Like to Leave the UK

Admittedly when I'm in NY I stay with my sister who lives in Bed-Stuy so my standards may not be high but I've noticed a piss smell in quite a few places. But the absolute worst smell in NY is the subway elevators. If you have a baby and a stroller you're better off just picking it up and using the stairs.

I think that is American.

Reading the article a couple of points stand out to me:

Gallup said:
For complete data sets or custom research from the more than 150 countries Gallup continually surveys, please contact SocialandEconomicAnalysis@gallup.com or call 202.715.3030.

So they surveyed 150 countries, and put up a list of 25 with Britain at the top? And instead of linking the source material you have to email them for it? Sensationalism?

Gallup said:
Among Britons who say they would like to migrate, 2% say they are planning to move in the next 12 months. This percentage is much lower than in many other places in the European Union.

So is this actually saying that most britains like complaining (more than most countries), but are not prepared to do anything about it (less than many countries). This rings quite true to me WRT my experience of the British character compared to other countries.

So they surveyed 150 countries, and put up a list of 25 with Britain at the top? And instead of linking the source material you have to email them for it? Sensationalism?

It means they listed the top 25 European countries. It's not a hard concept to grasp.

It means they listed the top 25 European countries. It's not a hard concept to grasp.

Are you sure? But you may well be right, I cannot see a major one that is obviously missing from that list.

I was wondering how the "no such thing as society" thing started by Maggie had to do with it, but I susspect it is more to do with the love of complaining.

Especially Scotland. I've been told that's a place to avoid.
Depends what you want.
  • If you want friendly people then Glasgow, the largest city in Scotland, is better than anywhere else in the UK.
  • If you want good weather, then yes avoid it (unless your idea of good weather involves wet roads 40% of the time).
  • If you want the best scenery in Britain or the best whisky in the world, you can't beat Scotland.
  • If you want gourmet food, yes avoid it (unless you like offal or deep-fried pizza).
  • If you want a great healthcare system that's even free to visitors, Scotland's for you.
  • If you dislike calling on that healthcare because of the mold infested air, better avoid it.

Reading the article a couple of points stand out to me:

I think you are misreading that. That is just a promo thing, they regularly do surveys in 150 countries. This survey was only in the countries listed:

Article said:
Results are based on telephone and face-to-face interviews with approximately 1,000 adults, aged 15 and older, conducted between May and August 2010 in the countries referenced in this article.
It was an EU survey (except apparently Estonia and Latvia were skipped for some reason).

You are my personal hero for being one of the few Commonwealthers who are aware that "whining" only has one G.

Thanx. Its an old stereotype here but the Germans whine alot more than the Brits.

Lately I have been dealing with a lot of Asians whining.

Probably because most of the foreigners I meet are Asian and usually come from places that don't get too cold and snowy.

So is this actually saying that most britains like complaining (more than most countries), but are not prepared to do anything about it (less than many countries). This rings quite true to me WRT my experience of the British character compared to other countries.
Yup, par for the course as Britain goes.

You are my personal hero for being one of the few Commonwealthers who are aware that "whining" only has one G.

Where do the rest of them put the other 'G'? If it's after the first N it's an entirely different word but meaning much the same thing 'whinging'.

Where do the rest of them put the other 'G'? If it's after the first N it's an entirely different word but meaning much the same thing 'whinging'.

First off, "whinge" is not an American English word - this is what Dachs is referring to. Second off, their primary meanings are different: whining's primary meaning is "a long-drawn, high-pitched complaining cry or sound", whinging's primary meaning is just "a cry". Second off, their other meaning is slightly different: for whinge, it's just "a complaint", while for whine, it's "a complaint or criticism." Therefore whining has a slightly different (but superior as it means something more than merely complaining) meaning.

So were both right. :p

Are you sure? But you may well be right, I cannot see a major one that is obviously missing from that list.

I was wondering how the "no such thing as society" thing started by Maggie had to do with it, but I susspect it is more to do with the love of complaining.

Gallup's tagline is generic there - they do survey stuff in 150 countries, if you want stuff from them, contact them.

Top Bottom