One of the craziest earth games ever I've played

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Starkow, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Starkow

Starkow Baby Thor

I thought I'd share this with everyone as I was absolutely blown away at the result of this game. Normally on Earth 18 (earth 24 mod but only 18 civs as I use a mac) the AI is just too stupid to take advantage of its extremely well placed start but holy crap that was not the case in this game :eek:

I decided to play as Japan but forgo attacking china and securing victory but instead try and build a pacific empire based on trade routes (GLH and free market really pulled through)

Bullets on a few noteworthy differences

• Early in the game, Bismarck who usually manages to become a power, is a non factor.
    • Russia becomes a monster early and manages to start up a decent empire in the territory it's given.
    • Saladin is holding his own against Persia and Egypt, partly because he was able to found a religion.
    • Asoka is also holding his own in India and is teching waaaay past the world. (At one point he was in the modern age 200 years before anyone else)
    • Mongolia is a power and hasn't had its butt kicked by China
    • Mansa Musa only has two cities!? But he managed to get hinduism and is for once well liked.
    Now that the empires are layed out for you, everything now gets to go to hell.

Europe gangs up on Bismark who loses his empire to catherine (she gets latvia). The vikings who get their city back (stockholm region) from a culture flip, and france who gets berlin in a culture flip from the Romans who captured it. The romans then go and rip apart the ottomans who manage to get their capital back and ankara (same region as the real ankara).

Everyone then dogpiles Egypt, who was able to found christianity, islam and judaism and have a beautiful empire going (as always on earth maps). I really thought Hatty was going to be a huge threat. Not at all. By mid game she has been torn apart but Saladin, Cyrus, Alexander (who managed to get a city on the coast and make a great addition to his empire), Shaka (who makes additions with southern cities) and... Catherine?:dubious:

This was ridiculous, she managed to take two mid Nile cities and then carve out huge swaths of land for herself in Africa. Russia has now established a soon to be astonishing foothold in Africa.

Vassals are now going off like crazy and five super powers are established.

Qin of China has a couple of European civs
    Asoka of India also has a few European civs
    Catherine of Russia has none but is HUGE
    Shaka of the Zulu has none but is also HUGE
    Kublai of Mongolia has non and is HUGE

And there I was teching along fighting the occasional war at my mainland city of Osaka (modern day Seoul)

Then Shaka declares on Mansa Musa (another smart move by the AI, wtf?) and takes out his empire.

Hatty and Mansa musa have now been destroyed and 2/3 of Africa is Zulu.
    Thebes, I think is under control of Catherine.
    Saladin declares on catherine and gets Thebes and holds off stacks as Catherine now focuses on Alexander.
    She takes his african city and Athens and now Greece is gone. More smart AI... I was really starting to **** my pants at this.

Shaka declares on Victoria and takes a city in the british Isles :eek: She vassalizes to him.
    Cyrus, who is large but not the usual monster he is on Earth 18, vassalizes to Catherine.

Then everyone dogpiles Asoka, who has been in the modern age far longer than any civ and holds a massive tech lead. He should be able to hold his own right?

No. He's split up by china, persia and catherine who razes a city or two. Persia breaks free.
    Catherine now declares on shaka and one by one takes every city in Africa up to his last three in the southern tip. ****. Catherine is now ridiculously powerful and controls nearly all of africa.
    Shaka vassalizes to Saladin? :eek:

Qin and Russia, the two leading super powers fight a quasi war, I finish asoka as he has one city left in the pacific in a nice spot.

The world powers are now

China
    Mongolia
    Arabia
    Persia
    Russia

Everyone starts space racing and I had given up long ago seeing that I had absolutely no production and the mess of vassals and super powers were too ridiculous to attempt to claim some land for myself. I manage to colonize North america fully but its just 2 votes under catherine for the UN vote. I sit back and watch as Qin takes the space race victory.

Easily one of the most fascinating games I have ever played. I'll give my props to the AI for going up 10 IQ points for this game as, for although I lost, it was so much fun to watch as super powers formed, minor nations participated, lost and won wars and a realistic portrayal of the starts was played out (the civs actually took advantage to the point where the could effectively change the game).

The final. Spoilered cuz it might break the page.
    Spoiler :

I'll attach a save if anyone cares to look at it. Earth 24 mod, warlords.

Attached Files:

2. Ramesses

Ramesses Ruler. Visionary. Pimp.

Wow. Just... wow.

3. omnimutant

omnimutant Warlord

Sounds Like a great game. Having Never played earth 18 scenario I figured why not give it a try! Unfortunately I started as Capac and ironically he starts completely Land Locked by mountains with no reasonable workable space. So I guess they forgot to actually test this scenario? :(

Maybe I'll try Monte next time.

4. Starkow

Starkow Baby Thor

I'd start with a civ in the old world, the isolated start is really hard to work with. Just go into world builder and put a hill in the southern tip of the mountain range, everyone does that.

5. omnimutant

omnimutant Warlord

I can appreciate that. Was Hoping for the whole European Invader experience :viking:

Yea maybe I'll try the Hill trick. Thanks for the heads up.

6. mechaerik

mechaerik Tuturuu!

What I would give to have seen that game, it sounds EPIC!

7. Stoney the I

Stoney the I Prince

good story!

what diff did you play on? And was AI on aggro?

8. dwaxe

dwaxe is not a fanatic

Huayna Capac would get almost all the wonders if he didn't have such a crappy start, so it's even :D.

9. Starkow

Starkow Baby Thor

I played on prince as I had little intention of attacking china and didn't know how well I'd fare with the pacific empire strategy. AI was not aggressive either which is why my mind has sort of been blown

10. Rodman49

Rodman49 Chieftain

One of my only few gripes about this map is that there isn't any god damn fish off the western coast of South America. I mean, WTF, its like the biggest fishing area in the entire world, it should have like five fish resources.

The scenario itself isn't particularly balanced as it is trying to be geographically accurate. Rome is by far the best Civ in this scenario and will almost certainly conquer all of mainland Europe if controlled by a human (even in multiplayer!). England is typically the only free nation left after Roman conquest, although they can shift the balance of power back if they survive until they get their Unique Unit (Redcoats).

Having said that - I have won as America; I had to nuke Asoka in order to keep him from building the space ship before me. The New World Civs are always behind in tech - but if you manage to pick up something Europe has missed you can catch up in tech in one or two turns!

Awesome story Starkow, I still thinking kicking China's . .. .. .. . in is the way to go as Japan, interesting to see that much war without aggressive AI turned on.

11. Notadolfhitler

Notadolfhitler Chieftain

Now that is a crazy game, reminds me of the time when i was playing on a big and small map with:
    Shaka
    Pacal
    Survayaman
    Napoleon (Me)
    Willem Van Oranje
    Montezuma
    Saladin
    Pericles
    Ragnar

I was stuck on a small island with montezuma, and founded taoism. I only knew monte so far in the game. Then out of nowhere shaka comes at a storming 2k points. I was :O. It turns out he vassaled Ragnar, pacal, survayaman and conquered 1/2 of the big island. In short i won the game through space race only because im smart enough to ally myself with willy throughout the game o/ willy.

12. globaooba

globaooba The Wolpertinger

more than wow! that's insane!

13. Isikien

Isikien WHOA

I think Kublai explains why Mongolia didn't get a whipping. I generally consider him to be the cleverer of the Khans. Though GK is good at bum rushing people

Incredibly awesome sounding games. Those sort of things are what should make a Civ game exciting, the idea that there is something else going on in the world other than on your borders